• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

French and German (1 Viewer)

daniL

HSC
I am having a hard time deciding between doing beginners German (GRMN 1111) or French. The problem with French is, I have done four years of it (years 7-10) and I don't know whether they will allow me to do beginners (I have forgotten so much, it would be better to start from the beginning). Does anyone know if I will have to do intermediate (FRNC 1201)? I have tried contacting the uni and emailing them, but no one has responded. Also, with FRNC 1201, it will clash with my HSTY 1045 lecture on Monday's. Another thing; if someone has done beginners German before, is it really difficult? Is it at a very fast pace? Any help in minimising my ‘crisis’ would be much appreciated. :p

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hha i ahvent done either but as far as im aware yes youwould have to do intermediate french

i have a friend who does begners german and i did beginers latin and no they dont rush you and its quite easy to pick up! anyways my friend loves her german course so she'd reccommend it

frenchie

HSC
I am doing a French major, and to the best of my knowledge Beginners is reserved solely for people with zero experience in French. Most likely you would have to do intermediate, but approach the Department and make enquiries.

daniL

HSC
Thank you Shelley and frenchie for your help. :) I guess this means that the choice is out of my hands; German it is. I'm kind of sad because I really would like to do French again. Oh well.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
I dont think this is entirely true. My friend did French beginners, and she ended up having to drop it because she couldn't keep up as she had 0 experience with French and the people in her class while not coming from a French background had done French or some European language during class. The professors in the language department tend to prefer you call them or see them in person rather than emails. You have to be persistant or sometimes they'll just ignore you.

eshi

shy
HSC
That's what prevented me from taking French Beginners'. You can enter the course if you have done either no more than 2 years of French or HSC French with a result under 65%...OR if you are a complete beginner! I would love to do French but I think I will end up doing a course through TAFE instead...simply because I need to maintain a credit average and I'm afriad I won't be able to do that if this particular course moves too fast. Hence my choice of Italian Beginners'. :D

zeropoint

HSC
eshi said:
That's what prevented me from taking French Beginners'. You can enter the course if you have done either no more than 2 years of French or HSC French with a result under 65%...OR if you are a complete beginner! I would love to do French but I think I will end up doing a course through TAFE instead...simply because I need to maintain a credit average and I'm afriad I won't be able to do that if this particular course moves too fast. Hence my choice of Italian Beginners'. :D
Why not do a non-credit continuing education course at usyd? I'm doing French 1B. Check out www.cce.usyd.edu.au and have a look at the language courses. I'm not sure if they are still accepting enrolments though.

viviena

rawr.
HSC
daniL said:
Also, with FRNC 1201, it will clash with my HSTY 1045 lecture on Monday's.
Damn damn damn... (I'm doing the same subjects.)

daniL

HSC
Should I go in to the French department and speak to them tomorrow and see what can be done? I think that's probably the best thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)