Freebooters of the world unite (1 Viewer)

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
If you are strapped for cash or are too stingy to pay the union fees, they arent compulsory.

Just tell them you are a conscientious objector to unionism and you wont let them impose their beliefs on you. You get all the union benefits too since it is assumed that all students are members.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
its ppl like you who should be trampled to death by an angry mob of anti-VSU (voluntary student unionism) students. they should all be wearing stilettos and golf shoes when theyre mincing your face into the dirt with their heels.

VSU will lead to the problem of the free rider (microeconomics?). pfft...damm you cheap, short-sighted newbie uni students!

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Hey STFU. Dont flame me.

I never said that I didnt pay them. I made this thread about someone I knew at uni. Besides, if the union needed everyone to pay their fees to survive, they should make their payment compulsory like every other uni.

In fact, I did pay my fees since I figured Id use the stuff that union membership entitles you to and that Id be basically stealing from the union if I didnt.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Also, you cant call me a uni n00b since I graduated in the same year as you.

maniacguy

Quite frankly, given the current situation on campus I don't know that VSU (or partial VSU anyway) would be such a bad idea. I think the Union is doing a fairly good job - they provide services to students and the only political activism I can think of them undertaking is against VSU, which I believe is understandable given that it affects their very survival. On the other hand the Guild - whilst providing a few essential services - often takes sociopolitical positions not related to education and the direct interests of students. Regardless of whether or not I agree with those positions, I don't think that the Guild has the right to take such positions.

I would say that the Victorian model of partial VSU is one that appeals to me and appears to be quite popular amongst students as well. In regards to the free-rider problem, Seraphim - I don't see that the services being provided are services that cannot be restricted only to those who have chosen to take up the option of membership of the organization(s) providing them.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Someone explain to me what the VSU is, and why are they opposed by the student guild?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
VSU is voluntary student unionism, obviously they are opposed by the union because if VSU is implemented they wont have any money to spend on stupid trash (such as propaganda opposing VSU)

stamos

sellout
HSC
so that cunt who got elecfted head of the guild didn't do much to stop the union fees being voluntary eh?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The head of the guild is a moron. They claim to fight for compulsory unionism to save "essential services on campus". It sucks because even if you support VSU, your money goes towards campaigning against it. This compulsory unionism seems also goes against the Freedom of Association charter by the UN or something I've read

locu64

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
its ppl like you who should be trampled to death by an angry mob of anti-VSU (voluntary student unionism) students. they should all be wearing stilettos and golf shoes when theyre mincing your face into the dirt with their heels.

VSU will lead to the problem of the free rider (microeconomics?). pfft...damm you cheap, short-sighted newbie uni students!
VSU will lead to people paying for what they use, not being charged for bullshit they dont want.

What does the union/guild do for me?

I want serious answers not this 'they fight for your rights' crap. Forgive me for my ignorance but the only things they seem to campaign for is 'NO HECS INCREASES' or 'NO VSU' Maybe they should put some more money into arcade games that were made before 1986?

What does the union do that is worth $134.20 a semester? I'll pay the fees but this seems a lot just for a diary with a couple of coupons and a free V and a 'free' sausage sizzle every now and then.

And dont get me started on the circus that is their elections..

shannonm

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:

"free rider probem" = A situation commonly arising in public goods contexts in which players may benefit from the actions of others without contributing (they may 'free ride'). (gametheory)

what "benefits"???
give me 251$ and i will gladly pay 20 cents more for a chocolate bar.
right now your still asked for student card when you buy crap at uni and under vsu it will be exactly the same if not more stringent on checking id (therefor its not like under vsu we wil get cheaper food anyway)

as for he first poster well obviously under csu its stupid not to pay the fees (have no idea what kind of moron doesnt want their results)

opinion shared with locus

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
my stance against vsu does not imply that i support the actions of the guild or the union. i still reckon that the services provided by the union are worth keeping and althought the guild is often perceived as being too political, that is its role - to act as the political representatives of students. many of the services provided by the guild are such that only those in dire trouble would use them, but wouldn't it be reassuring to know that those services were there, eg, academic appeals etc. the point that we have to disagree with is who and how our money is being managed, not the concept of student unionism itself. more accountability is a good start.

yes, its quite ironic that guild is spending our money campaigning against vsu. lol

benefits - union subsidised food.

csu will mean that no one has the incentive to pay for their own fees.

student fees are a tax. but its a tax worth paying for as long as there are mechanisms in place to ensure that the money is being wisely.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
are they still acting as a political representatives of students when a majority of them are against (or not 'for') the very organisation

"csu will mean that no one has the incentive to pay for their own fees."
right now under csu everyone has an incentive to pay fees (unable to borrow from library, unable to grad, withheld academic results, blah blah)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Student unionism should be not exist in its current structure. It should be funded by the University (rather than directly by students) and the University should have complete oversite of its activities. That's a pretty fair outcome and in the best interests of students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)