Frost/Nixon (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Saw this a while ago. Cant say I really liked it, though I assumed that I would.

The whole thing builds up to the true event of Nixon's confession of wrong-doing and semi-apology to the American people during the Frost interview. But to me I felt that this was not sufficiently set up.

We're led to believe that Nixon, who's pretty good btw, is going to have an easy run at restoring his name in these interviews. But then he has some booze-induced automatism where he reveals himself as pretty dirty and nasty. Yet from this point, he just falls apart at a random question which, given his past performances, we believe he could have easily have handled. Really did a poor job of explaining why he fell to pieces all of a sudden. Then it ended. Bad guy lost, idiot novice won, no hard feelings.
Stupid.

Also Frost was a total dick and I hated him as a character.
Unworthy of The Queen.

walrusbear

HSC
it's a very stupid movie about an interesting subject

the disappointing ending you correctly skewered gives the whole project no meaning, basically

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I thought it was enjoyable. I did my history extension thesis on the rise and fall of Nixon so I guess I was always going to enjoy it.

Peter Morgan seems to have a habit of making films from material that doesn't seem to warrant film-making - The Queen, Frost/Nixon, The Damned United.

Sheen played Frost with the necessary outward confidence/inward insecurity. It wasn't really a role to showcase your acting strengths. He conveys humour in nervousness well.

Langella deserves a best actor Oscar though. By the end of the movie he still doesn't really sound like Nixon - but he becomes him. An intellectual unable to empathise with the common man, but always believing what he did was right. The purge of catharsis by the time of his confession is evident on Langella's face.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i didnt see the movie but i saw it on stage in london and it was FUCKING AMAZING!

the two leads (sheen and langella) were in the play, and they were both good, but langella was simply unbelievable.

probably wont bother seeing the movie, even though i have the biggest boner for sam rockwell.

Lentern

HSC
Was my pick of Summmer for movies. I saw it a while ago so I can't really the exact questioning that brought him undone and whether or not it was inept but for me the interviews themselves were not the highlight but the kind of private internal struggles of both characters. I question the documentary style of the movie though, the kind of side interviews annoyed me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)