Gah ... Tax File Number stuff ... advice would be nice ... (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
I'm enrolled for 2008, and I provided a certificate of application for a tax file number that the Tax Office sent me when they returned my proof of identity documents by mail when I did that. Having forgotten where I put the paper with my UniKey password, I found it just then, and found out I had the following email:
Our records indicate that you have elected to obtain a HECS-HELP loan for all or part of your student contribution for your February Semester 2008 enrolment.

However, you have either not provided your tax file number (TFN) or Certificate of Application for a TFN on the 'Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP' form submitted at enrolment or the TFN that you have provided is invalid.

The provisions of the Higher Education Support Act (2003) require the University to disenrol any student who has elected to defer their student contribution to the Taxation System where a valid TFN has not been provided.

To avoid disenrolment, you must provide your valid TFN to the Student Centre (located on the ground floor of the Carslaw Building, near the City Road Footbridge) immediately.

Alternatively, you may wish to complete a 'Tax File Number Provision Form' (which can be located at http://www.usyd.edu.au/studentcentre/fees.shtml ) and submit according to lodgement details at the bottom of this form.

If you have applied for a Tax File Number and it has not yet been issued to you, you should then provide a copy of your receipt of application from the Australian Taxation Office or provide a copy of a Certificate of Application.

If you have provided either a Certificate of Application for a TFN or a valid Tax File Number to the Student Centre in the last 48 hours, please disregard this email.

If you have any enquiries on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact the HECS and Fees office on 9351 4997 or 9351 5066.
It was dated January 30th ... two weeks ago. How fucked am I? If I call tomorrow and explain (I actually have my TFN now, I was going to go in next week and give it to the student services place) the situation, do you think I'll be fine?

Evan11

HSC
Scorch said:
I'm enrolled for 2008, and I provided a certificate of application for a tax file number that the Tax Office sent me when they returned my proof of identity documents by mail when I did that. Having forgotten where I put the paper with my UniKey password, I found it just then, and found out I had the following email:

It was dated January 30th ... two weeks ago. How fucked am I? If I call tomorrow and explain (I actually have my TFN now, I was going to go in next week and give it to the student services place) the situation, do you think I'll be fine?
OMG i know how long does the ATO take. Just come already.

(thats what she said)

Scorch

HSC
=P

Well, I got my TFN two days ago. Am I likely to be actually disenrolled? :(

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
If there was a specific cut-off date looming for you to provide your TFN by, they would have sent you about five emails telling you that YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR TFN RIGHT NOW THIS MINUTE OR ELSE THE WORLD WILL EXPLODE. Just get it to them as soon as you can and you should be OK.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
hey how long usually does it take the ATO to process a TFN? i handed my application form in like 3 ~ 4 weeks ago and still havnt received the TFN letter/notice... :mad1:

44Ronin

HSC
Have you actually tried ringing the number? .....................common sense goes a long, long way

Scorch

HSC
I read this email about five minutes before I posted it here. The office was closed. I'm about to ring them now.

@Triangulum
Thanks, that makes me feel much better.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Scorch said:
I read this email about five minutes before I posted it here. The office was closed. I'm about to ring them now.

@Triangulum
Thanks, that makes me feel much better.
Office opens at 9am.

Anyways you should be fine aslong as you fill the TFN on your HECS form before the census date which i think at Usyd is in late Feb early March. But you should resolve this matter asap.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
Wooz said:
Office opens at 9am.

Anyways you should be fine aslong as you fill the TFN on your HECS form before the census date which i think at Usyd is in late Feb early March. But you should resolve this matter asap.
Are the census dates different across diff courses/faculties? I thought the census date was March 31...

Scorch

HSC
Already done. I called the office first thing, the lady explained that it didn't really matter for another month or so, and asked me to email my TFN, with my Studen Number, DOB and full name to the HECS and Fees office using my Uni email, which I did. I received a reply thanking me for sending it, and now it's all sorted. Thanks for the advice guys! :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)