Full time job until university (1 Viewer)

moffie_bottom

HSC
I was just wondering - if you were to apply for a job that is full time, but you have to start university in late February next year...what are the odds of the company/workplace you apply agreeing to take you on?

I'm asking because I've applied to be a full-time animal attendent/groomer at a local vet...only, I'll be going to uni in late Feb. In the event of me actually getting a call back, I'm just wondering about employers baulking at the idea of an employee wanting to switch to part time. What are your thoughts/experiences? Did you try to do the same after the HSC?

kalli

HSC
why cant you just not tell them?

i started my job in feb this year knowing full well i wouldnt be working there next year but if they asked how long i would be there for? "oh im looking for a long term career..."

heck i just accepted a position as coacher and i get certified training and everything... and my last day will be Feb 25th! LOL

Seriously, just dont tell them...

Skeeta

HSC
id tell them - say you are avail full time untill march, and then avail part time

alternatively apply for a casual job - you can still work full time until uni starts - you get paid more and then they cant complain when u need to cut back on shift because you are a casual after all

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
moffie_bottom said:
I was just wondering - if you were to apply for a job that is full time, but you have to start university in late February next year...what are the odds of the company/workplace you apply agreeing to take you on?

I'm asking because I've applied to be a full-time animal attendent/groomer at a local vet...only, I'll be going to uni in late Feb. In the event of me actually getting a call back, I'm just wondering about employers baulking at the idea of an employee wanting to switch to part time. What are your thoughts/experiences? Did you try to do the same after the HSC?
I think it's unethical not to tell them- they will be spending money and their time training you up, and then if you leave, they've pretty much wasted their time/effort. I see nothing wrong with telling them beforehand- if you don't, then later on they might not be so considerate in helping you when you need flexibility.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I agree with seremnify. I told my prospective employer that i would be going to uni and was turned down, but i wouldn't have been able to tell them that when uni started i would have to scale back my hours.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
kalli said:
why cant you just not tell them?

i started my job in feb this year knowing full well i wouldnt be working there next year but if they asked how long i would be there for? "oh im looking for a long term career..."

heck i just accepted a position as coacher and i get certified training and everything... and my last day will be Feb 25th! LOL

Seriously, just dont tell them...
I just re-read over your post and I can't help but say that was a very dishonest and dishonourable thing to do.

If I ran a business and somebody needed a job, and I trained them up only to have them leave after a month.. I would be pissed. And if they ever applied for a job and used me as a reference- I would tell them exactly what happened.

Put yourself in their position and see how you'd see things. Remember- businesses don't exist purely to employ you and give you a job- they don't HAVE to, and I feel that you should respect that by being honest with them. Sure, heaps of people lie a little bit in their application to make themselves sound a bit better, but knowing fully well you plan to leave and not informing them is rude and dishonest.

moffie_bottom

HSC
seremify007 said:
I think it's unethical not to tell them- they will be spending money and their time training you up, and then if you leave, they've pretty much wasted their time/effort. I see nothing wrong with telling them beforehand- if you don't, then later on they might not be so considerate in helping you when you need flexibility.
I got a call back for an interview, and I told them that I had applied for university... fortunately, she said that tomorrow the main manager fellow would be in tomorrow, and might even consider putting me on in casual or part time work! Which would be awesome.

I never considered not telling them. I'm not very good at lying, and I'd rather just get it out in the open. Luckily, the woman I spoke to seemed very nice, and mentioning Christmas casual/part time work... well, I'm going to be hopeful :D

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
if all else fails apply for temp jobs, they usually go for 3 months and you'll get (usually) good experience and $$ for the holidays... that's what i'm doing

its good that you told them - i hope the job works out for you!

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yeh I applied for a temp job (full time until uni starts) then based on your performance they may select you for part time work during the year.

Gummy_bear

HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
if all else fails apply for temp jobs, they usually go for 3 months and you'll get (usually) good experience and $$ for the holidays... that's what i'm doing

its good that you told them - i hope the job works out for you!
Where do you apply for temp jobs? im clueless about work as ive never had a proper job. i have no idea how to apply for a temp job.
ive applied for coles myer but they havnt told me anything about it.
what do you guys suggest? where on earth do i apply? i want to work full time till i go to uni.
i still have no idea where to try and get a job.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
have you thought about doing something like vacation care? one of my friends is doing it, and shes getting 6.60am-6.30pm mon- fri for 6 weeks, which is pretty good money and its(obviously) during the school holidays

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
sikeveo said:
Good luck!

Stacie: Dont you need qualifications for that?

i think it depends on the employer, my friend had to do a short course which was provided by the employer. she also needed to have first aid

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
there are a lot of jobs that are TEMPORARY and WELL PAID that go over the three months of christmas, full time...

when you search for a job, look under TEMP

Justpassing

HSC
I deffered for a year and went off harvesting etc. Maybe next christmas, if you look around at the right time you might find work. None around at the moment though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)