General Maths and Mathematics (1 Viewer)

toby12

HSC
I need to select my subjects for Year 11 and i'm tossing up between General Maths and Mathematics. My teacher at the moment says I would get Band 5 and 6's in general, and strugle in Mathematics. Though I have heard that a Band 3 in Mathematics scores better than a Band 6 in General, is this true?

***mike***

HSC
i struggle in mathematics aswell, but i have selected 2U maths (i.e. advanced) in yr. 11 you can always drop down if u ask early enough, thats what i plan on doing.

i will try the advanced course and if i am way over my head i will drop down to general...

HSC
toby12 said:
I need to select my subjects for Year 11 and i'm tossing up between General Maths and Mathematics. My teacher at the moment says I would get Band 5 and 6's in general, and strugle in Mathematics. Though I have heard that a Band 3 in Mathematics scores better than a Band 6 in General, is this true?
no it's not. you would need a decent band 5 at the very least to beat a band 6 in general.

if your teacher says you would struggle with mathematics, but no offence they are probably right. but if you think you're up to it, try two unit maths and if you find it too much you can then drop it.

toby12

HSC
If you're right watatank i'll stay in General. It's just if a Band 3 beats Band 5 or 6 i'd do Mathematics but if it's not i'll do General. ;)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
toby12 said:
No it's not true but

Tell us what stream of maths you're doing now (Standard, Inter, Advanced) and how you're going :D

toby12

HSC
Well i'm in the 3rd top class (out of 8) and i'm going average. I don't really need Maths for my career path, but I want to get the highest possible UAI I can.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
toby12 said:
Well i'm in the 3rd top class (out of 8) and i'm going average. I don't really need Maths for my career path, but I want to get the highest possible UAI I can.
ok, so you're doing intermediate

i'd probably recommend General since you'll have more to learn in Mathematics than someone who did advanced in year 10, so it's more work for you.

SAM tells me that a mid Band 3, i.e. 65.0 in Mathematics is worth as much towards a UAI as a mid Band 4, i.e. 75.5 in General. Both are equal to 73.0 in English, for a reference point. (Aligning changes a bit each year but SAM is pretty good).

Of course a high Band 6 in General will end up being worth the same as a high Band 6 in Mathematics :D

beentherdunthat

HSC
2unit!!!!!!!!

1) General is much lesss interesting
2) 2unit rocks ;)
3) A band 6 in 2unit rocks more than a band 6 in general
4) All (well most) catholic papers imitate each other = funny
5) It's easy to get 95+ in 2unit
6) More people do general then maths, hence the scaling is better for maths.

In the end, MATHS 2uNIT!! :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
3) A band 6 in 2unit rocks more than a band 6 in general
Um...am I the only one that's not surprised at that statement? :p

williams180

HSC
i started in 2unit but dropped to general if your not a competent 2unit student your much better off choosing general maths and looking to get high band 5 band 6 with minimal effort. Allows more time for study in other subjects

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
***mike*** said:
i struggle in mathematics aswell, but i have selected 2U maths (i.e. advanced) in yr. 11 you can always drop down if u ask early enough, thats what i plan on doing.

i will try the advanced course and if i am way over my head i will drop down to general...
You're too used to the Year 10 system of Standard, Intermediate & Advanced.

The only mathematics courses offered in the NSW HSC are:

General Mathematics
Mathematics (called 2u)
Mathematics Extension 1 (called 3u)
Mathematics Extension 2 (called 4u)

HSC
if you have ability then no. but it would be a decent step from intermediate to year 11 maths.

jhammond

HSC

I'm in the 3rd highest class out of 8 as well, and I'm going to be doing 3 unit mathematics. And, just as an indicator, my school doesn't get very good academic results at all. I'm going to push myself to the edge to get good marks in 3 unit.

HSC
jhammond said:

I'm in the 3rd highest class out of 8 as well, and I'm going to be doing 3 unit mathematics. And, just as an indicator, my school doesn't get very good academic results at all. I'm going to push myself to the edge to get good marks in 3 unit.
if you're getting less than 80 in year 10 adv. maths you shouldn't be doing 3u.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Advanced Maths (2U) in Prelim is thrice as hard as anything done in year 10.

Looking back, year 10 maths is nothing once you're introduced with trig ident. curve skecthing etc.

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Well, I struggled a little with Advanced Maths in yr 9 and 10, and chose to do Mathematics in Prelim. Sounded like a good idea, but it wasn't. I ended up ranked around 20/40 with a mid 70's mark, which wasn't too bad, but I was stressing myself out more than I needed to and knew that I could easily get a band 6 in General if I switched courses.

My suggestion:

1) Chose General Maths and be prepared to REALLY work to keep up and be competitive in the course (if you want a really high UAI). I didn't do Prelim General Maths, but apparently its more of a continuation on what you do in years 9 and 10.

2) Do Mathematics and give it your best shot. There's always the opportunity to switch courses at the end of Year 11 and depending on how well you cope with 2U, you will probably find General far easier because the Year 11 2U and Year 12 General courses seem to cover some of the same stuff (or that's just what I noticed). Don't just do Mathematics and spend the 3 terms sitting there thinking 'Well I don't really need to pay attention to what they're saying cause I'm switching to General at the end of the year' .. Doesn't work that way!

The people at my school who switched to General are topping the year. I'm ranked 1st now in General with the only band 6 mark, but if you switch at the end of Year 11 my only advice would be to continue working REALLY hard and not get into the habit of slacking off and developing the mindset that 'General's a bludge, I don't have to try and I get good marks' .. Sure you get a rule sheet and you might get good marks, but its highly likely you'll bomb out in the end because everyone else has got their act together and you'll be stuck in your own mindset and false beliefs, and be less competitive.

Wow that was longer than I thought! Haha, hope it helps :)

Alex2

HSC
I suck at/hate maths but our school isn't offering General Maths and the only other thing you can do besides 2U Maths is Studies of Religion :)burn:) so I'm having to do 2U....

WhirledPeas

HSC
I'm doing extension maths next year
im ranking about 15th or so out of 120 in my grade
but i honestly just cannot concentrate on maths and im really worried about how i will go next year
would u recommend 2u over 3u?
im just worried uai wise - im aiming for a high uai and ext maths will do that for me (or so i heard)
and my rents have really high expectations of me.. so does my school as my sister was a wiz kid!
so i need at least one ext subject and i decided not to do ext english
but is it really THAT bad.. that much work???
:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)