Full Macquarie Uni Degrees can now be bought over the counter! (1 Viewer)

FlashPoint

HSC
N/A
Full Macquarie Uni Degrees can now be bought over the counter!!!!!!

Wow!!!!! Talk about damaging the reputation of MQ uni degrees. Now you can just buy the damn piece of paper if you got the money (well, we always knew money talks). At least at SiBT you still need to transfer to MQ to fully complete the degree!

Now i def wanna complete my finance degree asap or transfer.

R.I.P - putting in time + effort to "earn" your education. :mad1:

------------------------------------------------------------
Graduate recruiter: "So where'd you study at??"
MQ Grad: "I got my degree from Macquarie University"
Graudate Recruiter: "Oh really....can't you just buy those???"
MQ Grad: " ...... "
Graudate Recruiter: "I think I saw one of those in a shop window for around $20k down in the city"
MQ Grad: "..............................."

Private college offers Macquarie degrees

Harriet Alexander - Higher Education Reporter
May 12, 2007

MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY will open a city campus that will allow fee-paying students to graduate with its degrees, despite them being taught by a private college that the university knows produces weak students.

The arrival of Macquarie City College on the burgeoning shopfront campus scene in central Sydney has raised concerns among academics that students who do not qualify for university will buy degrees from the Wynyard campus, at the expense of the university's reputation.

The venture is an expansion of the 10-year relationship Macquarie has with the Sydney Institute of Business and Technology, where students who have received a diploma from the college are admitted to the university at second-year level.

Macquarie City College goes further because students will be able to take their whole bachelor degree on the campus and have it conferred by Macquarie University, rather than the institute. (WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :mad: :chainsaw: :angry:

The institute's parent company, IBT, will manage Macquarie City College and provide the teaching and administration of courses, while the university will approve the course material and issue the degree. A university-appointed academic director will oversee the appointment of lecturers.

Degrees will cost up to $19,200, but neither partner will say how profits will be split.

Macquarie University's former vice-chancellor, Di Yerbury, signed the deal :mad: with IBT to establish the college in the final weeks of her tenure in January last year.

Macquarie City College is due to open in July.

But several academics, who did not want be named, told the Herald they feared for the quality of the courses and the effect on the university's reputation, given the poor standard of former institute students on main campus.

Documents released to the Herald under freedom of information laws show that a disproportionate number of former institute students fail when they matriculate to Macquarie University, particularly in subjects that will be the mainstay of Macquarie City College: accounting and commerce.

Despite constant assurances from the university to academics that the quality of former institute students was improving, even at the most recent end-of-semester examinations the accounting examiner reported the performance by institute students was a "major concern", comprising 31.2 per cent of fail grades.

"This would seem to indicate a … [weakness in skills], especially in relation to reading and comprehension in the English language," the examiner reported.

The institute's director, Andrew Dawkins, complained in late 2005 that the number of his former students who were at risk of being expelled from the university for failing was bad PR for the college.

Mr Dawkins declined to comment. His spokeswoman, Annette Mudjarian, said the university stuck to its rules and did not make it easier to pass students.

Macquarie University said it is working with the institute to improve pass rates in some areas.

-------------------------
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/private-college-offers-macquarie-degrees/2007/05/11/1178390559627.html

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Now now, it is just some business-related degrees that you can buy, so it isn't the entire universities reputation that is at risk, just a few areas of it. :) Maybe you can still see on the degree somewhere that they completed the degree from the college? Maybe in really small font that you need one of those x-ray pens to find...

X

xeuyrawp

Haha. Nice.

Jamie, their certificates will be exactly the same as ours. Same goes for the students who do 2.5 years at SIBT, transfer across for one semester, and get a Macquarie degree. It's been happening for years. And good luck with the whole just certain areas bit - people think about the university as a whole.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
i'm gona jump boat now, to uts or preferably unsw before it sinks...

ALLLICE

HSC
The more I hear about stuff like this, and anything Di Yerbury or Victor Ma related, the more I want to transfer the hell out of Macq. I could easily have gone to USyd or UNSW but I chose Macq over the others because it seemed like a nicer environment.

Youthful aspirations and dreams= crushed :(

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah I'm going to be picking up a concurrent USyd degree next semester.

FlashPoint

HSC
N/A
This place is hella worse than SIBT. Firstly at SIBT, 75% of the students are from overseas, so at least Macquarie can say it's getting 'international exposure' in some form. :)

Also, a few of my mates go there and do the same degree as me. Although they have smaller class sizes, for the majority (if not all) the units that we have both done (e.g STAT170, ECON110, ISYS123), they had the same lecturers and sometimes even the same tutors as i did. So at least there's some "sameness" between SIBT and Mac.

But with this new money-grabbing place in the city, who knows how 'similar' the standards will be in order to obtain the same piece of paper we will get. Even at UWS or LaTrobe (no offence) you still have to earn a degree. :read:

Private college's upcoming Ad Campaign
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- "Call us now and if you call within the next 20 mins, you'll also recieve complimentary additional letters next to your name. Choose between 'BA LLB', 'BA Psych' or 'BHRM'. What are you waiting for. Call us now!"

- "Buy 1 degree, get another absolutely free*!"
* must be lesser or equal value. Conditions apply. See store for details.

- *50-Cent: Uni Shop*

I'll take you to uni shop
Want a taste of what we got
Accounting, Law, we got the lot
Give us $20k, now please f**k off ~woah~

X

xeuyrawp

politik said:
Seriously, grow up.
Hahaha, yet again, Alan, you've made an ass of yourself. :rofl:

- Foundation year is supposed to be one year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't do your entire degree through Foundation year and get a UNSW-stamped degree. Maybe read the actual article in question?
- Foundation year is taught by UNSW teachers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't do foundation year without coming in contact with a UNSW lecturer/tutor. Again, maybe read the article in question?
- The Yerbury and Ma thing has not been happening over the past few weeks. It's been happening for years. Learn to google, and you might find some articles from several years ago about both issues?
- I think people are whinging about more than 'issues among executives and student representatives'. Even so, do you suggest that issues among executives, the people that effectively run the university, and student representatives, which ensure that the executives do a good job, is a) as prevalent among other universities, or b) not worth worrying about? Maybe not talk when you obviously have no idea what's happening?

Seriously, learn to shut the fuck up until you actually know what you're going on about. Or at least do a google search, k? :)

X

xeuyrawp

politik said:
It's still relevant, given that credit is given to students in certain courses and the majority of them don't attain required English skills and fail. UNSW Foundation Year is a blatant money grab.
No it's not relevant. We are talking about people entirely being taught outside of Macquarie!

If you can't see the difference between UNSW, which actually runs foundation year, and this shit, you're even more stupid than everyone thought.

You're only half correct here. There are very few UNSW Lecturers at foundation year. Most are Ph.D students and HSC teachers.
Ahaha, they fucking work for UNSW! These people do not work for Macquarie!

Read: Fred Hilmer here. Oh, or have you got no idea about what happens elsewhere?
When did I say that I do know about UNSW's shit? As far as I'm aware, the shit at Macquarie is not as prevalent in any other big uni. Show me it being worse elsewhere, and I'll concede the point.

So no, unlike you, I don't pretend to know what happens elsewhere.

No, I win.
No, as always, you lose. :)

HSC
N/A
Why is UNSW being brought up in this thread anyway? It has nothing to do with MQ.

X

xeuyrawp

politik said:
So, as I thought, you're really posting because you don't like the fact that i'm posting about UMACQ when I don't study there?
Lol? I post in lots of university forums which I don't attend. I think that it's pretty hilarious when you obviously didn't even read the article or know the most superficial stuff, though.

I'm pretty sure I would be pwned if I posted about shit I have no idea about in the NSWU forums, regardless whether I went there or not.

Congratulations, you win.
Yup. :)

politik said:
Because i'm bored and my forum is not conducive to trolling.
Well at least troll in NS or somewhere which has an active mod. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
I hate trolling in the mq forums. I'll accept that fact that it's the national language of NS, but it just gives me a headache in the one place I like to consider clean and sane. Removies pleasies?

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
I hate trolling in the mq forums. I'll accept that fact that it's the national language of NS, but it just gives me a headache in the one place I like to consider clean and sane. Removies pleasies?
Well these posts aren't delete worthy. His other ones in NS were. =/

dey-tuk-re-jobz

cute mc-Cat-ney
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Except, I was challenging the threadstarter and their obvious drama.

And I wasn't trolling. Think whatever you want to think!

X

xeuyrawp

dey-tuk-re-jobz said:
So, did you ban me Pwar?
Yup. Your 'fuck off and kill yourself' posts were reported.

*Waits for 'wah you just banned me for disagreeing with you'*

PM me if you want to talk about it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
You know, the conclusion i've drawn from all this UMACQ stuff is that it's just bullshit. The only reason SMH is reporting on this is because of the Yerbury/Ma debacles of the past few weeks. Wow, a few stories about issues among executives and student representatives?

It happens all the time.

Seriously, grow up.
Rofl, industry expert.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ALLLICE said:
The more I hear about stuff like this, and anything Di Yerbury or Victor Ma related, the more I want to transfer the hell out of Macq. I could easily have gone to USyd or UNSW but I chose Macq over the others because it seemed like a nicer environment.

Youthful aspirations and dreams= crushed :(
For the majority of students its not going to affect you. It'll be at least 3-5 years till any sort of 'dilution' event begins, and thats questionable with the way Schwartz is wiping out Yerbury's deals.

HSC
i'm actually pretty upset over it - i already get enough (crap) (- do we get banned for swearing? i like swearing sometimes) for my macian origins, even tho i reckon it's a good uni. maybe it's just my friends' snobby parents (who won't hire mac students) but seriously so many people have said similar things to me i always shudder whenever something else like this happens. it really doesn't seem fair to us

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)