format XP (1 Viewer)

psycho_mushy

HSC
has anyone actually done it?

I plan on doing it very soon, my computer is infected with viruses/trojans and worms...

I got a Dell... so its that automated shit disc... but I wanna format it all first... I don't want shit in my windows directory for windows to "repair"

please help guys!

Winston

HSC
If you got a OEM disk, the cd will just roll back to Manufacturer's default from my experience with IBM OEM Desktop PC, otherwise in terms of formating, it will depend...

1) Are your drives partitioned?

2) Do you need to back up any data?

3) What type of file system it is, now this is fairly crucial as NTFS doesnt support the DOS Command line for formating, to check youre file system go to My Computer> Local Disk (C) Drive, right click on it and go to properties, under File System:, it should either say FAT 32 or NTFS

4) Now what's the CD that Dell gave u?:S... is it a automated re install where it restores to default installation by itself, or is it just standard Windows Installation Disk?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
get a boot-disk first, borrow someone's WinXP disk to reformat HD.

the WinXP disk is bootable.

i don't recomend using floppy since the win9x floppy can only format to FAT32 when you want NTFS

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
get a boot-disk first, borrow someone's WinXP disk to reformat HD.

the WinXP disk is bootable.

i don't recomend using floppy since the win9x floppy can only format to FAT32 when you want NTFS
Errr not everyone prefers NTFS, although recommended but not compulsory. Why do u need to borrow someones disk to reformat? He can use his own.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
if his disk is totally automatic then you can't really use it.

NTFS has the BIG advantage of when you cold restart it doesn't have to scandisk

it also doesn't need to be defraged as much as FAT32

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
if his disk is totally automatic then you can't really use it.

NTFS has the BIG advantage of when you cold restart it doesn't have to scandisk

it also doesn't need to be defraged as much as FAT32

True

Wrong, Scan Disk only starts when a unexpected or improper shutdown occurs, same for both file systems, you can turn it off if you want by turning off task scheduler service anyways

True

psycho_mushy

HSC
here's the low down......

I got NTFS... I bought it this year! of course it will come pre-formatted with NTFS... anyway

yeah I have the OEM disc... but unlike the IBM disc that has the OEM windows on it... it actually has the "WindowsXP disc" with the other OEM disc having the apps and stuff....

Formatting would be my best option, and yes since NTFS doesn't use DOS or WINXP, I don't have a clue to format the darn drive...

I'm soooo stuck!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by psycho_mushy
here's the low down......

I got NTFS... I bought it this year! of course it will come pre-formatted with NTFS... anyway

yeah I have the OEM disc... but unlike the IBM disc that has the OEM windows on it... it actually has the "WindowsXP disc" with the other OEM disc having the apps and stuff....

Formatting would be my best option, and yes since NTFS doesn't use DOS or WINXP, I don't have a clue to format the darn drive...

I'm soooo stuck!
It makes life easier

Stick the disk in it will say Press Any Key to boot from CD, then once everything is loading into Setup, follow the steps, when you say u wanna install it into your primary partition i.e. C: it will ask are you sure there's already one installed, then you just continue, it will then say what would you like to do?

Leave the current settings or something

or FORMAT THE PARTITION WITH NTFS (QUICK)

use that option

it will do it all well then follow the rest

if your CD doesnt boot come back and post and i can find another way.

psycho_mushy

HSC
thanks Winston...... I'll give this thread a buzz when I do it.... I'm sure it'll be very soon! considering I got heaps of shit and viruses on here and argh!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
ohhh, and make sure you download the latest drivers for all your bits before you format!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
ohhh, and make sure you download the latest drivers for all your bits before you format!
It was an OEM, all the hardware would of been compatible with XP already, and drivers included from the manufacturer.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
It was an OEM, all the hardware would of been compatible with XP already, and drivers included from the manufacturer.
meh! dun tell me ur satisfied with OEM driver performance!

Winston

HSC

meh! dun tell me ur satisfied with OEM driver performance!
hmmm... wat could he possibly have an increase of performance of in OEM hardware?...

Unless he's experiencing problems with his old drivers.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
oh fuck, mis-read it. it's a dell, not a clone... =\

Winston

HSC
oh fuck, mis-read it. it's a dell, not a clone... =\
LMAO!...

"Dude you're getting a DELL!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)