Foreing prospective stu interested in ANU and Canberra (1 Viewer)

Elitewolf

HSC
N/A
Greetings everyone!

I'm from Chile and I'm seriously considering the chance to pursue a PhD at the Australian National University. But there are some things I would like to find out before.

I've been looking for some info at the web and there are some people who says Canberra is "boring and dull" with "cold people" and "rancid students". What do yo think? I mean, I'm not the guy who goes parties every night; once a week or two weeks is OK to me.

What about the chicks? Australia is well known for its kind people and beautiful chicks. ¿Isn't Canberra an exception? Here in my Faculty the girls and few and awful :´(

How do you think is social life on the whole? too much geeks? too much drunken guys? I'm loking for a healthy and balanced life, and some adventures too.

That's it. I'd be really glad if you can clean my inquetudes.

Best wishes.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Canberra is what you make of it. If you don't get out and meet people, I'm sure you'll find it dull, but it's a great place, and I'm enjoying my PhD here. I imagine what you think of the people will be determined by those you end up working with, and those you meet around the place, but there are all sorts about.

If you like the outdoors, there are many many beautiful places around Canberra to go hiking/fishing/camping, and a lot of people ride a lot. There're also a lot of people who love Canberra and don't do many outdoorsy things.

I assume you've looked into it, but making your decision should be more about what you're doing your PhD in...

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
^ +1. Canberra is indeed what you make of it.

A lot of the bad reputation that Canberra has is just an Australian thing - it's a small city and it happens to be the home of the federal government, so it's a perfect target. Yes, we don't have a beach and a third of the population is in the public service, but Canberra's still a great place to live, IMHO.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
^ +2. Canberra is indeed what you make of it.

Yeah, you can't go clubbing sunday-wednesday, but would you want to? Canberra is fine, there are plenty of events on (usually advertised on the riot act here). Plus all of ANU's events + college if you live there.

From what i've seen people who say its boring have only been here once on a school excursion to visit parliment. Its alot more interesting once you're at legal drinking age and have your own independence

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'd prefer it to Sydney or possibly Melbourne but I really don't like the weather.

Don't really like the student community too - the maths club is alright though.

writer'sblock

HSC
ANU and Canberra are great.
Once you get use to the cold and as you're from Chile you've had far worse, it'd be fine.
ANU is one of the best unis in the world with maths. It's still one of the 10 most citied unis for maths and it has been for the past 25 years, so it's a great place to do your PhD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)