• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General maths with I.T? (MY FUTURE!!) (1 Viewer)

IC3

HSC
Hello

First of all I should say, I have no plans for my future, I dunno what to do, whether to go uni or not.
But I prefer if I actually made it into uni.

I would like to know are there any COMPUTER RELATED courses in uni that have a minimum maths requirement of GENERAL MATHS?
If so please state...

Only uni I want to attend are UTS, USYD, UNSW. Because they're like the most closest to me.

I'm not good in maths, actually when it comes to maths, I'm a complete dumbass.
Im in year 11 now, Im doing 2units maths. I'm finding it difficult and no way I can catch up to the work and pass my exams.

SO IM PLANNING TO DROP DOWN TO GENERAL MATHS!!!!!!!!
But I have this feeling inside me thats telling me its not a good idea.

Then again I can do a bridging course in uni, but the thing is when doing a bridging course in uni, is the work THE SAME AS WHAT IM DOING IN 2UNITS NOW?

I seriously need help PLZZZZZZ!!!

jyoukhana

jyoukhana
HSC
I did general maths in high school and passed every math course so far.

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
IC3 said:
Hello

First of all I should say, I have no plans for my future, I dunno what to do, whether to go uni or not.

I would like to know are there any COMPUTER RELATED courses in uni that have a minimum maths requirement of GENERAL MATHS?
If so please state...

Only uni I want to attend are UTS, USYD, UNSW. Because they're like the most closest to me.

Im in year 11 now, Im doing 2units maths. I'm finding it difficult and no way I can catch up to the work and pass my exams.

Then again I can do a bridging course in uni, but the thing is when doing a bridging course in uni, is the work THE SAME AS WHAT IM DOING IN 2UNITS NOW?

Well it depends on what kind of IT u want to do. Like the computing side has maths in the first year and my friends who did general math at school found it hard and one of them failed the other one just got a PC (45/100).
On the other hand the business side is better, you only do statistics which is fairly easy, especially if youve done 2-3unit like i had.
But dont worry about it now, just get into uni and then u can worry about it.

Somebody2005

HSC
N/A
I would suggest you do computing at UTS. I' m currently at UTS, and although there is a suggested requirement of 3 units maths, unlike all the other unis (UNSW and USYD) there is no maths subjects to be completed. I know plenty of people doing the BScit course (Bachelor of Science in IT) that are horrible at maths.

Many doing the course are just like in your position who have only done general maths and have done very well in the subjects as part of the degree. As suggested above it only suggested to have 3U and you can still do BScit with general maths as they don't check.

The only maths you really need to know is basic addition and subtraction.

I guess many uni want you to be good at maths because the thinking behind it is if you're good at maths then you would be good at logical thinking required for things like programming. I would have to disagree though. That why I chose to go to UTS, my thoughts are "why should I have to do maths subjects in an IT degree?"

Good luck on your choice of uni!

Last edited:

loser101

HSC
IC3 said:
Hello

If so please state...

honsetly if you cant do 2unit maths then a science degree at university isnt for you.

i agree with the above person who said try get into UTS computing course. though they have less maths, it still reqiuires u to be competant at mathematics.

if you suck at 2unit maths, and you know you are of decent mental ability, then its probably because your teacher is not teaching you properly, because 2u maths and even 3u maths is a bloody ezy!!!! honestly 2unit maths is the easiest subject going around. always saddens me when people cant do 2unit maths.

all it is is a bit of differentiation,integration and geometry.

no i am not a maths genius i have problems adding up 15 and 27, or doing simple division.

and doing 4unit maths is basically going to guarantee you gettin a UAI of 90+ so long as u can do another subjext where u can get 90+ in.

i suggest u get a decent tutor.

definitly dont goto UNSW for computing if you hate Maths, as the Math 1a is pretty hard for anyone not done at least 2unit maths. It basically builds upon 3unit and even some 4unit maths. I would rate it as harder than 4unit maths.

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
IC3 said:
No, as far as I know they all assume 3u.

IC3 said:
No, its for people who don't meet the minimum (ie, 3u maths) and its a crash course to get you up to speed.

Somebody2005 said:
"why should I have to do maths subjects in an IT degree?"
Because most things in engineering and science have a mathematical background that requires some competence in maths to explain/understand/prove. It really depends what kind of "IT" you're talking about. If we're talking about a software engineer writing documentation then no, but if we're talking about a computer scientist or an engineer then designing algorithms or circuits would need a strong maths background. Addition and subtraction just doesn't quite cut it here..

loser101 said:
and doing 4unit maths is basically going to guarantee you gettin a UAI of 90+ so long as u can do another subjext where u can get 90+ in.
I wouldn't count on it. Coming last in the state in 4u maths, or getting awarded a non-serious attempt or <30 for 4u because you bomb out so badly won't mean you'll get a 90+ UAI. Its just a general conception doing 4u maths will get you 90+ UAI because generally speaking people who do 4u maths are capable of it and are at least half talented in doing maths.

loser101 said:
I would rate it as harder than 4unit maths.
I would be worried if the maths being taught at uni is easier than whats in high school.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
You mentioned software engineering and documentation, what do they do exactly? Is it like computer science?

sunny

meh.
HSC

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
hmm looks good, our uni has software engineerin as a major in comp sci so its majorly coding which i hate but unsw soft eng looks pretty interesting.

loser101

HSC
sunny said:
No, as far as I know they all assume 3u.

No, its for people who don't meet the minimum (ie, 3u maths) and its a crash course to get you up to speed.

Because most things in engineering and science have a mathematical background that requires some competence in maths to explain/understand/prove. It really depends what kind of "IT" you're talking about. If we're talking about a software engineer writing documentation then no, but if we're talking about a computer scientist or an engineer then designing algorithms or circuits would need a strong maths background. Addition and subtraction just doesn't quite cut it here..

I wouldn't count on it. Coming last in the state in 4u maths, or getting awarded a non-serious attempt or <30 for 4u because you bomb out so badly won't mean you'll get a 90+ UAI. Its just a general conception doing 4u maths will get you 90+ UAI because generally speaking people who do 4u maths are capable of it and are at least half talented in doing maths.

I would be worried if the maths being taught at uni is easier than whats in high school.
i would say at least 65% of the 4u maths students get a grade of 90+ in 4u maths because of the scaling.

i've seen some peoples 4u maths results even if you are in the lowest 40 percentile in 4u maths you get scaled to 90.

the lowest mark i have heard of in 4u maths is around 70??

because its all relative to the lower level maths results.

so even someone only getting say 50% mark in 4unit maths they recognise that person would of gotten at least 90+ in 2U maths.

really u only do 4u maths if you can get at least 90% in 2u maths and at least 85% is 3u maths. otherwise yes u r going to bomb out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)