Frankenstein ! (1 Viewer)

alyssaajadee

HSC
Hi :)
Is anyone finding it really hard to get through Frankenstein? I'm not sure if it's boring or a more advanced novel than others I have read?

Kat92

HSC
Hi :)
Is anyone finding it really hard to get through Frankenstein? I'm not sure if it's boring or a more advanced novel than others I have read?
The letters from Walter to begin with are a little mundane. However, once you get into it, I am sure you will enjoy in the end! :)

HSC
Walton is actually a very important character as you will realise when you get to the end.

Keep persisting with Frankenstein - it's good that you've started reading it before school has started!! This is good!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I always found it best to read English novels once through just reading it-not attempting to think of it in the school context yet. It helped to get a more holistic appreciation of it (though some texts like Romulus just sucked no matter how you tried to cut it :p).

Good thing about your module A-it's the most common one, the resources sector has stacks on it-I think some new Franken/Blade Runner stuff went up on only early this month and more resources should be added up in not too long.

Mdzabakly

HSC
WOW i had the totally opposite reaction !.
i was reading it and thinking " Wow i cant belive i can actually read this book without dying "

alyssaajadee

HSC
Okay I will definitely keep this in mind. I did Romulus for my AOS and to be honest, despite being a total ass for language techniques except for imagery and symbolism, I enjoyed it a lot more, possibly because of the connections I found within my related text which was Looking For Alibrandi and also maybe because I've never really been fussed on science fiction novels. I've had a look at the resources for Frank/BladeRnnr and they seem pretty helpful despite how I haven't really looked at pass papers and how this module was assessed in the papers. Any who, I'm just trying to persevere through it and hopefully, fingers crossed, i have it read by the time the holidays are over. Thanks for your help and support !

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
Apart from the fourth letter Frankenstein is boring until half-way through Volume I, then the whole of Volume II is boring but the 2nd half of Volume I and the whole of Volume III is anything but and once you get there you will enjoy reading it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay I will definitely keep this in mind. I did Romulus for my AOS and to be honest, despite being a total ass for language techniques except for imagery and symbolism, I enjoyed it a lot more, possibly because of the connections I found within my related text which was Looking For Alibrandi and also maybe because I've never really been fussed on science fiction novels. I've had a look at the resources for Frank/BladeRnnr and they seem pretty helpful despite how I haven't really looked at pass papers and how this module was assessed in the papers. Any who, I'm just trying to persevere through it and hopefully, fingers crossed, i have it read by the time the holidays are over. Thanks for your help and support !
I love reading, and I hate Romulus as a book, well I would have being more neutral towards it if it wasn't limited in the technique sense.

HSC
N/A
I attempted reading this book 3 times. I think after you get through the letters, you'll be right.

tonynho

HSC
I wasn't sure if we needed this for Year 11 or 12 but I'm guessing it is for this year? :confused2: I started reading it, and I just got confused and had no idea what was happening. I felt the descriptive content was empowering the actual events occurring in the novel.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I wasn't sure if we needed this for Year 11 or 12 but I'm guessing it is for this year? :confused2: I started reading it, and I just got confused and had no idea what was happening. I felt the descriptive content was empowering the actual events occurring in the novel.
It's needed for Year 12.

I'm a 2013er and I find Frankenstein pretty damn challenging to read. The language is quite.... well.... hard on me. (Mainly because I've neglected reading books all these years)

Still reading and dreading it.

kazemagic

HSC
yea reading this atm cos my teacher recommended me for wide reading, its gonna take me ages to finish it cos i have to read slowly just to understand the main bits D:

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
It's because it's a terrible novel. I mean, we get it, science is bad. :p

tonynho

HSC
Would anyone recommend watching the film for this? I thought about it because at least when I read the book things would clear up or I would get a better understanding of it.

TheGeetz1995

HSC
Would anyone recommend watching the film for this? I thought about it because at least when I read the book things would clear up or I would get a better understanding of it.
There have been many adaptations of Frankenstein made over the years. I dunno if watching the film will help you understand the novel. It might, but there are so many films out there.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Not really. Most of the misconceptions about Frankenstein come from the film. Read it first, then you can watch it later.

tonynho

HSC
Thanks, will definitely be reading Frankenstein for the rest of these holidays :read:

T-Hud

HSC
It is slow in parts and yes, very advanced compared to what many, including myself may have read.

russ3l

HSC
perhaps, read the plot on sparknotes first(chapter by chapter) -- so when you read, it wont look too 'omgwtf'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)