Freaking Rage!! (1 Viewer)

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Alright so the subject key lists are up for next years subject and Economics and Legal Studies are scrapped!!
there is at least 15 people (including myself) who chose Economics and probably at least 17 students who put Legal Studies down but did not get it.

So we decided to go and ask the Deputies, they basically said there is "not enough" teachers to put those subjects up and suggested we go and hassle the principal, so we did. He said he cannot just get teachers that teach specific subjects because Economic teacher is retiring and Legal Studies is leaving. Basically ending our hopes of doing those subjects :(

Sorry i didn't really know where to post this BUT..ARGGHH I want economics not food tech -.-'

ciaobella17

HSC
Have you thought about swapping schools? To one that can offer you the subjects that you would like to do, rather than those that may in fact impede your ATAR?

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
Situations like that are just bullcrap. The DET sucks more and more every day. Complain to every single person you can because its your HSC mark at risk. Its not about them, its about you. If that doesnt get you far, try and get a group of people who have been also refused their subjects to complain with you and maybe say that they will swap schools if the subs dont run. Mainly just try and get it out there. I feel your pain man.

Btw economics is the bomb.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Have you thought about swapping schools? To one that can offer you the subjects that you would like to do, rather than those that may in fact impede your ATAR?
No school would accept me because i wont be local to their area :(

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Situations like that are just bullcrap. The DET sucks more and more every day. Complain to every single person you can because its your HSC mark at risk. Its not about them, its about you. If that doesnt get you far, try and get a group of people who have been also refused their subjects to complain with you and maybe say that they will swap schools if the subs dont run. Mainly just try and get it out there. I feel your pain man.

Btw economics is the bomb.
:(:(:'(

talked to both deputies/principal and every head teacher of every Faculty that can help, they said they would bring it up in the next teacher meeting but it still will go on deaf ears :(

K

khorne

They dont have to provide every subject for you to do. If the teachers who teach the subjects are leaving/whatever, then obviously they can't run them. It's not fair, but it's how it works.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^You can totally get into non local schools. I mean they will knock you back if they are at full capacity but tbh, if you're a good student they'll most likely to be willing to fit you in. Do you really have no good second choice subjects for the eco and legal lines?

I mean schools can't run every subject, but when you can't do TWO subjects you want to really badly, I think that's high time to go to another one. If it was one subject not offered, I don't think you'd up and leave (unless it was you number 1 sub to do).

loaves

HSC
Some school districts aren't that strict about only accepting local students, particularly if you're a rather high achieving student. It's still worth contacting the schools (or even arranging an interview with a principal or deputy, because the secretaries will just brush you off) and explaining your situation. You might get lucky and a few students have left the school or something, freeing up spaces. No harm in being proactive. :)

alexwareham2

HSC
I am pretty sure that most school will accept up to 30% out of local area, and I am sure if you are smart they will take you as it will show that you can improve their school's rank. Ohh and what a joke. My Economics class this year had 5 students. I mean sure I had to fight to get a class and what not but I didn't have to see anyone but the HSIE Head person. School's look bad if they don't run sibjects like this, so I am surprised at their decision.

Another option is to do these courses by correspondence, and then to just get help from someone that is able to help at school. But as long as you have intelligence then I am sure just by using textbooks and Excel you would be fine.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I feel bad for OP, my school ran a prelim class of 5 people for a subject (language class). Like I find it crazy not to run it with so many wanting to do it.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Parents have already contacted 4 schools but all ended up saying something along the lines of "We do not accept students that our not in the area" and "We are currently full for next year" Even though my parents tried to convince them of my good Grades

My head teacher of welfare said that she will try and talk to principal but pretty certain that it will go to no prevail :(

Its just diabolical that they are not going to run Economics and Legal Studies, 2 of the main subjects

noriel

HSC
If you really want to do it that badly then try doing it through distance ed for those two subjects.

ZeeZee3

HSC
Yea you can apply for Distant education if those subjects cannot run next year. Music didnt run in my school because only 3 students chose it, so we applied for Sydney distance education high school. The work is mostly independent, but its much better than missing out on a subject I like.

thorax94

HSC
+1 for Distance education. I don't do it but I hear it's a lot more fun from the people who do. They are independent learners so they enjoy it plus they have heaps of free periods now. IDK how it works but an Open School (off the top of my head) sends them booklets.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, DE is a good option if you're motivated and an independent learner. I just thinks it's a shame you miss out on a class atmosphere, but definitely better than missing out completely!

addoil

HSC
I feel for your situation, can't believe they wont hire a substitute or a new teacher to replace the classes. I can't get my head around how your school is willing to cut a class with 15 people! At my school, there is a Geography class of 2 running.....

avro

HSC
If no local schools will take you, what about private/religious-affiliated schools in the area? I'm just assuming you've only applied to local public schools, but maybe give those schools a go. They also offer really good academic programs and opportunities too. Don't discount them.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Yea you can apply for Distant education if those subjects cannot run next year. Music didnt run in my school because only 3 students chose it, so we applied for Sydney distance education high school. The work is mostly independent, but its much better than missing out on a subject I like.

How does it work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)