• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Formation of Polyethylene (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hi,

Can anyone please give me the reactions for the production of LDPE and HDPE?

Thanks,

Jason

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
LDPE: Under high pressure (1000 to 3000 times atmospheric) and high temperature ie. 300oC

1. Initiation:
An organic peroxide is added to a pool of chloroethene monomers. These organic peroxides have the general formula CH3(CH2)n- O - O - (CH2)nCH3
These O - O bond breaks, and form what I call half peroxides (I'm not sure if it's a real term), and become 'initiators' for the reaction.

E.g. CH3 - O - O - CH3 --> 2CH3O.

A chloroethene molecule (monomer) attaches itself to the half peroxide.

CH3O. + CH2=CH2 --> CH3-O-CH2CH2.

2. Propagation:
More monomers join to the previous, forming a polymer chain consisting of repeating units of -(CH2-CH2)-
CH3-O-CH2CH2. + n (CH2=CH2) --> CH3-O-CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2.

Note: After showing around 3 repeating units, you can stop. I'll show you the formula to write for polymerisation after the last step.

3. Termination:
Either another polymer half chain attaches to another half to form 1 full polymer chain, or an alkyl group (if I remember correctly) is added to terminate the propagation process.

So basically:

n(CH2=CH2) --> —(CH2CH2)n
n is typically 2000-3000.

Note that you don't have to include the half peroxide at each end of the polymer in this equation, as it contributes so little to the molecular properties, that it is insignificant.

This process produces highly branching polymer chains, which means that it's less likely to pack together, decreasing density, hence the name "Low density PE".

HDPE:
This process is called the Ziegler-Natta process. It uses few times atmospheric pressrue, ad about 60oC, and uses a catalyst, which is a mixture of titanium (III) chloride and a trialkylaluminium compound, e.g. triethylaluminium.

No initiators are used in this production method, and this process forms unbranched PE molecules, which allows them to pack closely, increasing the density and hence the name "High density PE"

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
minijumbuk said:
LDPE: Under high pressure (1000 to 3000 times atmospheric) and high temperature ie. 300oC

1. Initiation:
An organic peroxide is added to a pool of chloroethene monomers. These organic peroxides have the general formula CH3(CH2)n- O - O - (CH2)nCH3
These O - O bond breaks, and form what I call half peroxides (I'm not sure if it's a real term), and become 'initiators' for the reaction.

E.g. CH3 - O - O - CH3 --> 2CH3O.

A chloroethene molecule (monomer) attaches itself to the half peroxide.

CH3O. + CH2=CH2 --> CH3-O-CH2CH2.

2. Propagation:
More monomers join to the previous, forming a polymer chain consisting of repeating units of -(CH2-CH2)-
CH3-O-CH2CH2. + n (CH2=CH2) --> CH3-O-CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2.

Note: After showing around 3 repeating units, you can stop. I'll show you the formula to write for polymerisation after the last step.

3. Termination:
Either another polymer half chain attaches to another half to form 1 full polymer chain, or an alkyl group (if I remember correctly) is added to terminate the propagation process.

So basically:

n(CH2=CH2) --> —(CH2CH2)n
n is typically 2000-3000.

Note that you don't have to include the half peroxide at each end of the polymer in this equation, as it contributes so little to the molecular properties, that it is insignificant.

This process produces highly branching polymer chains, which means that it's less likely to pack together, decreasing density, hence the name "Low density PE".

HDPE:
This process is called the Ziegler-Natta process. It uses few times atmospheric pressrue, ad about 60oC, and uses a catalyst, which is a mixture of titanium (III) chloride and a trialkylaluminium compound, e.g. triethylaluminium.

No initiators are used in this production method, and this process forms unbranched PE molecules, which allows them to pack closely, increasing the density and hence the name "High density PE"
spot on ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)