For someone who wants to study law at uni - ATAR estimate please =) (1 Viewer)

NBGHHS

HSC
Based on overall assessment marks

Adv Eng - 91% (1/36)
2u Maths - 92% (1/27)
3U Maths - 80% (3/5)
Economics- 91% (1/10)
Legal Studies - 95% (1/39)
Biology - completed in 2011 and received a 95 HSC mark

School Rank - 350~

Thoughts? Which subject can i try to improve on to achieve a higher ATAR?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Clearly you need to improve on Ext. 1 Maths (i.e. make up for not being first).

Where are you thinking of studying?

NBGHHS

HSC

Im thinking of studying B Com/Law at UNSW. So obviously that's a 99.65 ATAR requirement. Being a school captain allows me to scalp one extra ATAR point.

How can i improve on MX1 seeing how my school assessment is over? Can an improvement be made in the HSC externals itself?

SunnyScience

HSC
Im thinking of studying B Com/Law at UNSW. So obviously that's a 99.65 ATAR requirement. Being a school captain allows me to scalp one extra ATAR point.

How can i improve on MX1 seeing how my school assessment is over? Can an improvement be made in the HSC externals itself?
It shouldn't even matter. They only take your best 10 units for your ATAR anyway - it probably won't count for you, since you're doing so amazing in your other subjects.

NBGHHS

HSC
It shouldn't even matter. They only take your best 10 units for your ATAR anyway - it probably won't count for you, since you're doing so amazing in your other subjects.
Is Talent100 ATAR calculator legit? It told me that i needed to get an 85+ in MX1 for it to be counted as one of the 10 units...damn

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
Is Talent100 ATAR calculator legit? It told me that i needed to get an 85+ in MX1 for it to be counted as one of the 10 units...damn
The calculator uses your Aligned moderated marks. But generally it gives you a pretty good idea of your marks needed.

enoilgam

HSC
It scales very very well. I would say 97.5+, its hard to give you a solid estimate, because you are coming first in most of your subjects which means that your ATAR will mostly be determined by your external performance. Given you got 95 in biology, I would say that you are probably a very strong student, so I think mid-99 is possible.

Alkanes

HSC

Hmm not really. His other units are solid enough for his desired ATAR. Everything you want now is dependant on your external exams. Goodluck

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
Hmm not really. His other units are solid enough for his desired ATAR. Everything you want now is dependant on your external exams. Goodluck
I think Ozko implied that really there is nothing he can improve on since he is at the top of all his classes (besides Ext 1)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It scales quite well so it's worth performing very well in Ext. 1 Maths.

NBGHHS

HSC
The calculator uses your Aligned moderated marks. But generally it gives you a pretty good idea of your marks needed.
I'm not too familiar with this term, care to aware? :p

It scales very very well. I would say 97.5+, its hard to give you a solid estimate, because you are coming first in most of your subjects which means that your ATAR will mostly be determined by your external performance. Given you got 95 in biology, I would say that you are probably a very strong student, so I think mid-99 is possible.
Is my school ranking (below average) affecting me? As far as i am concerned, exams have been fair and quite difficult.
So to get a 99 i need to be getting what range of marks in the external?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Is my school ranking (below average) affecting me? As far as i am concerned, exams have been fair and quite difficult.
School rankings per se don't have an effect on your marks.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
I'm not too familiar with this term, care to aware? :p

Your school rank won't exact affect you. It is last years performance. We merely use it as an indicator. For example, James Ruse is consistently ranked first place. Hence we assume students will achieve more- despite this being previous cohort performances, we use it as an indicator. Similarly, other schools ranks will change significantly, so it technically won't impact you as it is last years performance. As I said, it merely is an indicator.

I will explain aligning and moderating.
Aligning is the process of which the BOS alignings your raw mark into bands. i.e. your raw mark of 75% in maths could be a band six, hence your mark is aligned to a band 6. (However you don't get to see your raw mark, unless you pay for it)

Moderating, is scaling. The calculator will scale your mark. Hence, each year will have a different scalling

NBGHHS

HSC
Your school rank won't exact affect you. It is last years performance. We merely use it as an indicator. For example, James Ruse is consistently ranked first place. Hence we assume students will achieve more- despite this being previous cohort performances, we use it as an indicator. Similarly, other schools ranks will change significantly, so it technically won't impact you as it is last years performance. As I said, it merely is an indicator.

I will explain aligning and moderating.
Aligning is the process of which the BOS alignings your raw mark into bands. i.e. your raw mark of 75% in maths could be a band six, hence your mark is aligned to a band 6. (However you don't get to see your raw mark, unless you pay for it)

Moderating, is scaling. The calculator will scale your mark. Hence, each year will have a different scalling

Okay that jogs the memory from what i read a while ago. So it all comes down to externals eh?
I think this means online ATAR calculators are practically redundant...since it's all based of an exam done in the previous year with a different cohort.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay that jogs the memory from what i read a while ago. So it all comes down to externals eh?
I think this means online ATAR calculators are practically redundant...since it's all based of an exam done in the previous year with a different cohort.
Not really.

The calculations don't really change that much across years.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC

Not really. Generally patterns form.

Well....This would only apply for subjects which have had their syllabuses changed. You will find generally things follow patterns. (I don't mean school performances, I mean general state cohort performances. For example, the last few years a raw mark of 75% in maths would get you a band 6, however the syllabus has changed. So the aligning will change too.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you're looking around in the 98s region atm, but really given your great HSC bio performance and the fact you are 1 in most subs mean it's really up to your externals, so you could still get in the 99s.

Just wondering, in MX1 do the people beating you do MX2 and not in your maths ranks, or do they just do MX1 too?

NBGHHS

HSC
great biology mark :)
Thanks mate =)

I think you're looking around in the 98s region atm, but really given your great HSC bio performance and the fact you are 1 in most subs mean it's really up to your externals, so you could still get in the 99s.

Just wondering, in MX1 do the people beating you do MX2 and not in your maths ranks, or do they just do MX1 too?
Oh that's awesome then! I guess I've got to buckle down a bit.
Yeah, those guys beating me in 3u do 4u. They be pro while i sit there scraping band 5s

ncoul

HSC
You will have to attain the cutoff as bonus points don't apply to law at UNSW. In saying this, your school's rank, relative to the size of your cohort, leaves the odds against you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)