fuel prices! (1 Viewer)

Gangels

HSC
fantaztik2006 said:
what is going on.. any idea when the prices are dropping!
NEVER, the prices will keep getting higher and if they know that people will buy it still at this price then they'll keep it. I dont think fuel will ever go under a dollar ever again.

Happy Crazy Hippie Day :)

7th Sign

HSC
fuels never going to get cheaper...

read this on boxden USA forums...

It's not a shortage of fuel but the switch to a cleaner additive behind the possibility of spot shortages, Energy Department warns.

The price of gasoline could rise this summer because of supply problems from the phaseout of a fuel additive found to contaminate groundwater, government and industry officials said at a Senate hearing Wednesday.

The additive, methyl tertiary butyl ether, or MTBE, accounts for about 10% of the volume of every gallon of gasoline with which it is blended -- or 1.4% of the nationwide supply -- but refiners plan to stop using it next month because Congress refused to grant them protection from lawsuits.

MTBE will be replaced with ethanol, but there are doubts within the Energy Department and the oil industry about whether there will be enough of the corn-derived fuel to meet the anticipated surge in demand, and whether the country's distribution system is ready to handle it.Start investing with $100.
Explore our
new ETF center.

Guy Caruso, the head of the Energy Department's statistical division, told the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee that the imminent transition from MTBE to ethanol "could cause temporary supply dislocations and may cause price volatility." His agency estimates that 130,000 barrels per day of extra ethanol will be needed beginning May 5, an amount equal to almost 50% of current output.

$3 by summer possible
Wholesale prices for ethanol have surged to roughly $2.75 a gallon, or about 50 cents per gallon higher than usual, and analysts say ethanol supply concerns have contributed to a sharp increase in gasoline futures since mid-February.

On Wednesday, gasoline for April delivery rose 6.97 cents to settle at $1.9542 per gallon on the New York Mercantile Exchange after the Energy Department released data showing supplies shrank last week.

The average retail price of gasoline in the United States is $2.50 a gallon -- the highest level since October -- and some analysts say $3 is a possibility by summer.

Responding to a question from Sen. John Warner, D-Va., Caruso said relaxing a 54-cent-per-gallon ethanol import tax might help ease any potential supply crunch, though he stopped short of a full-blown endorsement of that idea.

Bob Dinneen, president of the Renewable Fuels Association, a trade group that represents ethanol producers, countered that the industry would be able to ramp up production in time for the phaseout of MTBE, and that enough imports would flow to the U.S. market without any relaxation of tariffs.

A crisis, but a temporary one
One of the key challenges for Midwestern ethanol producers will be getting their fuel to key markets along the East Coast because of rail and trucking bottlenecks.

Dinneen said the industry is mitigating the situation by filling ethanol storage tanks on the East Coast before summer arrives and contracting barges that can ship ethanol down the Mississippi River and then up the Atlantic seaboard.

Dinneen said any supply tightness would likely disappear within two to five months -- a point Caruso made as well. "The marketplace is responding," he said.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said the petroleum and ethanol producers have known about the impending fuel-additive transition since Congress passed an energy bill last July and said it was unfair that the lack of preparedness within industry would fall on the shoulders of motorists.

"It's sort of like let's punish the public again for something they had nothing to do with," Boxer said. While Boxer expressed anger that refiners are going ahead with plans to phase out MTBE knowing that supplies are tight, she also said there is no way Congress will grant them the liability protection they seek.

The energy bill Congress passed last year eliminates a 2%oxygenate requirement for gasoline. MTBE has been the oxygenate of choice since a mandate was established about 10 years ago as a byproduct of the Clean Air Act.

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
Speaking of petrol prices... I went for a drive today to see where I could get the cheapest petrol in my area... So yeah, the cheapest was $1.30-something so I am like, yeah ok...pull up-- fill it up... THEN I FUCKING REALISE I FILL IT WITH THAT PREMIUM UNLEADED SHIT.... SO MUCH FOR SAVING MONEY!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IT WAS SO EXPENSIVE AND I ONLY REALISED WHEN I HAD FILLED IT UP LIKE 3/4's FULL!

:mad1:

7th Sign

HSC
I filled up on like tuesday for 1.19/L hell good price..

oh must be "shire only prices"

just jk lol

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
EVERY public holiday has a fuel hike in price
the fuel companies know that people go away for the weekend. so they fuck us in the ass by jacking the prices up 20 cents.

why does australia go off world oil prices???? when we produce enough oil for ourselves?
we dont use oil from iraq we use autralian oil. so why the world oil prices.

plus the amount that the fucking government taxes. around 50% (dont quote me) is taxed.....FUCK OFF government

Jiga

I FUCKING REALISE I FILL IT WITH THAT PREMIUM UNLEADED SHIT.... SO MUCH FOR SAVING MONEY!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hahaha.... on the bright side its good for the engine :lol:

These prices are f*cked, even after 4c off at the Woolworths up the road its still $1.30 :eek:

Now when I talk about past prices I sound like my parents when they refer to past cinemas prices : "I remember the days when petrol prices were 60c" :( Imazing how quickly they have risen, I spose that will happen when you've got all these petrol stations colluding together!

EDIT:

I filled up on like tuesday for 1.19/L hell good price..
I filled up last Thursday at Woolworths for $1.09 after discount....... how can they justify a 21c increase in one week :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jiga

EVERY public holiday has a fuel hike in price
the fuel companies know that people go away for the weekend. so they fuck us in the ass by jacking the prices up 20 cents.

why does australia go off world oil prices???? when we produce enough oil for ourselves?
we dont use oil from iraq we use autralian oil. so why the world oil prices.
I agree that its totally bullshit how they raise prices cos theirs a holiday, but world oil prices do have an effect because if supply decreases then Im guessing other countries bid up the price for our oil and exports become attractive. Thats the economics behind it.... I think.

Doesnt America have a massive stock pile of petrol/oil or whatever? I rememeber my dad said this and I saw a documentary on it once, fuck off and use their own oil!!!!

- L1n -

HSC
jooobl said:
Speaking of petrol prices... I went for a drive today to see where I could get the cheapest petrol in my area... So yeah, the cheapest was $1.30-something so I am like, yeah ok...pull up-- fill it up... THEN I FUCKING REALISE I FILL IT WITH THAT PREMIUM UNLEADED SHIT.... SO MUCH FOR SAVING MONEY!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IT WAS SO EXPENSIVE AND I ONLY REALISED WHEN I HAD FILLED IT UP LIKE 3/4's FULL!

:mad1:
Premium is the shit, don't settle for second best. lol, (only applies if u have a new car).

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I was under the impression that Australia's oil is a different type of oil, like you would use to make plastic, not for driving cars.

The amount of tax is ridiculous but do you really expect anything different. Their is no justification for that much tax apart from 'they are the government that is what they do'. You'd think that we would at least get a break considering how pathetic public transport is and people have no choice but to use their cars.

I don't really care though and I think anyone who bothers to care is an idiot for wasting their time.

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
I have a crap barina that does not need expensive petrol to drive from place a to place b... Normal so called "cheaper" petrol is just fine... however I have noticed I can accelerate a bit faster- is that normal haha.. Maybe I am just imagining things- yeaaah i got expensive petrol therefor my cars faster... or not

The guys at the servo laughed at me and told me they could use something to suck out the expensive petrol and start again with the normal unleaded... I got excited and said OK Thanks!!> and they laughed at me and told me sorry to get ur hopes up...

I'm like you fuckers...

7th Sign

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
I filled up last Thursday at Woolworths for $1.09 after discount....... how can they justify a 21c increase in one week :eek:

yeah lol I saw a petrol station at kograh today $1.39/L i was like FARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Pace_T

HSC
yeh prices so fuken high now
lately ive been filling up like $5 worth (premium some shit) coz i fill up heaps when i finally see something much cheaper
the cunts laugh at me for putting $5 lol
bowman is so right
government is so fucken gay

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
it was $1.16 last friday and its $1.38 today
at the same fken petrol station :burn: :bomb:

if petrol price keep on soaring up like this, i have to move back home and start using public transport again :(

HSC
dude, every government is going to do it .. and if they don't, they're going to get that money from you some other way, shit happens

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
They seem to be rising around the world... but grr, wish I had put more fuel in earlier this week when it was cheaper.

Jiga

Hurry up and bring in the fully battery powered / Hydrogen cell cars in!!!!! I wander how much the petrol companies are paying car companies off to stop them from investing in them? Honestly by now if there was no dodgy business going on their should have been multiple battery powered cars mass produced which would result in them being alot cheaper than those current ones for like $40k for a piss ant little car!!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm so friggen lucky...on Tuesday morning I filled the tank at Shell at 101.9 (it was 109.9 but I had the 8c discount)...that same afternoon I drove past and it was 137.9!

Celebrating right now, but in a week and a half I'll be in the same boat :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)