GAPS and CHANGING MARKS (1 Viewer)

bhsrepresent

HSC
Do any teachers from your school change internal marks to lower the gaps?

If so, what are the potential negatives of this?

I'd assume if most teachers knew about how moderating works, they'd lower the gaps between first and last so that the marks are 100-99-98-97, etc. Is this dangerous or costly to students marks in anyway? How does it affect first or last?

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Do any teachers from your school change internal marks to lower the gaps?

If so, what are the potential negatives of this?

I'd assume if most teachers knew about how moderating works, they'd lower the gaps between first and last so that the marks are 100-99-98-97, etc. Is this dangerous or costly to students marks in anyway? How does it affect first or last?
I've had this thought too... imagine if all the english teachers moved everyone closer to 0.1 gap per rank.. how amazing would that be LOL..

I wish they did, but I'm unsure if they do. Do your teachers do this?

It kind of kills the integrity of the HSC though, it's kind of like giving the question before the exam, that'll surely clump everyone together.

Anyways yeahh I've wondered this too, any one know?

bhsrepresent

HSC
apparently teachers at some selective schools do it, especially for really smart and small mx2 classes where most kids will perform externally

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
this is a perfect proposition

and the students don't know how close they are, they can calculate it, but they only see a final rank and don't know any adjustments that have occurred

probably occurs a lot

bhsrepresent

HSC
the students are probably in on it... i.e. for business and economics, im first by 10+ marks, so long as my ranks are maintained, i don't care if second is closer to me (it would only help him and wouldn't hurt me)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
it helps everyone essentially if they're all bunched up together

I'm going to pay all the teachers a suitcase of money so they can do it :haha:

bhsrepresent

HSC
there's gotta be a way bos regulates it though...

I mean, what teacher doesn't want their students to attain higher marks? It only helps their image as a teacher...

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
there's gotta be a way bos regulates it though...

I mean, what teacher doesn't want their students to attain higher marks? It only helps their image as a teacher...
how would bos be able to confirm or deny it

remember how many schools there are in NSW

if they're going to tell the school "give us their marks" they'll be made up, but they'll keep the rank

what are they going to say "no, these marks are wrong" - there's no way it can be detected virtually

bhsrepresent

HSC
how would bos be able to confirm or deny it

remember how many schools there are in NSW

if they're going to tell the school "give us their marks" they'll be made up, but they'll keep the rank

what are they going to say "no, these marks are wrong" - there's no way it can be detected virtually
If people don't perform externally and the internal gaps don't reflect external gaps, wouldn't it alarm bos?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
If people don't perform externally and the internal gaps don't reflect external gaps, wouldn't it alarm bos?
there will still be some consistency
i.e. the person below you is theoretically predisposed to be worse than you and therefore go shitter in the external

and besides, just like you may 'bomb' out in an exam, a student may bomb out in the external, there's nothing of it

bhsrepresent

HSC
there will still be some consistency
i.e. the person below you is theoretically predisposed to be worse than you and therefore go shitter in the external

and besides, just like you may 'bomb' out in an exam, a student may bomb out in the external, there's nothing of it
lmao, cheating the system ftw.

if one person was to get a 95+ in a class of 15, this pretty much guarantees everyone a mark of 80+ -> every subject -> 80 atar for no work (except for trying during externals)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Schools are only able to submit whole marks for assessments.
And schools have to be able to justify how they arrived at their assessment marks from the raw marks. The process must be statistically sound.
The only exception is that schools will often forcibly separate the top two students if their final assessment mark differs by only a small fraction of a mark.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)