Fountain pen for english/history exams? (1 Viewer)

talisman

HSC
This is a really random subject I'm bringing up but I was wondering if anyone has experience with fountain pens?

I've heard that it applies less strain on your hand when writing. At the same time, it's not great for maths or sciences because scanners don't pick up the dot points which is a big issue.

I normally use a ballpoint pen, but my hands starts to hurt if I'm writing really fast.

They might be more expensive, but if it makes my handwriting more attractive and easier and quicker to write with, then maybe I should get one.

What do you guys think?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Try a gel ink pen if that helps since you won't need to put pressure on it to make it work. Spending big isn't going to necessarily lead to proportionate benefits- the only thing really good about the much more expensive pens than say the $3 a pen range is that they are probably much heavier and have a nice balanced weight which will help build wrist strength... but that's about it. I personally would rather find a specific type of pen which writes well and isn't too expensive, and just buy a few packs from Officeworks to bring them into the exam.

ps. Fountain pens can get very messy and given how thin & crap the paper is in the official HSC exam booklets, I wouldn't recommend it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Use what you're used to. A few extra words will probably not have enough return in the long run and will probably do best with what you've used all your life.

Also, unless you know your content very well, I find that my mind is slower than my max writing speed anyway.

tomgartin

HSC
There are four considerations in using a fountain pen:
1. Weight/Balance
2. Nib/Line Size
3. Ink Flow and Nib Feel
4. Ink Drying Time

WEIGHT/BALANCE:
One of the marks of a quality pen is that it is both lightweight and balanced toward the nib end. In this way you don't have to keep a tight grip on a heavy pen, and the balance lets the weight of the pen do the writing. You don't need to press a fountain pen into the page like you do with a ballpoint. Someone else mentioned a gel pen, but this is better known in the pen world as "rollerball" because it employs a slightly improved version of the ballpoint design. That said, a rollerball (such as the G2) may be a good option for you, but you are still holding it to the page in a different way than a fountain pen in order to "get the ball rolling" (no pun intended).

NIB/LINE:
There are as many kinds of nibs and line widths as you can imagine in the world of fountain pens. Since you'll be writing a long exam, it's important to have a nib that is neat and tidy, and will be able to help you fit more words per line. If you go with an American or European fountain pen, you'll want to choose an extra-fine nib or perhaps a fine. There are many varieties of steel, platinum plated, gold, and gold plated nibs but most modern nibs offer a more rigid feel (as opposed to the flexible or springy nibs of the early 20th century) so you can't go wrong with any material as long as it's a good line width and feels right on the page.

NIB FEEL:
A nib can feel scratchy on the page if it's of inferior quality, so if you have a chance to try before you buy that's the best thing to do. If not, then stick to known brands. Since we're talking about thin lines for writing a long exam, and presumably a conservative budget, my recommendation is to look at Lamy. I currently use a Lamy Safari EF and it writes very smoothly. It's not the best balance, but if I write without the cap (i.e. unposted) it's okay. The line is a bit thicker than, say, Pilot or Sailor nibs (Japanese brands) but within my specs for school notes and tests. The Safari will set you back about $30-40 USD.

INK:
I recommend getting a converter with your pen so you can use bottled ink. Why? Because you need to use better ink than is made available in those nasty disposable cartridges. If you get the Lamy Safari, the converter is only $5. A bottle of ink is only about $8-15 and should last you a long time. I use Diamine's Midnight Blue, but it has a medium drying time (maybe 9-12 seconds) comparable to a Pilot G2. For how much you have to write, you may want to reduce smudging by using Parker Quink (drying in about 6-9 seconds). Quink also happens to be one of the more economical inks on the market.

I would strongly encourage you to do your hand a favor and switch to a fountain pen as you prepare for this exam, and start training yourself not to press the pen but actually just write with it. Also, stop by the forum fountainpennetwork.com for more info about fountain pens. They've got a lot of great information posted if you need help.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Use what you're used to. A few extra words will probably not have enough return in the long run and will probably do best with what you've used all your life.

Also, unless you know your content very well, I find that my mind is slower than my max writing speed anyway.
definitely this
if you've written with a certain type of pen all year then don't bother trying to adapt.
as the above said, you'll probably only get a net total of an extra sentence or two.

also, try to avoid ink that takes a while to try. the writing books are large-spaced between lines and i can imagine things becoming very smudged and messy

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Also watch the what it looks like when writing on both sides of the pages as these days that is what you have to do. You don't want an ink that bleeds through the page or is so dark that if makes the writing on the other side hard to read.

Annihilist

HSC
What is a fountain pen?

Anything that stops my hand cramping like a motherbitch when I write legibly.

talisman

HSC
fountain pens aren't as wet as people think they are. those are the old-style fountain pens. modern day fountain pens dry very quickly. the only difference is that, well they make you write differently because you apply very little pressure.

i got a disposable fountain pen and it's been pretty good so far. you just have to practise heaps with it because you actually have to have stylised handwriting for it to be effective.

could actually help me improve my handwriting in a way?

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
What is a fountain pen?

Anything that stops my hand cramping like a motherbitch when I write legibly.
generally a thicker pen (read: not kilometrico) is more comfortable for a long period of time.
you could always invest in a cheap grip though

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I think fountain pens are good for helping with getting the right technique, well my pen does, because it makes you write with a certain grip.

Depends on the ink you use as well.

SunnyScience

HSC
Buy yourself a papermate Kilometrico Gel 0.7 pen blue/black - these are my exam pens/when i want comfort. They are smooth, fast to write with, not much pressure needed and make your writing look awesome + fairly inexpensive (a couple of dollars for a pack).

Officeworks or Big W have them i believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)