General Mathematics 2015 Marathon (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
My bad I should said if its a whole number, the percentage error should be 0.5. If the number is 1 decimal like this case, it should be 0.05, if it is 2 decimal it should be 0.005? Am I right in saying that?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I see, what happens if its in 2 decimals? Am I right in saying it would be +-0.005? (that is for 'error')

What happens if its 3 decimals? WOuld it be +-0.0005?

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
What key topics of Prelim should we know? I didn't do the General math prelim course.

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
Spoke to a student of mine who told me that 'parabolas' isn't in the General Maths course anymore (this year)? Somebody could confirm?
Content
Students:
• use a graph of a quadratic function to find maximum and minimum values
in practical contexts
• recognise, graph and compare, by completing tables of values, the properties
of the graphs of:
y = ax2 + c , for all values of x
y = ax3 + c , for all values of x
y = a
x
, a > 0 , for all values of x
y = b(ax ), x ≥ 0

Straight out of the General Mathematics syllabus. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths-general-syl-2013-and-beyond.pdf

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
The thing is he is more of a linguistics student. (He is a student at Knox Grammar School) He told me 'our school has told us parabolas' isnt in the course and our school doesn't teach us it'.

I think I will need to tell him parabolas is in the syllabus. (it was in last years paper 2014 HSC a paper that me and him went through)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I looked at the difference of a total of 10 trips , in which case was $3.00 instead of the single trip. Would this be a sufficient enough answer to satisfy the markers?

happyhunter

HSC
I did the same thing on that question and wondered the exact same thing :rotfl:
I suppose if you wrote that it was for 10 trips, hopefully the marker understands :/

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
As much as I hate to say it, you can't come into General Maths and just barge it. Had to revisit the concepts of longitude angle in relation to time differences, study up on tax calculations (looking into deductions, medicare levies), radial offset surveys etc

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
As much as I hate to say it, you can't come into General Maths and just barge it. Had to revisit the concepts of longitude angle in relation to time differences, study up on tax calculations (looking into deductions, medicare levies), radial offset surveys etc
Did you find these concepts easier to pick up on than the ones in the calculus courses, like 3U?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Did you find these concepts easier to pick up on than the ones in the calculus courses, like 3U?
Of course, I just had to go back and reread a few examples took me about 5-10 minutes to then understand. I guess its like with any exam, you have to prepare and work on what your weak on in order to get better.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Had heaps of friends who were failing 2U, dropped to general and still fail.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Bludge? Barge sounds kinda funny in that sentence.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Bludge? Barge sounds kinda funny in that sentence.
I got that word off another forum (one with alot of UK forumites)

Barge- move forcefully or roughly.
"we can't just barge into a private garden"

synonyms: push, shove, force, elbow, shoulder, jostle, bludgeon, bulldoze, muscle

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I could understand on how to get the gradient. Must we use a coordinate lieing within the 'interpolated' range of values lieing on the x-axis wen determining the y-intercept?

I tried to substitute age=10, height =140 back into the formula in order to solve for the y-intercept.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I got that word off another forum (one with alot of UK forumites)

Barge- move forcefully or roughly.
"we can't just barge into a private garden"

synonyms: push, shove, force, elbow, shoulder, jostle, bludgeon, bulldoze, muscle
I know what Barge means

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I could understand on how to get the gradient. Must we use a coordinate lieing within the 'interpolated' range of values lieing on the x-axis wen determining the y-intercept?

I tried to substitute age=10, height =140 back into the formula in order to solve for the y-intercept.

No, you should get the same answer using the point you wanted to use; as long as the point you're using is clearly on the line of best fit, it'll work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)