GENERAL Q on HSC results (1 Viewer)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
hey guys sorry if this has been asked before, or if its a stupid questions in your opinion, but i dont understand what we actually received as our marks on the 17/18th Dec.

like whats this aligned marks people are talking about?
also does scaling affect your raw mark and/or bands

much appreciated if someone can go through it for me
thanks in advance

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Basically on the 17th you will recieve you hsc mark, as is my understanding this is the scaled mark...in other word they take your raw hsc mark and scale/align it accoring to your school rank/state wide and then you get that final mark...and the 18th is your uai.

HSC
The day before the UAI is released we get HSC marks, which is the average of your internal mark and external mark. Best to not confuse or worry yourself over scaling, but if you're really keen to know just use the search function and there's some good topics.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
so for example if i get 91 as a raw mark in biology, and i didnt do so well at school averaging around 80-85 for exams....will this mean my hsc raw mark will be lowered?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
dion7789 said:
Basically on the 17th you will recieve you hsc mark, as is my understanding this is the aligned mark...in other word they take your raw hsc mark and align it accoring to your school rank/state wide and then you get that final mark...and the 18th is your uai.
Fixed*

Scaling occurs in the process that converts the marks you get on the 17th to your UAI. You never find out your scaled marks

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
imqt said:
so for example if i get 91 as a raw mark in biology, and i didnt do so well at school averaging around 80-85 for exams....will this mean my hsc raw mark will be lowered?
Your school average will not affect your raw mark.

A raw mark of 91 is likely to be brought up in the process of alignment (someone correct me if they have evidence to suggest otherwise).

However if you have a poor rank (note rank NOT mark), your assesment mark may be lower than your aligned HSC mark, bringing down your overall average of biology.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
midifile said:
Your school average will not affect your raw mark.

A raw mark of 91 is likely to be brought up in the process of alignment (someone correct me if they have evidence to suggest otherwise).

However if you have a poor rank (note rank NOT mark), your assesment mark may be lower than your aligned HSC mark, bringing down your overall average of biology.

hey thanks that makes sense
ive got 7th rank for bio, i was just worried that this would mean i could not get a band 6 if internals affect raw hsc marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)