From 2 unit to general? (1 Viewer)

jazzbaby

HSC
ok so my mark for 2 unit is 53/100 and rank is 39/68

im considering going to general, and yeah i got the forms and everything so i have till monday to decide.

my other subjects for hsc will be:
4 u eng
legal
business studies
ipt
math ( general or 2 u)

right so im not sure if i should drop down like i want to but i dont want to as well LOL im soooo confused >.<
but i think i would be able to totally kill general and possibly get over 90

but still
i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

thnx xx

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jazzbaby said:
ok so my mark for 2 unit is 53/100 and rank is 39/68

im considering going to general, and yeah i got the forms and everything so i have till monday to decide.

my other subjects for hsc will be:
4 u eng
legal
business studies
ipt
math ( general or 2 u)

right so im not sure if i should drop down like i want to but i dont want to as well LOL im soooo confused >.<
but i think i would be able to totally kill general and possibly get over 90

but still
i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

thnx xx
Why not say good bye to Mathematics? If I were in your position, I would drop a subject to have more free time (considering that you are decent in all of the 10 units). But if that's not the case, do General Mathematics. It is quite useful and practical.

jazzbaby

HSC
im already dropping comm fam studies

and i want to stay on 12 units in case something doesnt go as well as i thought it would.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Try drop to general. It shouldn't be much work... If it is, then drop general =O

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Drop down to General if you're not doing too flash in 2U. You could maximise your results doing General if you perform better in it than if you performed terribly in 2U. There's no shame in doing General, 2U and General are two completely different courses.

I have a friend who was always just passing 2U maths and moved down to General this half year and is doing absolutely fantastic in it.

jazzbaby

HSC
yeah i think i just might

coz i was thinking since i will have 12 units....maths might not even count towards my uai.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
jazzbaby said:
yeah i think i just might

coz i was thinking since i will have 12 units....maths might not even count towards my uai.
Exactly. i honestly think it would be pointless to do more than 12, but that's just me ;)

jazzbaby

HSC
yeah but i guess some ppl do 14 as back up or something.

but thats why im doing 12 u just incase i do shit in somethin else.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Since you're picking up 4U English and you're not doing well in Advanced Mathematics:

1. If you can maximise that 'just passed' mark to say 70-100/100, keep 2U Advanced and continue to persevere, as you'll reap the benefits of scaling.
2. If you think you can completely ace general maths, as in 90% at least and 100% at most, drop. You've got 4U English right beside you, in which you'll need to dedicate more time towards, esp for that major project.

Hope that's helpful advice...

jazzbaby

HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
Since you're picking up 4U English and you're not doing well in Advanced Mathematics:

1. If you can maximise that 'just passed' mark to say 70-100/100, keep 2U Advanced and continue to persevere, as you'll reap the benefits of scaling.
2. If you think you can completely ace general maths, as in 90% at least and 100% at most, drop. You've got 4U English right beside you, in which you'll need to dedicate more time towards, esp for that major project.

Hope that's helpful advice...
yeah
my parents offered to get me a tutor and everything for adv math
i just know if i were to continue with 2 u.. i would have to put in ALOT of effort to get over at least 70 and yeah 4 u english is gonna need alot of effort as well

and yeah
i could ace general

yeh thanks a load :)

spoonbender

HSC
If you get over 50% in 2U, you are above average. If you think you can hang in there and do alright, you might have a better chance at doing well due to scaling. A teacher brought these tables from the UAC website in and it said you have to be in the top 1.5% in the state to get a UAI of (I can't remember exactly but it was something like...) 90. Can't remember exactly but it was not good. It all depends on how crap you are at 2 Unit though. You've also got to keep in mind that General is a whole different course to 2 unit, not simply an easier version and if you drop, you've got to catch up on 3 terms worth of work.

jazzbaby

HSC
spoonbender said:
If you get over 50% in 2U, you are above average. If you think you can hang in there and do alright, you might have a better chance at doing well due to scaling. A teacher brought these tables from the UAC website in and it said you have to be in the top 1.5% in the state to get a UAI of (I can't remember exactly but it was something like...) 90. Can't remember exactly but it was not good. It all depends on how crap you are at 2 Unit though. You've also got to keep in mind that General is a whole different course to 2 unit, not simply an easier version and if you drop, you've got to catch up on 3 terms worth of work.
yep i will catch up. but yeah im totally not happy in 2 u...i get what he is talkin about in class and then exams for me are like wtf.

its weird.
but yeah im leaning towards doing general.

thanks for your input though :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop to general if you don't like 2U. A band 6 in general will not hurt your UAI.

Last edited:

jazzbaby

HSC
lol haha
:p
yes i dislike it with a passion

lol i am totally convincing myself to go to general and in the morning i was like ME ?GENERAL? NEVER!

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
hey,
i dropped from 2U to general at the beginning of this year (im 2008 hsc though) and honestly it was the best thing ive ever done.
BUT admittedly i was failing 2unit maths
my advice to you is:
-if you think you can bring your 2unit maths mark up, keep it
-if you are truly doing your best, drop to general and just really aim for a band 6.
-also if your keeping 12 units general will be less pressure, 2 unit apparenely gets harder in year 12 and its alot of work, BUT if you can get alright marks in it , it will be worth it! however if you dont think you can, drop to general.
general is ALOT easier than 2unit, but you still need to work in it, dont slack off in it.
good luck!

jazzbaby

HSC
jortari said:
hey,
i dropped from 2U to general at the beginning of this year (im 2008 hsc though) and honestly it was the best thing ive ever done.
BUT admittedly i was failing 2unit maths
my advice to you is:
-if you think you can bring your 2unit maths mark up, keep it
-if you are truly doing your best, drop to general and just really aim for a band 6.
-also if your keeping 12 units general will be less pressure, 2 unit apparenely gets harder in year 12 and its alot of work, BUT if you can get alright marks in it , it will be worth it! however if you dont think you can, drop to general.
general is ALOT easier than 2unit, but you still need to work in it, dont slack off in it.
good luck!

wow thanks for that
much appreciated

xx

forkyspoony18

HSC
I'm doing 2Unit at the momment. At the end of term 4 last year, I had the option of dropping down to General Maths, and I didn't. Back then I was probably averaging on 60% in each assessment. Maths is my worst subject, and because of that, I spent too much time studying it for my half yearly's, and my other subjects were sacrificed. I then ended up with only 55% in maths, and probably an average of 70% in my other subjects which I wasn't too happy with.

I really really really wish I had dropped down to General Maths when I had the chance. I wish someone had given me this advice back then lol.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)