Full-Time / Part- Time (1 Viewer)

HSC
Currently im doing Medical Sciences at MQ but ive decided that im going to change courses next year (because I dont meet the requirements to transfer mid-semester). Since im definately going to change courses (and can definately get into the course I want next year) I dont see any real point in me continuing with units that arent going to help me in my next course. So I was considering just doing the two units I need for my next course this semester.
However, since that means I will only be doing 6 credit points that classes me as doing a part-time study load. Even though I am enrolled as a full-time student, am I allowed to do this?
Or do I have to change from full-time to part-time. If so how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

X

xeuyrawp

colboltic_dream said:
Currently im doing Medical Sciences at MQ but ive decided that im going to change courses next year (because I dont meet the requirements to transfer mid-semester). Since im definately going to change courses (and can definately get into the course I want next year) I dont see any real point in me continuing with units that arent going to help me in my next course. So I was considering just doing the two units I need for my next course this semester.
However, since that means I will only be doing 6 credit points that classes me as doing a part-time study load. Even though I am enrolled as a full-time student, am I allowed to do this?
Or do I have to change from full-time to part-time. If so how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a good plan - most people don't think ahead and realise that there may be a better way.

You do not have to 'tell' the university you're going part-time, it knows based on your enrolments. You do, however, have to tell Centrelink if you're on Youth Allowance/Austudy/etc - to qualify as a full-time student usually means better rewards. If you're not on Centrelink, you don't have to worry about that, though.

Maybe tell us what degree you're looking at doing, so we can help.

Are you 100% sure that you can't pick up some useful units, though? You know that, if the units which you want aren't part of the degree, you may be able to pick them up as electives? Do you also know that even even if you can't pick them up in your current degree, you can get Student Enquiries to effectively add them to your study plan, so you don't waste a semester?

That way, you may still do some units which you'll enjoy. I think the best thing to do is to ring SES on 9850 6410.

Come back and let us know how it went, though! :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A part-time undergraduate student is defined as someone enrolled in fewer than 17 credit points per year or less than 9 credit points in half a year.

Are you one of them? If not, then nothing to worry about.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
AsyLum said:
A part-time undergraduate student is defined as someone enrolled in fewer than 17 credit points per year or less than 9 credit points in half a year.

All of the above is spot on. (I've only got authority to say that becuase I'm working in the registrar's department, which is the office 'behind' the SES, which processes the stuff SES receives): check your cps, and you don't have to tell the uni anything.

Technically, as I found out after a conversation with my boss last week, the fulltime/part time threshold is 8.5cp/sem and 17cp/year.

DO tell centrelink, though; I receive at least one or two requests from them a day to verify enrollment details of students. Even had a 'student' claiming centrelink who's never been enrolled at MQ... very interesting.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Nah, its not marked as a per-semester thing, if she's (assumedly) done 12cp (normal load for first sem) then that means she's on 18cp threshold for the year.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Nah, its not marked as a per-semester thing, if she's (assumedly) done 12cp (normal load for first sem) then that means she's on 18cp threshold for the year.
Ah I didn't know.

My mistake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)