• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Gateway UNSW (7 Viewers)

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
Socio-economic disadvantage is consistently associated with substantially lower academic outcomes. Rural and regional areas have less access to resources and teachers, hsc results are reflective of this. You cannot just use a blanket statement of 'scaling is fair because its based on academic performance.' People with money and resources have access to tutors, great schools and teachers which boosts their academic performance. There are plenty of studies that clearly highlight the disparity within our education system. Equity programs exist for a reason, to provide people with access to education, something they may not be afforded without. Equity programs make it fair. Im sick of people on here, whether its just rage bait or general privileged ignorance, disparaging people of lower-socioeconomic status or otherwise.
yea mate an opportunity over academically achieving students who deserve the opportunity from consistent effort.

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
scalling also takes into consideration the academic performance of your peers, if you go to a lower ranking school and do relatively well whilst your peers don't do as well you will generally get dragged down due to scalling. I go to a school which literally ranks in the 400's where barely anybody takes hsc seriously, its unfair that my marks will get affected because of my classmates.
if you are genuinely doing better than your peers and are first in your subject or in a small band with other high achieving peers you will not be affected by scaling due to dumb peers.

hscccc

HSC
its a cultural/societal issue, if you live in a shithole, chances are your peers have no hope for the future and/or don't care about school. there is nothing stopping you from doing better at school. you have textbooks, online resources, nesa course guides, etc. pay attention to your teachers as well
you are still at a disadvantage. You have to work a lot harder, with limited support, to achieve the same as a student who doesnt live in a 'shithole.' There are clear factors that prevent people from doing well at school. If you are disadvantaged, you may have to work a full time job, alongside year 12, to support your family. The world isnt fair, and we know this, thats why equity schemes exist!!

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
you are still at a disadvantage. You have to work a lot harder, with limited support, to achieve the same as a student who doesnt live in a 'shithole.' There are clear factors that prevent people from doing well at school. If you are disadvantaged, you may have to work a full time job, alongside year 12, to support your family. The world isnt fair, and we know this, thats why equity schemes exist!!
lowkey THSC gives you more or less everything you need to ace the HSC. the content is not that complicated on any subject.

Reactions: axe

axe

HSC
you are still at a disadvantage. You have to work a lot harder, with limited support, to achieve the same as a student who doesnt live in a 'shithole.'
??? how i really don't understand this. we all do the same course, we all have the same resources and textbooks, we all follow the same curriculum. if you need extra support you can get tutoring, its free at my school so its no excuse if you don't have one (they are kinda useless anyways because you can just learn it by yourself, I like tutors cause they can hold you accountable).

If you are disadvantaged, you may have to work a full time job, alongside year 12, to support your family.
ive never heard of this and i dont think this is true. centerlink exists to support these people

igor9

HSC
mfs working to put food on the table 😂
atp just give up.

hscccc

HSC
yea mate an opportunity over academically achieving students who deserve the opportunity from consistent effort.
oh come off it. kids who apply for these access schemes work SO HARD to be given the opportunity.

You said it yourself; "network , better access to resources, more academically inclined peers, better teachers and pastoral support and better access to opportunities and facilities. the teaching being better is evident since private schools don't necessarily take in academically gifted students at the start of year 7 but their students end up performing similar or better than those at selective schools and almost always much better than those at normal public schools."

how is this fair and providing equality? You will likely get in on academic merit, due to the factors you provided above. A student who does not have access to these opportunities cannot rely on that. Everyone works hard in their HSC. to suggest not is so ignorant and quite frankly, you come off as jealous as you perceive it as 'an easy way in' You are not disadvantaged because someone else is. no one is taking away your place.

Im not going to say anything else because there seems to be a lot of sheltered people in this thread that do not realise the struggles a lot of people go through as teenagers. Arguing about this is pointless, because I know I wont change your mind. Just because you havent seen it, doesnt mean its not happening. We all do the same course, yes, but not everyone has equal access. Not all schools have 'free tutors.' Gateway entry and other similar schemes would not exist if there were not disadvantages students face.

axe

HSC
oh come off it. kids who apply for these access schemes work SO HARD to be given the opportunity.
no the fuck they don't getting an 80 atar to get into a 96 atar degree is a massive pisstake, also tutoring is not that expensive i only pay like 3.5k a term which really is not that much considering how much it can contribute to your future success. the opportunities afforded by my school are due to my dad working extremely hard to create enough success to send 3 kids to 40k+ a year private schools while still going on holiday 3 times a year (ofc not in ecconomy class but i still fly business)

igor9

HSC
if all poor people are given an opportunity to go to uni who is going to do labour jobs like plumbing and cleaning, society will collapse i think the world works the way it is right now.

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
'only' LMAO buddy newsflash thats actually quite a bit for some families
bruh no shit if you live of centerlink you wont be able to support your family they should just work harder and get a job like my parents. i just googled it and centerlink give like 450 dollars a week so if you go to like a budget tuition it wouldn't cost that much and i dont really know the price of things but im sure living doesn't cost more than that

Last edited:
Reactions: axe

youraverageangel

HSC
N/A
if all poor people are given an opportunity to go to uni who is going to do labour jobs like plumbing and cleaning, society will collapse i think the world works the way it is right now.
what if they have the brains to become something big but not the money?

igor9

HSC
even a person with half a braincell can make above minimum wage. you must really be pathetic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)