Friends or not friends, that is the question! (1 Viewer)

Shadowlamb

HSC
Just flicking through the forum in general, and I was thinking about my GP. There are two groups in my drama class. My group is a lot further along, we have a better script and we work a whole lot better. My group has four people in it and we are not friends outside of the drama room. The other group has five people who are close friends outside drama.

I think that we work best because we are not friends and we can yell at each other and stuff, and it has no long term implications on our social lives. We also can leave drama in the performance space. The other group have had huge issues with confronting a certain member on her appauling acting skills and shoddy script writing, hence then being so far behind.

Wondering weather anyone can back up my theory or shoot it out of the water.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I think you are correct. At our school the teachers kind of advise us not to go with close friends. I can imagine myself working fine with most of my friends, but I wouldn't want to destroy friendships over something as trivial as drama group-piece. I'd yell at my friends as much as I'll yell at non-friends though!

Peartie

HSC
In my class the majority of people have gone in friend groups....they were further behind than the other 2 groups who were not but because of the 2 assessments weve already had on it everyone is doing quite well....

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i iabsolutely agree. time and time again it has been shown that people who arent close friends get a lot more work done in a short amount of time.

that being said, i have become good friends with my drama group, morale thingy...
i love them all!!!

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
im friends with all the people in my group - 2 in particular.. the other girl i just knew through drama and we always had a few laughs together, but our group works well and bad at the same time. Because we're all friends there are time where we find it hard to yell at each other for having no energy or 'not being bothered' to get up and do something. However i have never had so much fun as i have when we were all just mucking around with different scenes for our GP. We used to film everything we did and we have SO much funny stuff on there that we have done together that we are making a mini-film for all of us to have as a reminder of how much fun we had, and how well we did in composing our piece.
But i do agree, that if you werent friends when it all started out it would be alot easier and that alot more would get done. But if you are all willing and determined, then no matter who you are with, the work and the quality of it will still be outstanding :)

/rant

anchor

HSC
I suppose it depends on the nature of your friendship. There's either going to be incessant giggling and irrelevant chatter, or legitimate 'on the same wavelength' progress. It's usually rather obvious which.

Of course, some people have difficulty 'opening up' with people they're not friendly with, but we should all know each other well enough by now.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
My group, we're friends but we're not a close knit group. We haven't fought thus far, except over the colour of a chair (!). The other 2 groups, one lot are really close and haven't fought, the others hate eachother... and well, they suck.

jaihson

HSC
Yeah I went with 2 friends. I've found that as the exam date has gotten closer there has been a bit of tension between us all. It's difficult because no one will bite at each other, everyone just keeps quiet if someone raises an idea no one else wants to do. Although lately sometimes I feel I can be very blunt.
I'd recommend that yes you shouldnt go with close friends, not because it will necessarily tear ur friendship up, but because you'll be reluctant to knock back ideas you dont like as you wont want to offend.
Having said that, I feel there is a stronger sense of unity in my group at the end of the day.
Just some advice.

chingly_choo

Bustin' this crib
HSC
I deliberately chose not to go into a group with four of my good friends because we are all "dominant" personalities and as a result Ifelt it would make drama a chore. As a result I am in the only group of four (the rest are five) in the class and we have worked reasonably well together. While the other two groups have been having some major issues, especially the one of my friends aree group are prone to being in the depths o despair rather than slanging matches.

I think it can work with really good friends if you make sure that you don't take any drama related dramas out of the room. In all other play building groups I have been with really close friends and we were fine. I think it depends on the people

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i kind of agree... we only have 5 people in my drama class, so it was easy for the group, we just did it together, and the other four are closer ... im sort of the outsider, like we're sort of friends but not that much, and yeah, it does make it easier to yell at them and stuff, but then we also all work pretty well together anyway...

Ashe

HSC
We have four groups in our drama class and the ones who weren't friends to begin with have really fallen apart. I'm great friends with the other 3 people in my group and I think in all the experience has made us better friends. Admittedly it has tested us but it has also made us more open and reliant on one another. I say being friends is positive.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I guess I've had a really different experience to all of you guys. For our GP groups (back in the day!) most of us were with friends. It made it a bit hard though to not be with friends as we all got along (mostly) and 7 of us (out of 15) were from the same group of friends. I was in a group of 4 and all 4 of us were in the same 'group' at school. We didn't however hang out on weekends with one another that much. Now we see one another as often as we can! The other groups, one in particular, were all friends with one another outside the class room. The one in particular, the four of them were like best friends, although from different groups, they were inseperable.

The best thing is that in my group and the other I mentioned, there were never fights because we knew one another too well and could tell each other to shut up without causing offence.

Shadowlamb

HSC
Interesting thoughts guys and galls.

To add a new leval to the discussion, has anyone made an amazing new friendship through drama? Specifically GP? Since I first posted I have discovered that my group have actually become quite good mates. It was a really shocking revelation. I went to school as usual, got to drama, and all of a sudden realised that we had a 'group joke'. Yes...it was odd...

Anyway, your thoughts please!

smithica

HSC
ok.... my group....well we have problems.... we despise each other, it's nut....we fight so much about everything and the teachers put an intervention to our bickering by only letting us talk to each other during supervised rehearsals......like i said it's nuts! lol next thing u know we will have restraining orders being handed out......but all this fighting hasn't affected our performance itself though, our trial mark showed us that....27 isnt bad. the very fact that we were so competitive made us try so hard to outdo the other that our performance exploded with energy so hopefully we can use it for the big day.....my advice to anyone having group troubles is.....although its kinda shallow..... forget the group and try your hardest, a little competition works in drama

Skitzo

HSC
I HATE GROUP PERFORMANCE. I would prefer to actually have to hand in 3 major IP's for drama. Due to the fact that everyone in my group is completely different, alls we do is argue. Arrghhh! I hate it. Like everyone puts their 5 cents worth, but honestly , l couldnt care less if l was with friends, enemies or even people l had no idea about, as long as they aren't dependent!!!!!!

Shadowlamb

HSC
Skitzo said:
I HATE GROUP PERFORMANCE. I would prefer to actually have to hand in 3 major IP's for drama. Due to the fact that everyone in my group is completely different, alls we do is argue. Arrghhh! I hate it. Like everyone puts their 5 cents worth, but honestly , l couldnt care less if l was with friends, enemies or even people l had no idea about, as long as they aren't dependent!!!!!!
Honey! I don't know how you could think like that! I mean, I get ticked off with my group at the best of times (Like today when we had organised a full day rehersal-god bless the man who thought up days off during trials!-and we ended up only doing two hours. TWO HOURS! MEEP! WE ARE BEING EXAMINED ON THIS ON THURSDAY YOU STUPID BOYS! *twitch* but that is another story, for another time), but three IPs! THREE IPS! That is crazy! You guys must really struggle.

Just a little question though, do you think that despite the conflict you will get a half decent mark?

dany_starlet

HSC
Our group members are now friends! We weren't as close before but created a bond with the help of our performance.

When your working with your friends, I think it's the opposite... you often get distracted as much discussing social things, might get worried you hurt their feelings etc.

My group has been successful even though my teacher was the one who put us all together. It has worked out for the best.

roxie_b

HSC
i kinda agree but at the same time disagree... i am in a group totaling 3 people and none of us had worked together before yr12, i mean, we had been in school plays and things together but not working so intimately as a small group until now. our play is really kool, i really like it cos its quirky and heaps fragmented and stuff, but at the same time i cant say it was easy and fast to come up with ideas and refine them, we all have very different views and it was hard to get ideas across to one another cos we were all a bit afraid of what the others thought (silly, i know, but the truth)... they are great people and i love them to bits and I DONT WANT TO LEAVE SCHOOL YET...IM TO YOUNG TO DIE AND IM GONNA MISS YR12 DRAMA!!! noooo.... again, sad i know :)

Skitzo

HSC
Yes, we should due to the fact that this group has 2 of the best actors and drama students in the class. And we have done it now, feed back form the teacher states that although many in the group seemed to majorly stuff it up, it shouldnt affect my mark .... so hopefully .. only time will tell! But yes, l find that the IP's are easier then GP's... imo.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Shadowlamb said:
Interesting thoughts guys and galls.

To add a new leval to the discussion, has anyone made an amazing new friendship through drama? Specifically GP? Since I first posted I have discovered that my group have actually become quite good mates. It was a really shocking revelation. I went to school as usual, got to drama, and all of a sudden realised that we had a 'group joke'. Yes...it was odd...

Anyway, your thoughts please!
yeah, ive gotten to be heaps better friends with the people in my class cos we have to work together so much... we have to be around each other all ther time and it makes us know each other more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)