fort st maths exams! (1 Viewer)

canunot

HSC
N/A
I'm currently in year 10, and plan on applying for Fort St high school. This year, we have to sit in an english and maths exam. I think i'm fairly confident for the english part - but not the maths.
I attend a partially selective school, and i'm in the selective part. The results i've received from maths test, have been EXTREMELY average. It's usually a b, or just a b.
To get to the point, here are just a few question:

1. generally, what kind of topics should i be expecting? I know it should be everything that's been covered in my school/5.3 maths. But my school has been really behind compared to others, the reasons i do not know. So, i'd be grateful to know what topics i should be particularly studying so i don't study too ahead or behind.

2. Roughly, how many questions are there?

3. Are the fort st entrance exams different every following year?

These questions, are kind of straightforward and i know not everyone can answer it. But anyone's input would seriously be fantastic and beneficial to me and others also applying :) SO THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! x :kiss:

p.s I suck at maths :angryfire:

itzKev

HSC
I'm exactly like you except the complete opposite and I don't go to a partial or full selective school.
I suck at English.

Question 1) Anyways for maths, I think some of the topics would be:
Volume/Surface Area/Area (maybe)
Angle and Circle Geometry
Surds
Indices/Algebra/Equations
Similarity (Comparing similar solids and shapes and their volumes/area)
Logs (Maybe)
Exponential/Hyperbolas/Circles
Trigonometry (SOHCAHTOA and Sine Rule, Cosine Rule, Bearings and Area)
Linear (sketching linear equations and solving)
Quadratics (sketching, solving and MAYBE sum and products or roots)

All these topics is a MAYBE and I'm not too sure. But those are Year 9-10 topics that are usually assessed.

Question 2) I don't know sorry

Question 3) They should be different every year or people would able to copy from older sibling's experience but the topics covered in the past exams should be the same or added on to, it's just that the style of questions are changed.

Anyways, I need help for the English section of the Fort ST test, do you know what we would be doing for the Fort Street test? Like are we just writing a response or are there extra parts such as 'Reading' or Grammar like NAPLAN?

canunot

HSC
N/A
It'll be a comprehension, and maybe a 'short' response ( by 'short' i mean you could probably write heaps ). There might be a picture analysis as well :)

anguyenh

HSC
I think for the Year 10s trying out in 2012, they just gave them our half-yearlies Maths Exam. That was funny. And a few of the kids who got in aced that exam (wasn't extremely difficult). So if you have some mates, you should look at some of the past Year 10 FS Maths exams, that should be a good indicator.

Jolteon

HSC
Hey I actually need some help with something like this as well but,
is anyone offering to send some past FS Maths yearlies papers? I'm stressing out bc of this exam and any help will be amazing. Also, is there a chance circle geometry will be tested?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Maths:
Maths is mostly 5.3 questions. In order to do well in them, do past school certificate papers and attempt the harder questions
Some are multiple choice some aren't. I will list the topics assessed below

1. Algebra
2. Indices and Surds
3. Measurement, Surface area and volume
4. Consumer arithmetic (year 10+9)
5. Equations
6. Co ordinate geometry graphs
7. Graphs (time graphs, physics graphs-moving about)
8. Statitics (everything in general)
9. Simultaneous equations (not in test but I reccommend you study it anyway)
10. Geometry
11. Triginometry (both right angle and non right angle)
12. Quadratic equations
13. Probability (recommended)
14. Similarity (recommended)
15. Congruency
16. Non right angle trig (recommended)
17. Circle geometry (recommended)
18. ICAS+AMC style questions

Circle geo+Logs+Polynomials+functions are all recommended to study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)