friendships (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thegovernator

I live in a working class area but my parents are very wealthy. Most of my friends are hung-up about money and I detect a lot of bitterness and jealousy with them towards the world, for the hands that they have been dealt in life. It makes me feel uncomfortable being around them at times, the fact that they are so anti-establishment, knowing that my family and I are about as establishment as you can possibly get. Some of the things they have said to me have been hurtful and embarrassing, and I know what they think underneath, but they don't openly come out and say it to my face etc (that I'm a little rich kid). Sometimes I think I should find new friends, but then again finding new friends isn't as easy as it seems.

Are these friendships destined to fail... I don't seem to have much in common with these people outside of playin sport together and stuff.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Yes. Besides, you'll find new friends once school's over. I have a friend who's rich and we tease her about it all the time, but the thing is, we still like her because she's not uppity about her wealth, she doesn't flaunt it. I'm fairly anti-establishment and hate authority but a good friend is still a good friend regardless of their social status. If your so called 'friends' can't handle the fact that you have more money than them, I don't think they deserve to be your friends to be honest. Find a hobby outside school or join a club or something. Find new friends.

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
You need more rich friends, people who have money, people who are established.

p.s. you sound like a rich prick, and your the reason i left meriden.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You do sound like a rich prick.

The jealousy you sense in them is totally imagined. They may rip on you about your wealth, but only because you show insecurity about being different, and they may well (probally deservedly) perceive this as arrogance.

The Australian way is to hate on anyone with a hint of pride over accomplishment, particularly material wealth. Unless they're desperately poor or greedy assholes, your friends don't really care about money, but everyone hates a tall poppy.

How does wealth come up in a school situation anyway? Just don't dress up, and don't talk about shit your parents have bought you, and how would they even know you have money? Any hate you're getting is a result of your personality, not your circumstances.

T

thegovernator

the tall poppy shit bothers me to be honest. I won't lie. I have friends that have 'made something' of themselves of their own backs, and the minute they became 'successful' the people I was referring to earlier were the first to start dragging them down and talking a lot of shit about them behind their backs. If that is their attitude in life, well I guess they are losers.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Just remember a few things:

1) Yes it can work. I don't think they're destined to fail. I've been good friends with someone financially well off for a decade now. You just need to work at it, and both parties need to be understanding.

2) Make sure you aren't oblivious to what could potentially be hurtful to them. Something as simple as asking them to dinner all the time could be stressful. I remember one of my good friends had a spack at me for not turning up to their birthday party, despite attending their dinner, buying them a present, and travelling great distances for them.

3) Financial troubles happen to can happen to friendships. You don't need a financial gap between friends to have one.

4) If they're simply cold hearted about your wealth, find new friends. They're not worth your time. You just need better friends. You don't necessarily need friends of better financial situations.

5) You're not necessarily going to be well off all your life. One day you'll need to make it out on your own, get a mortgage etc. I just find that most of my uni friends, from whatever income class they're come from, start from square one just by moving out. And now we're on equal footing. I'm not sure how relevant this point is to you, but here it is lol.

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
Graney said:
You do sound like a rich prick.

The jealousy you sense in them is totally imagined. They may rip on you about your wealth, but only because you show insecurity about being different, and they may well (probally deservedly) perceive this as arrogance.

The Australian way is to hate on anyone with a hint of pride over accomplishment, particularly material wealth. Unless they're desperately poor or greedy assholes, your friends don't really care about money, but everyone hates a tall poppy.

How does wealth come up in a school situation anyway? Just don't dress up, and don't talk about shit your parents have bought you, and how would they even know you have money? Any hate you're getting is a result of your personality, not your circumstances.
legendary explanation dude.
i agree. my mate is as wealthy as shit but no1 knows, i only do cause i know his parents. all his friends are working class people and everything works out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)