Fort St... (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey, .Who here goes to Fort St? I'm in yr 10 atm and I got offered to Fort St two days ago. Does anyone know what the school is like in terms of the teachers and students. Are the English and Maths teachers any good? What are the students like? Any gangstas ? or are they full-on nerdy and stuff. I need to make the right decision o_O . Thankyou *VERY* much =D !!! :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Hey, .Who here goes to Fort St? I'm in yr 10 atm and I got offered to Fort St two days ago. Does anyone know what the school is like in terms of the teachers and students. Are the English and Maths teachers any good? What are the students like? Any gangstas ? or are they full-on nerdy and stuff. I need to make the right decision o_O . Thankyou *VERY* much =D !!! :)
I dont go there but everyone has been most of their science teachers are crap. Students around half asian. Some gangstas, popular groups etc like any school except for ruse.

Go for it you can always go back to your old school. It can be hard settling in, i changed to go to selective last year. You need to study once you get their otherwise you ranks and marks will fall significantly, im serious no joke.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Wooz said:
I dont go there but everyone has been most of their science teachers are crap. Students around half asian. Some gangstas, popular groups etc like any school except for ruse.

Go for it you can always go back to your old school. It can be hard settling in, i changed to go to selective last year. You need to study once you get their otherwise you ranks and marks will fall significantly, im serious no joke.
Hey, can anyone go back to their old school if its selective? or do you have to apply for it again?

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Students around half asian. Some gangstas, popular groups etc like any school except for ruse.
Not mine apparently, lol.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I said Fort St and not average schools is around half asian from what i've heard.
no offence to asians, im asian.

Fort St is a decent selective school and beat mine last year. Do a search on 'Fort Street' in BOS, many students say that their science teachers are crap.

Deltan: one girl at my selective school went to fort street for two weeks and came back to my selective school. It depends on the school you came from though, they might fill your spot or have rules.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Wooz said:
I said Fort St and not average schools is around half asian from what i've heard.
no offence to asians, im asian.

Fort St is a decent selective school and beat mine last year. Do a search on 'Fort Street' in BOS, many students say that their science teachers are crap.

Deltan: one girl at my selective school went to fort street for two weeks and came back to my selective school. It depends on the school you came from though, they might fill your spot or have rules.
hmm..was that girl from Sefton o_O?

dukey

HSC
I know the head teacher of the science faculty at Fort st. He was err..funny lol

Hmm..I've also got a couple of friends who go there. They seem to like it.

PC

HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Students around half asian.
Isn't the whole world half asian? Par for the course really, isn't it?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
PC said:
Isn't the whole world half asian? Par for the course really, isn't it?
Meh, just telling the person that fort st is around half asian if he/she has a thing against asians, anyway im asian.

blackall46

HSC
I think you'll find that many, if not most schools in Sydney have a good proportion of Asian students. Being partly Asian, and having mostly anglo friends and living on the Northern Beaches, I'm cool with it.

I just will say I wished there was a bit more inter-race 'mingling'. It seems the Asians mostly keep to a group, but everyone is one...

VuongstER_boi

HSC
subjectiv said:
heaps of people from my grade went to fort street last year. they said maths is better at my school, but english is much better at fort. it's understandable, since our english faculty mainly comprises of old ppl with a head teacher who sounds like a mouse. can't really comment on science, but i heard physics was crap. but then again, there are crap teachers in every school.. maybe with the exception of ruse. do you go to a selective school now? if not, why don't you just go to fort street? once you adjust, the added pressure/competition will be good for you.. in the long term. well, at least i think so anyway.. unless you're suicidal. lol, tasteless. but yeah, i recommend you try it out.
heheh.. I go to Sefton:) ( your school)and I decided to try out for Fort St to get into Advanced English since I didn't quite get in at Sefton :(. If I improve in my marks for the rest of the year then they might "consider it". But if I don't get in, then I'll have to leave to Fort St. hmm.. I heard something about being able to appeal to the Board of Studies if a school stops their students from picking a subject.. but i'm not sure bout that..

coolkoombaya

HSC
havent been here in ages, but the BoS forum banner, keeps reminding me that i havent participated in any discussions for several weeks, so i should assisst a student or need, so lucky you.

ha i cant quick reply (using opera), and i cbb quoting in this thread, but yeah.
same sefton dude (mite remember me as the fort street hating guy so this post already seems biased) but ill be neutral in this post.

they say that the teachers are better at sefton/fort street for certain subjects, but regardless of what kind of teachers you have, if you really wanted to achieve your super 99.95 UAI, wouldnt u already go to, or plan to go to tutor for most, if not all of your subjects? but yes, teachers are important. whole classes who did poorly in exams, blame their teacher. seems funny in my eyes, cos they were all 'we're better than u, cos we do advanced' (no they didnt, but lets pretend they did haha)

you want to move to fort street, so you can get into advanced english? I've had a freind who did that, just to get into extension english. however when they got offered a position at fort street, they also got offered a position in extenstion english at fort street. in the end they chose fort street anyway, and plan to drop english extension anyway. but yeah, i did below average in year 10 for english half-yearly, then got pretty good in the yearly, i fink i topped the class, or near the top? i still wasnt able to get in into advanced english. so im in standard now.

when you look at the core differences between advanced and standard english, there are only 2 dot points or something, cant exactly rememember which ones, but there are 2 extra syllabus outcomes in advanced english and you study harder texts in advanced english.
when you look at the UAI scalings (i fink dats what they are?), you can see more people getting band 5s and 6's in advanced english than in standard english. about 6 or so people got band 6's last year in standard english.

BAND COMPARISONS for 2005 HSC results
in english standard: Sefton State
bands 5 and 6 13% 2%
bands 3 and 4 77% 77%
bands 1 and 2 10% 21%

in english advanced: Sefton State
bands 5 and 6 88% 46%
bands 3 and 4 12% 53%
bands 1 and 2 10% 21%

as you can see, in both school at state, advanced appears to fair way better than standard. yes, the advanced people are probably smarter, but still, why the great gap?
great. and in the end, its only 2 extra outcomes in advanced english?
thats fucking injustice.

also there is no such thing as an EASY english course, both standard and advanced english are tough courses. plus if they dont let you in, because they think you might be better in standard and advanced, they might be right as easily as they can be wrong. I can see why they do it in sefton high, you can see from the results, that there

are very few, if any, people who do badly in advanced english and other extension courses, which entry can be deteremined by how well you do in your results. oh and if u take those drastic measures, then wow, u really do want to get into advanced. it mite pay off, or mite backfire, if u do poorly. and otehrs fink ur desperate. BUT please dun do stuff, just cos other ppl tell u to, or dont do stuff, cos u care too much about wat ppl fink about u. AHHHHHH! dat pisses me off.

varitey of people is good. sefton tends to be very asians, how many blackhair headed ppl do u see? the other non-black are probs azns who dyed theirs ahha.
i fink tis all to cover atm.

its slack, but those advanced english people i beat in half yearlies(yes i beat many WOOT), SUCK SHIT. GO STANDARD ENGLISH!

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
We have heaps of Pacific Islanders in the school. Apparently, they're cooler than Asians. lol, off-topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)