Freedom of Choice (1 Viewer)

klaw

HSC
You may not like to hear this, but the vast majority of the time teachers are right about your ability or lack thereof to do well in a subject. I see people complaining about not getting allowed to go into certain subjects all the time, but I also know that the teacher was right, and they cannot possibly do well in it.

Your teacher was right to only let a limited number of people do Ext 2 maths, rather than half the grade. Your school is ranked 56th afterall...

In your case, I cannot determine whether or not the teacher made the right decision, because I do not know you personally. However, coming first in standard is far better than coming last in advanced. For example, let's say only the 50 people are allowed into advanced, and Jim is ranked 51st. There are two possible scenarios:

1)He sees several people doing advanced who he believes are inferior to him. This may be true, they may in fact have gotten lucky whereas on the other hand Jim was having bad days on a few of his assessments. He appeals to the studies co-ordinator and it is successful. He knows that he is amongst the bottom of the group so he decides to work very hard to improve his rank. However, he does not realise that other people also work very hard during the HSC, because afterall, it IS the HSC... There is no dramatic change in rank, and he sits the HSC exam, achieving one of the poorer results of advanced english.

2)He does standard, comfortably achieves the top ranks, and gets one of the top marks for standard english.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
klaw said:
Your teacher was right to only let a limited number of people do Ext 2 maths, rather than half the grade. Your school is ranked 56th afterall...
HOWEVER, for some reason my school makes it so easy to get into Mathematics Extension 1. Even the worst people at Mathematics who should be doing 2 unit or General Mathematics are allowed to do Extension 1 Mathematics.
The reason that my school was ranked 56th overall last year, is because we have community kids who drag us down. The number of Mathematics/Mathematics Extension 1/Mathematics Extension 2 distinguished achievers in Sefton are about the same as the number of Mathematics/Mathematics Extension 1/Mathematics Extension 2 in Fort Street anyway.
klaw said:
In your case, I cannot determine whether or not the teacher made the right decision, because I do not know you personally.
The people who DO know me personally reckon that I should have been in Advanced. You could include my teacher if you want. Everyone knows that I have a reputation for being a hard worker. I've even often been labelled as a 'nerd'. The overturned decision was a bombshell to everyone.
klaw said:
However, coming first in standard is far better than coming last in advanced.
Then how do you account for A l's explanation that it is harder to get high marks Standard than Advanced?! A l does explain the factual stuff you know. A lower mark in Standard thanks to aligning is worse than the equivalent mark which is higher in Advanced. There goes any chance of a good-looking HSC Certificate.
klaw said:
1)He sees several people doing advanced who he believes are inferior to him. This may be true, they may in fact have gotten lucky whereas on the other hand Jim was having bad days on a few of his assessments. He appeals to the studies co-ordinator and it is successful. He knows that he is amongst the bottom of the group so he decides to work very hard to improve his rank. However, he does not realise that other people also work very hard during the HSC, because afterall, it IS the HSC... There is no dramatic change in rank, and he sits the HSC exam, achieving one of the poorer results of advanced english.
I know that I am not at the bottom of Advanced. I would at least be at the average level. Considering that I hammered more than 60% of the Advanced people in my half yearly Area of Study exam, I can be sure of that.

klaw

HSC
A l's explanation does not say that coming last in advanced is better than coming first in standard.

One exam is not enough to judge whether or not you are better than the advanced students. Did you consistently beat most of the advanced students in previous years? If so, then I believe your teacher was wrong and you should be in advanced.

carpediem

HSC
I wanted to get into advance but they didn't let me cause they didn't have enoguh to make two classes, so they just got one class. they said to my mates and i that we can move up if we prove our selves in the AoS test, i managed to smash all of advance's mark. then they asked me after if i still wanted to do advance and i chose not too because to tell you the truth the text advance were doing didn't appeal to me as much as what standard was doing. so i hope i didn't make a mistake

carpediem

HSC
oh well our half yearly the whole thing was AoS so standard and advance did the same, cause at the start they wanted to like make both standard and advance to do the same thing so after teh test if someone scored high they could move up or if someone wanted to move down. dunno my school is just weird

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)