Frankenstein vs Blade Runner (1 Viewer)

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Why would Blade Runner be considered more valuable as a text than Frankenstein?

i love to act

HSC
Why would Blade Runner be considered more valuable as a text than Frankenstein?
Like Frankenstein, Blade Runner is valued for the fact that it deals with the consequences of humans pretending to be God, integrated with other concerns about the future of humankind. However, it also carries with it that 'sci-fi' attraction of taking its audience into a disturbing world of the broadly credible and not-too-distant future.

AmieLea

HSC
your question depends on what the audience is. if you are talking about the value contempory audiences put on it, obviously it is more accessable and easier to understand. more people would prefer to watch the movie of Blade Runner (and walk away thinking of the confusing twist at the end) than have to sit down for MUCH longer than it would take to watch the Blade Runner film, and have to go thru the, maybe, confusing concepts that aren't clearly defined as BR's are. you have to remember that, when writing essays such as these, the contempory audience DOES NOT have to plough thru the many pages of waltons letters to get to the good stuff. they can easily put it down, then go spend about 2 or so hours watching the film.

it's more believable, as the person above me said (sorry, i should really have written down ur name) as humans have progressed to the stage that, with scientific advancements, we could create life. in fact, we are (though thru different means). we can make infertile women pregnant with IVF, create clones and other stuff i can't think off the top of my head. so the modern audience can relate to it more.

good luck! hope i've helped a bit :)

AmieLea

HSC
oh, i've forgotten to mention, BR also combines the elements of the 'hard boiled' crime fiction genre with sci-fi. this is also more appealing as it has more variety and JUSTICE PREVAILS (convention of HB CF)! then leaves the audience morallly confused as we think "shit, did he just kill his own kind... when all the wanted to do was be 'human' (chuck in a quote about them being "more human than human") " ???

and Frank only has Sci-fi and no justice prevails- the monster offs himself and the ending is so ambigious that the audience is left feeling little let down

belleswa9

HSC
I NEED HELP!!
QUESTION FOR HALF - YEARLY

compare how these texts (frankenstein & Blade Runner) explore emotion and reason.

should i refer to like 2 values and talk about hoe the emotion and reason fits in
or just talk about emotion and reason!! so confused.

any help would be appreciated.

Bella.

lychnobity

HSC
I NEED HELP!!

compare how these texts (frankenstein & Blade Runner) explore emotion and reason.

should i refer to like 2 values and talk about hoe the emotion and reason fits in

Bella.
fml.

Read the question again.

Refer to as many values as you want, but the MAIN POINT you're meant to address, is HOW emotion and reason are shown. ie how are they similar/different?

The question has given you the themes to talk about. Now go forth and write.

meggo-meggo

HSC
and Frank only has Sci-fi and no justice prevails- the monster offs himself and the ending is so ambigious that the audience is left feeling little let down
however, you shouldn't make a judgment that this element of Frankenstein lowers its value for any audience - its this residual tone of despair that is one of the most powerful parts of Frankenstein, hence raising its value for any audience. The ending is ambiguous? Debatable. Indeed, the ending is quite final. Frankenstein dies, monster flees, never to be seen again. The ending of Blade is much more fragile.. although this doesn't demean its 'value'.
Damn I hate these value questions. :p

meggo-meggo

HSC
I NEED HELP!!

Bella.
probably rather than just talking about examples of certain emotion and reason, talk about the interplay between the two and how valuing just one or the other can be incredibly harmful. The intertextuality within Frankenstein (the writings of the old alchemists and natural scientists) reveals the constant discussion regarding emotion and reason and what place they have in human interaction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)