General Engo Talk. (2 Viewers)

Geologic

Banned
HSC
After heaps of searching, I have found something really awesome for those in undergraduate engineering or science.

It is a genius guy from Harvard who has posted thousands of FREE quality tutorials on YouTube in all sorts of maths, physics, chemistry, biology, finance, and they are incredibly helpful. I found it priceless for calculus & some phyics.

Khan Academy

The guy who runs the channel (Salman Khan) is an absolute legend.

:pirate:ENJOY!

(no I'm not an advertiser, it is just genuinely a top site for increasing your marks & mastering material)

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
Welcome all future engineering students of UNSW!
One way to get you started is to be familiar with the software used in Engineering.
Engineering is one of the most technologically advanced faculties in UNSW.

A) Software you may need.

Mozilla Firefox - The creators of the Mechanics of Solids online quizzes state you must use this browser as they do not support browsers such as Internet Explorer or other browsers.

Adobe Flash Player - Get the latest version in order to do the same online quizzes without trouble.

Java - You need this in order to run UNSW's Vista eLearning interface. You can get the latest version here: Java Downloads for All Operating Systems - Sun Microsystems

B) Software for home computing.

Microsoft Excel 2003 - Use this if you are doing ENGG1811. You must make sure you can use the Visual Basic interface.
You may use Excel 2007 but you must save using and work with the xls format and not the newer xlsx format.

PuTTY - If you are doing COMP1911 and are using Windows you need this software to make your PC act as a terminal to remotely access the CSE servers online where you can do your programming.

C) Software used in Engineering

Maple - This software uses symbolic math to solve problems you found tedious or impossible to solve by hand. Used in MATH1131/MATH1141 and MATH1231/MATH1241.

Space Gass - This software uses a nodal interface to design bridges, trusses and other fixed structures and analyse them. Used in Civil Engineering.

MATLAB - A front-end programming language that has replaced the much older FORTRAN for mathematics experiments and calculations. This is mainly used for larger Statistical and Numerical calculations. Used in MATH2089 and Civil Engineering's Statistics courses.

CATIA - Very similar to CAD however you are able to edit and design machinery parts and assembly in your project in a 3D interface. Used very often in your Mechanical Engineering degree.

D) About Macs

Macs are not needed in ANY engineering faculty other than CSE
(Computer Science & Engineering)

If you are considering getting a Mac, please reconsider.

If you have a Mac, please destroy it with a sledgehammer or equivalent tool.

Macs are problematic in your engineering degree (except CSE) because:
  • Lecturers and course coordinators don't support Macs
    (ELEC1111 releases videos which require provided software that only supports Windows)
  • Quizzes don't run properly using Mac's Safari browser
    (Because the required pictures in the MATH2089 statistics quizzes don't load and as a result of these Macfags the lecturer was forced to use the alphabetical text equivalent of mathematical symbols)
  • CATIA doesn't run on a Mac
  • You may have noticed the Mechanical and Civil Engineering Labs don't use Macs either.

Q: What's the best way to accelerate your Mac?

A: 9.8 m.s-2

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
lol'd.

also, i got dl links for maple 13, thanks to annabackwards.
post on my profile wall or ask on msn/faceboob if anyone wants (maple 11 is fine though, i had that before, and last i checked the maths labs use maple 12)
edit: or you could find it yourself..

Last edited:

henry08

HSC
N/A
I too 'acquired' Maple 13 a few days ago in preparation.

Can Space Gass be acquired now, or must I wait for the Uni to give me the student version?

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
The student license is theirs not yours, so you are going to have to go to the Civil Engineering Computing Lab to use Space Gass unless you can 'acquire' Space Gass like you did with Maple.
I forgot to remind MATLAB comes in second year.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Have you (or anyone else) managed to 'acquire' Space Gass?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)