general maths? how are u going in it? (1 Viewer)

mugzy07

HSC
Is it just me or is general maths, just not 'general' ?

I mean theres so much content to study and with me, I can do classwork and homework fine but when it comes to exams- I dunno what happens..?

I have my Gen. Maths trial tomorrow and I've been praticing things today- so I hope I kill it. For some reason I just get a total mind-block when it comes to maths.

I also hate how the course is so largely discriminated against Mathematics. I gave my mate a General Maths paper and he couldnt even do it, of course because they are two different courses but there is a strong discrimination between Gen Maths and Mathematics- despite them both being 2 unit. I think General Maths is a good and challenging subject, its a shame other people don't see it that way- maybe because its just
'General'.

It also sucks how uni's have no recognition for the course at all, trust me i searched the entire UAC 2009 book lol... so if your someone who does general maths....ur almost be likely to be doing a bridging course before you head to uni!

Last edited:

SiN3m

HSC
God yes i agree....i dropped from 2unit and k yeah it is easier, maybe coz some of the stuff is very basic, but it just means that they make the questions trickier...i was thinking ohk kool g.maths, kill it and get band 6.....how i was mistaken......

maybe i could've just stayed in 2unit and imporved, coz i gotta do a bridging course for it next yr newai....

PC

HSC
N/A
Yeah. The unis are still doing things the same way they did it in the 80s when students had an aggregate mark out of 500 (i.e. best 10 units).

General Maths is probably MORE useful for many degrees because of the head start it gives students in statistics. Good for psychology and stuff like that.

jazzbaby

HSC
mugzy07 said:
Is it just me or is general maths, just not 'general' ?

I mean theres so much content to study and with me, I can do classwork and homework fine but when it comes to exams- I dunno what happens..?

I have my Gen. Maths trial tomorrow and I've been praticing things today- so I hope I kill it. For some reason I just get a total mind-block when it comes to maths.

I also hate how the course is so largely discriminated against Mathematics. I gave my mate a General Maths paper and he couldnt even do it, of course because they are two different courses but there is a strong discrimination between Gen Maths and Mathematics- despite them both being 2 unit. I think General Maths is a good and challenging subject, its a shame other people don't see it that way- maybe because its just
'General'.

It also sucks how uni's have no recognition for the course at all, trust me i searched the entire UAC 2009 book lol... so if your someone who does general maths....ur almost be likely to be doing a bridging course before you head to uni!
do heaps of prac papers

and good luck

VicerExciser

HSC
Bad.

I get an average of 40% in my exams yet rank about 35/130ish students.

Mystique1

HSC
I dropped from 2 Unit and im ranked first.
Much too easy in my opinion, im still in prelim and im hitting 85%+ in HSC past papers.

jazzbaby

HSC
Mystique1 said:
I dropped from 2 Unit and im ranked first.
Much too easy in my opinion, im still in prelim and im hitting 85%+ in HSC past papers.
i recently dropped form 2 unit to general
and yeah i also find it too easy
but i shouldnt talk my self up ..having my first general math exam in 2 weeks.
lol if i get below 90 i will be so... DEVASTATED.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
VicerExciser said:
Bad.

I get an average of 40% in my exams yet rank about 35/130ish students.
Lol! I wish I went to your school.

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
PC said:
General Maths is probably MORE useful for many degrees because of the head start it gives students in statistics. Good for psychology and stuff like that.
most psych degrees recommend at least maths...

haha general makes me feel stupid. especially since i'm going so average at the moment :(

o7nesss

Behind that Tree
HSC
im going alright like averaging about 85....and i havent studied one bit...but...im trying so hard in english and the most i get is like 60 >.<
but yea...i wish there was a maths like...in between general and 2unit...that would be good...

mugzy07

HSC
haha prelim kids, i was in the same boat as u, droppin from mathematics-

let me just say that year 12 general maths was a different ball game for me :) ahaha

kailajian

HSC
mugzy07 said:
haha prelim kids, i was in the same boat as u, droppin from mathematics-

let me just say that year 12 general maths was a different ball game for me :) ahaha

what do you mean??
is it harder in general maths in year 12?

mugzy07

HSC
hmm not so much 'harder' just some concepts that u have to learn in a very short time that you haven't learnt in previous years.

and i guess you cant really 'coast' along as i did in the prelim year and get 85-90s because you really have to know your shit and especially the applicationg of your maths to problems given, the hardest part I would say about general maths is doing that.

anyone can remember formulas and shit, however the basterds at the BOS always like to throw in tricky and confusing questions so just be careful when you apply your maths to the given questions.

kailajian

HSC
ohk
cos im in 2Unit atm, but i dont know whether to drop it or not.

have you completed the hsc or you doin it now?
how was your trials?

kailajian

HSC
BoyNextDoor said:
Other people that have dropped from 2 Unit weren't that lucky though.

ughhh dont say that!
i dropped it :/
hopefully i'll smash them in it!

User-Dependent

HSC
kailajian said:
ughhh dont say that!
As long as you do the work, you should be fine. Two friends of mine in Year 12 at the moment dropped down to General at the end of the preliminary year. One doesn't do that much at all, and is ranked in the higher end of the top ten. One does less than not much at all... and is below rank twenty.

So, just make sure you don't do absolutely nothing, and it will be fine.

BoyNextDoor

HSC
kailajian said:
ughhh dont say that!
lol
Its cause 2 unit maths stuff is really different to the maths stuff in general. But I guess most of the ex 2 unit students are always ranked in the top 10 or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)