Frontline (1 Viewer)

Which episode of Fronline do you pr4efer to write about?

• Add sex and stir

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • This night of nights

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • The Seige

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Smaller fish to fry

• We ain't got dames

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Playing the ego card

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • All at once

• Total voters

mon_mon

HSC
Well, it seems as though everyone else has already done their trials, but i havent, so......oh man. i am so screwed. i guess my major problem is not writing enough, and now i figured out that my teacher is kinda evil. *sigh* oh well. Oh right, the post. Well, i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Frontline, and which episisode they prefer to write about.

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I think that it usually works best to write about 3 or 4 of the episodes, if possible. It's easier to write about;
-The Siege
-We Ain't Got Dames
-Playing The Ego Card
-Smaller Fish To Fry
as they're all in the Frontline scriptbook, which makes taking notes much easier for them.

Additionally, Smaller Fish To Fry goes nicely with my related material, with the power relations within the network clearly apparent (The same threats being given by Farmer to Brian as Brian gives to Mike etc:.. "The cowboys upstairs" and all that..)

The other two episodes are also useful, it's just a matter of what points you're emphasising about the construction of truth. (Which is where 'Add Sex And Stir' fits well, with the question being edited, and thus creating a drastically modified meaning from the answer..)

The only problem with having to see the episodes multiple times and so-forth is that I'm worried I'm going to 'burn out' on them, and then lose the humour. :(

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
for my trial we only had to write about two. i wrote about the Siege and Playing the Ego Card but also referred to other episodes, especially Smaller Fish to Fry. what episodes i chose depended a lot on the related texts i used.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I write about The Siege, Add Sex and Stir and We Ain't Got Dames.. I think they're all OK to talk about.

mon_mon

HSC
i ont know, it just seems that doing them all is a bit "hedging you bets" and you'd be better to focus on about 3, like my teacher says to do with Gwen Harwood.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
we got told that you SHOULD use the siege... that if you dont the markers arent as impressed....

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*
we got told that you SHOULD use the siege... that if you dont the markers arent as impressed....
sounds like bullshit to me. it might be the easiest and most obvious, but im sure if you did the others WELL you'd get the exact same sort of mark.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
you haven't done your trials yet?! woah... there's like less than two months to the HSC!

but yeah... i only use two frontline episodes, the siege and add sex & stir... i can't remember anything about the others :p haven't watched any episodes since the end of last year lol...

mon_mon

HSC
Yeah, i had AOS today and i've got my Modules tommorow. We do the "pathways" system, i'm only doing trials for 3 subs. But i think i'll do The Siege and Night of Nights. basically casue siege is simple and i like the night of nights.

s2ophie

HSC
i agree with spin spin, that is bullshit. i deliberately didn't do the siege because that is what everyone does. the same themes are explored in most of them so i think its better to steer clear from the common ones.

mon_mon

HSC
well, i had my trial today, and i actually screwed it pretty hard. we had "texts make their own truth" discuss. it was pretty shocking. but yeah, i used them all, well, actually i probably didn't, but i used a variety. The thing about the seige is that its got really obvious points, so alot of people do it. but i found it really different from the others, like more fast paced or somthing, didn't worlk as well as i would have hoped.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
i agree with spin spin, that is bullshit. i deliberately didn't do the siege because that is what everyone does. the same themes are explored in most of them so i think its better to steer clear from the common ones.
there u go, my answer and i don't even have to type it

it's just too common, the markers wan variety, they want something interesting, otherwise why should we even study the others?

mon_mon

HSC
Frontline is one of the module texts. If your not doing it, its not really relevant. Nice post though.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
'The Seige' and "This Night of Nights' because they both can be connected to real life events, thus arguing that although 'Frontline' is a satire, it is very true to life.

'The Seige' is based on Mike Munroe interviewing a gunman on 'A Current Affair' and in 'This Night of Nights' the digital phone to advertise telecom can be linked to the 'Cash for Comment' scandal

mon_mon

HSC
Does anyone else find the Siege very different from the other episodes, like it uses a MUCH quicker tone and fast paced action. I know this is the point, but alot of the humour is lost. Not that we need humour in our texts, acording to our teacher. :(

Viper

HSC
Originally posted by um name please
wot is frontline???
Frontline is a hilarious satire that was on ABC in the early 90's. It was made by Rob Sitch and all of those guys (i hate saying et al). It makes fun of A Current Affair and all of those current affairs shows. As i said before, it is really quite funny. Advanced English study it for Representation and Text.

If you want to watch it, its on The Comedy Channel (Foxtel) on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 9:30

P.S. I hope you didn't just ask that question to be funny.... If so, i have wasted my time.

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)