gay or lesbian, does it matter? (1 Viewer)

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
emily.unknown said:
Yeah. My family is baptist and there is no other way in looking at what the bible says about being gay. I would need to change my denomination basically, and knowing what my family believes makes it hard. Thanks for your opinion though :)
I think God would rather have you as a gay person than not at all.

The family bit is tough... I guess they will have to deal with it.

Alvik

HSC
Well I guess the best advice I could give is to not rush coming out. Come out when you're ready and when you feel you will have support to fall back on.

And, in my opinion, a parents love for their children is unconditional, and that means exactly that, it has no conditions. They may experience a rollercoaster of emotions when you tell them but just remember that they're you're parents and they will always love you.

sca

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
you should say "i'm going to hell because i hate god" instead
I could've sworn there was something in the Bible about only God being allowed to judge others... and judging being a sin... and all sins being equal...

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
sca said:
I could've sworn there was something in the Bible about only God being allowed to judge others... and judging being a sin... and all sins being equal...
it depends on what type of christian you are, but all sins aren't equal...

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
i think it's okay to use either term. as a feminist, i'd argue that there should be no stigma about or boundary against women using the term "gay" to describe themselves - why do we need a separate term? there are not two terms do describe a heterosexual, so why should those who prefer the same sex have different rules?

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
chelsea girl said:
i think it's okay to use either term. as a feminist, i'd argue that there should be so stigma about or boundary against women using the term "gay" to describe themselves - why do we need a separate term? there are not two terms do describe a heterosexual, so why should those who prefer the same sex have different rules?
Is it just me or does this contradict itself?

Foxodi

HSC
chelsea girl said:
i think it's okay to use either term. as a feminist, i'd argue that there should be no stigma about or boundary against women using the term "gay" to describe themselves - why do we need a separate term? there are not two terms do describe a heterosexual, so why should those who prefer the same sex have different rules?
-pokes the feminist-
Curious, does this mean you would argue that homosexual men can call themselves lesbian?

sca

HSC
chelsea girl said:
Why is it a feminist point?

sca

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
"i'd argue that there should be no stigma about or boundary against women using the term "gay" to describe themselves"
Her main point was that we shouldn't have two terms (one for each homosexual sex) when there is only one term for both male and female heterosexuals. What I don't get is why she made it a feminist point with that second sentence, when men could also argue that they want to share the same term as women.

I guess she did say "could".

IMO, it makes sense to have differenciable terms. A heterosexual couple will always have a man and a woman, whereas if you describe to me a homosexual couple I know that you're talking about men, and if you describe to me a lesbian couple I know that you're talking about women.

If we went all politically correct, dropped the word lesbian and all accepted homosexual to include both, we'd just have to tag "male" and "female" before the homosexual to specify... and then I'd just be confused as to why having two different terms was such a bad thing.

It would be like dropping the words men and women and adopting the word "persons".

Although I suppose hardline feminists don't like that female and woman stem from male and man anway... ahh...

I don't even care. The need for feminist action as diminished to about moot. I actually have unfair advantage in the line of work I'm aiming for now that employers feel like they have to employ 50 percent women even when that doesn't reflect the demographic of women in the industry...

=> Jess

Evilo

HSC
hmmm probably use the word "gay" if you want to be serious about it. I'd use the word 'lesbian' as more of a social thing/with gf.

If you want to speak to a councellor then go for it (i wouldnt really talk to a teacher, cos all they will do is refer you to the councellor). If you are serious about being gay, it then people will take you seriously (when i say that, i mean if you prance around at parties announcing it then you wont be taken seriously).

If i was you i would have a good think about "coming out" publicly at high school - mainly a maturity kind of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)