Frontline Techniques (1 Viewer)

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
When we're asked about techniques in Frontline do we talk about stuff like cheque book journalism or stuff like the documentary effect?

EDIT: and how many eps of Frontline do we need to know? I'm only doing 2...should I be doing more?

Last edited:

pete_mate

HSC
thats actually a good question, to change it a little: do we talk about the techniques of the show frontline itself?
or the techniques of the current affairs team portrayed in the show?

you talk about the show itself: satire. irony, etc.

the techniques of the news team is talked about when you talk about truth in the media etc.

Cab31

HSC
You need to refer to BOTH!! Its really important that you differentiate between 'FRONTLINE' (the text we study) about the show 'frontline'. Basically they are making kind of opposite points if you get what i mean. FRONTLINE is using the technique of 'mockumentry' to reveal the shonky behaviour of the frontline team. Possibly the more important one to talk about is how FRONTLINE reveals that frontline's behaviour is wrong - i.e. satire, mocking, parody etc. The hand-held camera makes us feel like we are seeing 'the truth', the behind the scenes look at the making of a current affairs program. We therefore are inclined to beleive that this is what realy happens behind the glossy 'exposing' of the 'criminals' on typical current affairs shows. E.g. the parody of Ray Martin, though the character of Mike, reveals to us that the images of these hosts as concerned and all knowing is not correct.

All in all, we are studying a text which has a 'show within a show' style of presentation and hence, both 'shows' need to be talked about appropriately.

kibb

HSC
yer.... look at what truths both are trying to communicate as well as how these are being communicated and then look at why this is done.... also look at both sides seperate and then look breifly at the combined effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)