FREE Online Chemistry Exams (1 Viewer)

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

This may be of value to anyone taking chemistry.

I have just launched a new online HSC resource at www.duxify.com.

It is free at the moment since it is a pilot project. We are trying to get as much feedback as possible.

At the moment it offers:

- Online HSC style chemistry exams with explained answers.
- At the end of each exam it ranks you vs other students who have sat the same exam.
- This can help you gauge where you are sitting vs other students in the state (not just your school).
- ATAR predictions based on your school and school ranks.

At the very least its a few more practice questions for you.

Goodluck!

macrazy

HSC
This site seems very promising! Definitely hope its up and running by my hsc year (2015) because it looks to be a very valuable and easily accessible resource :) great work!

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you!

The plan is to get a few more subjects up next year.

The idea is to help everyone understand exactly what this ATAR thing is and how you should be approaching the HSC.

I speak to a lot of students who (like me when I did the HSC) just study their subjects randomly and hope for the best.

The site is pretty much everything I wish I knew when I was doing the HSC. Theoretically, you can estimate your ATAR reasonably accurately before the big exams and take out some of the stress...

You don't need to pay thousands in tutoring to get your goal ATAR.

babberz

HSC
a back titration in a multiple choice so smooth

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Great website, the only thing I would add is that it's not too effective in estimating the ATAR of someone at 200s school. I'm ranked first in all subjects which I take at my actual school but the estimated ATAR I got was 90. Also, no where to add the rank of a distance education school. Other than that it's really helpful, can't wait for it to really get started. The explanation of the scaling/moderating system is the most comprehensive and comprehensible on the internet (and trust me, I've looked). Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Great website, the only thing I would add is that it's not too effective in estimating the ATAR of someone at 200s school. I'm ranked first in all subjects which I take at my actual school but the estimated ATAR I got was 90.
I'm at a 500 ranked school and I got a higher estimate lol

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Great website, the only thing I would add is that it's not too effective in estimating the ATAR of someone at 200s school. I'm ranked first in all subjects which I take at my actual school but the estimated ATAR I got was 90.
Yeah this is an issue... Your case is the hardest to estimate an ATAR for.

But to be honest this is exactly what the is designed for.

You could be a prodigy sitting at a 200+ school and not know it!

Hopefully over time and with more data you can gauge where you are relative to other people in the state (not just your school).

macrazy

HSC
Just some things that you might want to consider improving/changing (seeing as though you want feedback) that I've noticed after a bit more exploration:
-The ability to be able to clear results or retake tests would be great
-Maybe Sorting the tests into topics so that future years (would be to helpful for 2013 HSC) could work through the tests as they finish the topics at school and see how they are going along the way not just right at the end when there's not much time to do anything.
-Then maybe a longer test that covers everything
Still a great site though :)

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Just some things that you might want to consider improving/changing (seeing as though you want feedback) that I've noticed after a bit more exploration:
-The ability to be able to clear results or retake tests would be great
-Maybe Sorting the tests into topics so that future years (would be to helpful for 2013 HSC) could work through the tests as they finish the topics at school and see how they are going along the way not just right at the end when there's not much time to do anything.
-Then maybe a longer test that covers everything
Still a great site though :)
All great suggestions... cheers for the feedback.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yeah this is an issue... Your case is the hardest to estimate an ATAR for.

But to be honest this is exactly what the is designed for.

You could be a prodigy sitting at a 200+ school and not know it!

Hopefully over time and with more data you can gauge where you are relative to other people in the state (not just your school).
Yeah I understand it's difficult, I'm really struggling myself to have any idea of what I'm likely to achieve. It'll be easier when all of the tests are up so I'll just wait for then. Again, it's a really good site; easy to use and it looks really nice too.

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
Not sure if the questions are the same for everyone, but I'm a little confused on a particular question.

Test 3 Question 1, it is about the bromine water prac.

The question specifically says that bromine water is Br2, so when it reacts shouldnt it produce just C6H12Br2 and then the answer is D.
If the question said bromine water was BrOH then it would be different. Your Answer notes also says that there is water present because bromine water has been decolourised, however there is still water present in the cyclohexene test tube, where bromine water does not decolourise.

Thanks for implementing this system, it's actually quite helpful, one thing that might be good is to set a timer, so that people get a rough estimate of how long they are spending. Since on the HSC exam paper front cover it says allow 30 minutes for 20 questions, how about 75 minutes for 50 questions. Most people will generally aim to complete the 20 questions in 20 minutes though so they have more time for short answers. The timed exam lets them see how fast they are doing it.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if the questions are the same for everyone, but I'm a little confused on a particular question.

Test 3 Question 1, it is about the bromine water prac.

The question specifically says that bromine water is Br2, so when it reacts shouldnt it produce just C6H12Br2 and then the answer is D.
If the question said bromine water was BrOH then it would be different. Your Answer notes also says that there is water present because bromine water has been decolourised, however there is still water present in the cyclohexene test tube, where bromine water does not decolourise.

Thanks for implementing this system, it's actually quite helpful, one thing that might be good is to set a timer, so that people get a rough estimate of how long they are spending. Since on the HSC exam paper front cover it says allow 30 minutes for 20 questions, how about 75 minutes for 50 questions. Most people will generally aim to complete the 20 questions in 20 minutes though so they have more time for short answers. The timed exam lets them see how fast they are doing it.
Cheers for flagging... Will have a look at test 3 Q1 and get back to you.

Ok cheers for the feedback.... We thought about a time limit, but didn't end up implementing it in this release. It is definitely something under consideration though.

I was trying to make these exams as broad as possible and to cover content you would likely get in short answer questions as well. You will have noticed some of the calculation questions in my exams would probably be 3-5 mark questions in a real HSC exam. I think we will make these exams shorter at some point as the general feedback has been they are too long.

Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

Since 42 of you spent took the time to do Chem exam 1, I thought I would give some feedback.

The raw average was 19/50.

Excluding marks less than 10, the average was 27.4.

The highest mark was 49/50 by Menomaths who is a regular contributor on these science forums. I think it shows that doing as many practice questions as possible, in particular questions that others find difficult improves your performance. Well done- great effort.

The next highest mark was 42/50.

I looked at the answers for those who got 25/50+ to work out the toughest questions.

There were only 14 people who got over 25- well done if you were one of them.

The toughest questions were:

Q22: Quantitative vs qualitative evidence of CO2 (21.5% got this right)
Q37: Haber process with catalyst trick question (29% got this)
Q25: ph of solution post acid/base reaction (43% got this)
Q38: AAS/gravitational analysis (43% got this)

Thanks very much to all who attempted the exam. I know they are long and tough.

My aim is to help you find the tricky parts of the syllabus that you don’t know as well, so you can then go and revise and hopefully not miss similar questions in the real exam.

PM me if you have any questions/feedback or want more info on your results.

I will give feedback on Exam 2 in the next few days… so give it a go if you haven't already.

Also I have put up a 3rd physics exam for those of you who also take physics (these ones are only 20 questions).

Goodluck!

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

Feedback for Chemistry Exam 2

There were 23 participants.

The raw average was 29.5/50. This is much higher than exam 1 (where the average was 19.5/50).

Excluding marks less than 10, the average was 31.5.

The highest mark was 42/50. Well done- great effort.

Q44: Ozone-Oxygen cycle (0% got this)
Q50: Testing water quality from an industrial site (9% got this)
Q10: Molar Heat of combustion (9% got this)
Q23: Emissions of SO2 (18% got this)
Q46: Colorimetry and water quality (18% got this)
Q47: Membrane filters (18% got this)

Thanks very much to all who attempted an exam.

I will give feedback on Exam 3 in the next few days… so give it a go if you haven't already.

Goodluck!

bangladesh

HSC
I registered and got a predicted atar of 99 seeing as i was ranked first in my school which is ranked ~82. I will do the practice paper after MX1 exam to see if it's challenging or not. But overall it seems like a great website. Goodjob.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
I registered and got a predicted atar of 99 seeing as i was ranked first in my school which is ranked ~82. I will do the practice paper after MX1 exam to see if it's challenging or not. But overall it seems like a great website. Goodjob.
Cheers for the feedback... much appreciated. Let me know what you think of the exam and any additions/improvements you think could be made.

99 sounds right given your school and ranks.

Though the ATAR planner's function is more help you break down your goal ATAR into percentile goals and then give you a way of assessing yourself relative to those percentile goals (by sitting practice exams and being ranked vs other students from across the state).

Its probably not as useful for you guys who are about to sit your final exams (other than practice questions), but for anyone going into year 12. I remember when I sat the HSC not having much of an idea of the process and just studying randomly hoping for the best.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Feedback for Chem Exam 3

There were 14 participants.

The raw average was 28.7/50.

Excluding marks below 10 the average was 31.4.

The highest mark was 43… Great effort.

Q41: Tricky precipitation test question (0% got this)
Q40: Tricky phosphorus mol vs ppm AAS question (12% got this)
Q16: Beta vs Alpha decay of radioisotopes (28% got this)
Q38: Another tricky AAS question (28%)

I will give feedback on Exam 4 in the next few days... give it a go if you haven't already.

Goodluck!

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Feedback for Chem Exam 3

There were 14 participants.

The raw average was 28.7/50.

Excluding marks below 10 the average was 31.4.

The highest mark was 43… Great effort.

Q41: Tricky precipitation test question (0% got this)
Q40: Tricky phosphorus mol vs ppm AAS question (12% got this)
Q16: Beta vs Alpha decay of radioisotopes (28% got this)
Q38: Another tricky AAS question (28%)

I will give feedback on Exam 4 in the next few days... give it a go if you haven't already.

Goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)