For those who have sat it: Is umat easier than gamsat or other way around ? (1 Viewer)

Anousha

HSC
well, I'm planning to take the alternative pathway into med (completing a undergrad course and applying for post-grad med) and I was wondering which exam is easier, regardless I have to sit both each year :))))))

iStudent

HSC
You guys didn't even sit the GAMSAT...

Regardless, that's what they say - that GAMSAT is harder. I'd prob take it with a grain of salt though. You're competing with different people. Arguably, the UMAT is more competitive since you're competing with everyone (including those sitting GAMSAT). GAMSAT should be less competitive since you're competing with the remaining people who didn't make it (though, there is less med and maybe dent positions through GAMSAT so that's something to consider as well...)

The exam itself might be harder (since it's longer, requires extensive preparation etc.) but the actual part where you compete to get in might not.

Haven't sat GAMSAT myself, but that's my 2 cents.

Anousha

HSC
You guys didn't even sit the GAMSAT...

Regardless, that's what they say - that GAMSAT is harder. I'd prob take it with a grain of salt though. You're competing with different people. Arguably, the UMAT is more competitive since you're competing with everyone (including those sitting GAMSAT). GAMSAT should be less competitive since you're competing with the remaining people who didn't make it (though, there is less med and maybe dent positions through GAMSAT so that's something to consider as well...)

The exam itself might be harder (since it's longer, requires extensive preparation etc.) but the actual part where you compete to get in might not.

Haven't sat GAMSAT myself, but that's my 2 cents.
hmmmm it's just that I've heard from people here and there, from medical interns that the GAMSAT is much easier as it requires 'knowledge and understanding' something that an individual can prepare for, whereas UMAT, yes theres prep courses to get yourself use to the style of questions/categories but you can't really 'study' for it as its an unpredictable exam. No matter, what to get into med, and the 5-7 full time study ain't easy :( requires ALOT of diligence and commitment.

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
I thought GAMSAT was much harder than the UMAT. I've done both. I'd take UMAT over GAMSAT despite the fact I performed better in GAMSAT.

GAMSAT section 1 was almost like reading another language. Yes you can study for GAMSAT more than UMAT but there is so much information you won't be able to cover it all.

hscmathematics

HSC
Hard to say but a lot is about your own strengths.

UMAT is a less demanding experience overall, but performing well is quite difficult and can come down to both luck and chance. I performed very well last year with minimal preparation, while my friend who prepared extensively for it didn't do very well.

GAMSAT is a much more stressful experience but the work you put in appears to equate to better marks. I performed quite poorly but did not study effectively or conscientiously for it. All of my friends who did study effectively and thoroughly ended up with stellar marks. Its mainly the science section bringing these people up but that is one section that you can definitely very well for.

In terms of preparation, the UMAT seems a lot more difficult to improve marks in by preparation compared to the GAMSAT. Generally, if you put the effort in with (effectively) studying for the GAMSAT, you should receive adequate marks. The UMAT can be touch and go where some people naturally have an aptitude for it, some people manage to improve their marks through prep and more experience with the exam while others struggle to improve at all.

bangladesh

HSC
From my understanding of it:
Gamsat is a harder exam but is easier to score well in where as umat is an easier exam but with a much more competitive cohort.

Anousha

HSC
Hard to say but a lot is about your own strengths.

UMAT is a less demanding experience overall, but performing well is quite difficult and can come down to both luck and chance. I performed very well last year with minimal preparation, while my friend who prepared extensively for it didn't do very well.

GAMSAT is a much more stressful experience but the work you put in appears to equate to better marks. I performed quite poorly but did not study effectively or conscientiously for it. All of my friends who did study effectively and thoroughly ended up with stellar marks. Its mainly the science section bringing these people up but that is one section that you can definitely very well for.

In terms of preparation, the UMAT seems a lot more difficult to improve marks in by preparation compared to the GAMSAT. Generally, if you put the effort in with (effectively) studying for the GAMSAT, you should receive adequate marks. The UMAT can be touch and go where some people naturally have an aptitude for it, some people manage to improve their marks through prep and more experience with the exam while others struggle to improve at all.
YESSSSS I definitely agree with you !

leesh95

HSC
I've done both and I honestly can't say which one I prefer for sure.

For whatever reasons I could never crack the UMAT. After a lot of prep I only managed to increase my score by a little bit. And I did study for it, often at the expense of valuable study time for my uni subjects.

GAMSAT was less abstract and I can see myself doing well after enough prep. The hardest thing about the GAMSAT was having the stamina to sit through 6 hours of testing and diligently working your way through the exam. IIRC towards the end half of the room was just burnt out and over it.

So based on personal experience I think with UMAT you either have "it" or you don't. With GAMSAT you can learn the concepts and skills tested and improve your grades. Even if its just the science section.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)