Galvanic Cell (1 Viewer)

sharp_pencil

HSC
FUCCCKCKCKKKKK i did the whole thing right except in calculation i went 0.77-0.13 I FUCKING FORGOT TO SWAP SIGN IM RAGING!!!!

sharp_pencil

HSC
how did you figure that the lead was the anode and the platinum was the cathod??
please anyone

AnOx Pb is being oxadised thefore the anode

RedCat Fe3+ is being reduced to Fe2+ thefore the cathode is the platnium wire.

mitchwong650

HSC
how did you figure that the lead was the anode and the platinum was the cathod??
please anyone

lol, Oxidation occurs at the Anode. platinum is inert meaning it doesn't oxidise or reduce.

look at the standard potentials table, Pb -> Pb2+ + 2e-

oxidation is loss. therefore the anode was lead.

micuzzo

HSC
lol, Oxidation occurs at the Anode. platinum is inert meaning it doesn't oxidise or reduce.

look at the standard potentials table, Pb -> Pb2+ + 2e-

oxidation is loss. therefore the anode was lead.
i think i stuffed this up but i dont think platinum can be an electrode as it is inert... thus i sed fe2+ is anode and Pb is cathode... however due to my study of indus chem it may have been more likey for Fe3+ to undego redox bcoz it has a higher E valu... in that case it may have been Pb anode and Fe3+ cathode...anybody agree?

goby

HSC
i think i stuffed this up but i dont think platinum can be an electrode as it is inert... thus i sed fe2+ is anode and Pb is cathode... however due to my study of indus chem it may have been more likey for Fe3+ to undego redox bcoz it has a higher E valu... in that case it may have been Pb anode and Fe3+ cathode...anybody agree?
I had a similar answer to you.....but I don't know anymore. lol.

I'm probably fucked. :rofl:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
why was this question so hard =S

you look at the Emf table thingo, see which one reaction is higher up and thats the one that oxidises, i.e. that reaction is occurring at the anode. Isn't that the basics of galvanic cells?

mitchwong650

HSC

Cathode's are electrodes, as such they have to be connected to something... ions are not connected to anything.

trust me, with the shit the board of studies has been doing they could put anything in the test
perhaps, but it was not electrolysis, regardless. There was no external power source.

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC

you look at the Emf table thingo, see which one reaction is higher up and thats the one that oxidises, i.e. that reaction is occurring at the anode. Isn't that the basics of galvanic cells?

because they worded the questions to throw everyone off, i fell into the trap, not just with that one but will all off them, you read the question and it has a platium electrode with a mix of fe2+ and fe3+ and a lead electrode with pb2+

i thought wtf is this mixture of two ions crap, we never did that in class, we only ever did the standard one, where it had a metal electrode in a soln of its ions, we never did galvanic cell with an inert electrode, bullshit what they are pulling

chopstick

HSC
N/A
which side is the anode left or right, the direction of electron flow on the diagram is only part really gets me confused?

micuzzo

HSC

yer ... its just the Fe3+/Fe2+ that is confusing ppl... wat u do for it?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
yer ... its just the Fe3+/Fe2+ that is confusing ppl... wat u do for it?
Just used the equation that was there on the standard potentials. What else could you do? =S

Svensson

HSC
which side is the anode left or right, the direction of electron flow on the diagram is only part really gets me confused?
from memory the diagram showed electron flow going >>> so in that case the Pb anode should be on the left and the Pt cathode on the right. Anode liberates electrons and the cathode absorbs them.

But maybe xfer was <<< can't remember lol

messagebrd

HSC
please which side is anode left or right on the diagram?
remember electricity always moves from anode to cathode, hence one one on the left was teh anode and the one on the right cathode

Pb is oxidised and the fe +3 is reduced

mitchwong650

HSC
from memory the diagram showed electron flow going >>> so in that case the Pb anode should be on the left and the Pt cathode on the right. Anode liberates electrons and the cathode absorbs them.

But maybe xfer was <<< can't remember lol
what you said first is correct

chopstick

HSC
N/A
i got opposite to yours:mad1:. that is where i get confused, if the direction marked on the salt brige would be much easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)