frontline assessment help... (1 Viewer)

kim_

hey evry1 i have this frontline assessment task,

The representation of truth usually features manipulation and selectivity in varous ways and to varying degrees.

How do frontline and outfoxed use these features so that it might be accepted by the resonders as truth? Im most likely going to use the seige, playing the ego card or add sex and stir....but we only get to use two so i dont know which one to pick...
ne help wuld be great thanx

Lennie

fairydust said:
hey evry1 i have this frontline assessment task,

The representation of truth usually features manipulation and selectivity in varous ways and to varying degrees.

How do frontline and outfoxed use these features so that it might be accepted by the resonders as truth? Im most likely going to use the seige, playing the ego card or add sex and stir....but we only get to use two so i dont know which one to pick...
ne help wuld be great thanx
Use 'Add sex and stir' and 'The seige' :uhhuh:

Both of them show selectivity hence manipulation more effectively then playing the ego card.
e.g Brooke asks Mrs Forbes if she can cry again
Marty in his flak jacket kilometers from the crime scence
The student psychologist

Just to name a few.

Im not doing the module this year, so my understanding is pretty limited.

Just go on about the inclusion/exclusion process, mainly.

Remember, our understanding of the truth is all about the presentation.

Aimz- Lou.

To discuss how FRONTLINE presents its stories to the viewers as absolute truth, you can talk about:
- High modality of language. (They make it sound like they are exactly right, even if they are making up the facts.)
- Involvement of professionals in the area being discussed.
- Visual presentation, such as in Add sex and stir when the replay of the locker room is presented.

These ways of creating the impression of truth incorporate manipulation of the facts and of the people involved...
For example:
The siege:
- Asking the old lady to cry again.
- Marty wearing the flak jacket a long way away from the scene of the siege.
- The student psychologist.
- The use of the live phone interview with the gunman and also the map. (This doesn't manipulate the facts, but it manipulates the response of the audience, who by nature respond to visual images.)

Playing the ego card:
- Telling the rioters when to shoot in order to create good visuals for the audience.

Add sex and stir:
- The replay as mentioned above.
- Brooke's alteration of the question after the answer has been given... (How many girls in the team are gay?)
- The use of high modality of language is particularly evident in this episode, as Brooke presents her story as the absolute truth, with no room for questioning, and it is revealed later in the episode that she has not based it on any facts, only on rumour and one persons story.

I hope that helps at least a little bit... If you need more help i can post more detailed notes later.

kim_

its due da 1st day bak, i havnt evn strtd, but am planning to strt nxt week

serge

HSC
"The representation of truth usually features manipulation and selectivity in varous ways and to varying degrees."

the others have manipulation covered, but for selectivity use

-Brian's control over what goes to air,
-Double standards with the gay cricketter and
-cutting off the gunman when they promised to air his "side of the story"

crazy_viet

BoS Member
HSC
with 'add sex and stir' brian is not very subtle about the issue..

"when you're done with her, [alison] bury her"
"..it's a leso story!"

what this suggests? brian does anything, in this case exaggerates, for ratings whilst looking out for himself, i think. =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)