Gappers? (1 Viewer)

NellyBelly89

HSC
I wish. I have been emailing off to lots of Gap Year programs in the hope of finding some thing. However i am hoping to work for the year because i want to earn money before uni. AND i am hoping to go with my boyfriend. Its frustrating. I'll probably end up staying in Australia doing nothing that i have dreamed of :mad1: What are you looking at doing??

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
politik said:
What does the 'Gap Year' actually let you do? Take a year off University study?
Pretty much, a year where you go find yourself after the school system tells you to get lost :)

Some chose to work for a year to gain finances and realise the higher level jobs might need a degree, others travel the world to find out about cultures, some sit at home playing computer games to see if living on the dole is more their style.

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
well as far as i'm aware, the GAP Australia program (www.gapaustralia.org) is only for current school leavers. You apply while you're in year 12 and they do an interview.

You can choose to work voluntarily overseas in the following fields:
Caring - usually taking care of old people or kids.
Teaching - English as a Second Language
Boarding - Go and work in a boarding school, do some teaching aide stuff as well as the things that just need to get done.
Environmental - Help out with environmental and field studies, like those places kids go to on excursions for geography i'm guessing.
Outdoor Activities - Summer camp kind of stuff. Need to be experienced and have first aid qualifications and shit.

There are heaps of places you can go, China, Vietnam, Poland, the UK, New Zealand, Vanuatu, Russia, Germany, India etc etc etc.. the lsit goes on.

The whole thing (for like 6 months) will cost about $5000-$6000 (wild guess based on what I remember) and you can go travel for short holidays during the 6 months as well as however long you want after.

It looks like a good program and I intend to do it when I leave school next year ;)

Peartie

HSC
im on GAP Australia currently and if you are between 17 and 25 you can apply.

The programs last from 6 months to 1 year and you can do all the above mentioned things.

The outdoor activities you do not always need first aid and experience at it but it is preferable.

And depending on your placement you can get lots of time off to travel (ie at schools you get holidays off usually) and the outdoor one you are usually (from what ive been told) is like 4 weeks on 2 weeks off kind of thing. BUT during the summer months your workload will go up alot there as more people go on camps obviously.

another organisation is tutors worldwide ( http://www.tutorsworldwide.org ) which caters for just the people wanting to go to schools (boarding) style things.

With most of the placements with either organisation you get a weekly pocket money in the vicinity of 40-90 pounds (if in England) and are provided food and accomodation...with GAP Australia if you don't get food you are paid extra for food.

If working isn't for you, you can always do a "year 13" where you go to a different country and go to school for another year (most people do this if they want to learn a language...like going to Japan to learn japanese) where you will usually stay with a host family that will pay for you.

If you want to talk to people that are thinking of going on a gap year or are currently going on one head to the forum:

www.mygap.org (I think)

hope that helps...

Emmaa07

HSC
I absolutely love kids and i was wondering if anyone who has done a GAP year in childcare or summer camps for children could please give me some info.

this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. :)

Emma x

alby

cool duckie
HSC
do you want to work in childcare (under 5's) or with older (primary) kids? i dont know much about gap/summer camp programs, but i'd expect them to want you to have at least some experience...so this year look into getting some work as a babysitter, or possibly volunteering in an after school program (they're usually done at or near primary schools) - the more experience, the better.

pm me if you want some more info on working with kids...i'm a babysitter and i do some other work with kids, as well as child studies at tafe (hopefully primary teaching at uni next year).
to give you a better idea of what you want to do, look online for things like summer camps and nannying...see what experience they require and what you're expected to do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)