Gendered language (1 Viewer)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Is anyone else here doing gendered language or has done it previously? I've read a few chapters of the Conversations between Men and Women (or something like that) by Deborah Tannen (sp?) (which I currently find really boring and hard to read as I keep wanting to fall aslepp) and I've read a bit of Twelfth Night. I just want to know if it gets better.. and is it only all girls' schools that do this option? That's what it seems like to me! Everyone else I've talked to seems to be doing crime fiction. If anyone else would like to share there thoughts on any of the texts, offer any advice.. ANYTHING. It'd be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
- Anna.

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
I did gendered language. To tell you the truth, I didn't read all of Tannen because we did an exercise in class in which we all had to summarise a chapter in groups, then, the teacher distributed the summaries around the class. As a result, I studied from the summaries.
I read 12th Night, but I didn't use it for my essays. I used Elizabeth as I didn't really like 12th Night. Some other girls in my class used 12th because they had memorised it for their yr 11 drama paroduction the previous yr.
Our teacher had a linguistics degree, so she she gave us a lot of academic stuff that helped us.
The bad news - I went to an all girls school and as a result we mainly focused on a feminist point of view.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go in Ext. 1?

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
thanks

Thanks, I guess I should read up more on scales and bands and stuff now :p

heather

Im just starting to study tannen now. if anybody has good summaries or knows where to get them id be really really happy if you could hook me up with some!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)