Foreinger prospective stu interested in ANU and Canberra (1 Viewer)

Elitewolf

HSC
N/A
Greetings everyone!

I'm from Chile and I'm seriously considering the chance to pursue a PhD at the Australian National University. But there are some things I would like to find out before.

I've been looking for some info at the web and there are some people who says Canberra is "boring and dull" with "cold people" and "rancid students". What do yo think? Why they hate Canberra so much? I mean, I'm not the guy who goes parties every night; once a week or two weeks is OK to me.

What about the chicks? Australia is well known for its kind people and beautiful chicks. ¿Isn't Canberra an exception? Here in my Faculty the girls and few and awful :´(

How do you think is social life on the whole? too much geeks? too much drunken guys? I'm loking for a healthy and balanced life, and some adventures too.

That's it. I'd be really glad if you can clean my inquetudes.

Best wishes.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Greetings everyone!

I'm from Chile and I'm seriously considering the chance to pursue a PhD at the Australian National University. But there are some things I would like to find out before.

I've been looking for some info at the web and there are some people who says Canberra is "boring and dull" with "cold people" and "rancid students". What do yo think? Why they hate Canberra so much? I mean, I'm not the guy who goes parties every night; once a week or two weeks is OK to me.

What about the chicks? Australia is well known for its kind people and beautiful chicks. ¿Isn't Canberra an exception? Here in my Faculty the girls and few and awful :´(

How do you think is social life on the whole? too much geeks? too much drunken guys? I'm loking for a healthy and balanced life, and some adventures too.

That's it. I'd be really glad if you can clean my inquetudes.

Best wishes.
Students in Canberra seem to be annoyingly intrested in politics and whinging about anything.

The people are significantley less friendly than Western Australia though better than Sydney and Melbourne.

Cost of living is higher than everywhere else (rent is ridiculous.)

There is a large number of foreign students who keep to themselves which is annoying.

The thing about parties in Canberra is most are held at homes instead of out - I have never been clubbing so I don't know though. Public transport is extremely bad especially compared to what you would expect coming from Europe.

There isn't super much to do I'll say that - there are quite a few people who fly out for the weekend to Sydney/Melbourne or drive to the beach (2 hours I think.) It is far colder than Western Australia and its not even Winter yet - again I don't know what you'd expect.

I haven't been checking out chicks as much but you won't get the 'typical' Australian girls in Canberra - try Brisbane or Perth for that more. Depends on your faculty - I do mathematics so we have 50 boys to 5 girls. There are A LOT of foreign students from Asia studying here which I find quite annoying as they really dampen the social atmosphere. I really don't notice any sterotypical people apart from the foreign students.

If the course wasn't so good I'd be in Melbourne or staying in Perth.

merillem

HSC
Public transport is extremely bad especially compared to what you would expect coming from Europe.
Lol, last time I checked Chile wasn't terribly near Europe :)

Other than that there is a fair bit of accuracy in these comments.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, last time I checked Chile wasn't terribly near Europe :)

Other than that there is a fair bit of accuracy in these comments.
Yeah, it's only probably like an 11 hour flight or more to the closest European country, leaving from the capital of Chile, Santiago de Chile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)