General Questions about Uni + NEED HELP WITH ENROLMENT PSYCH1001 (1 Viewer)

Lou-chin08

HSC
N/A
Hey Everyone,

I just need some help and some questions answered from those who are enrolled into PSYC1001 (Psychology 1A)

1. Are the textbooks for Psychology 1A different from Psychology 1B?

2. Who is enrolled on the Tutorial, Friday 11am-12pm??
Cos like due to clashes, UNSW emailed me saying that they will organise so that this Tute will be open for me to enrol... They also told me that hardly anyone is enrolled into the Tute's time slot, but when I checked the handbook as well the my.unsw site, it says its full... And I received that email from UNSW a few days ago =S

3. Are the recommended textbooks useful? (For all subjects across the board) Cos like I don't want to waste money on the textbooks I would hardly use... Also will recommended textbooks differ from Semester 1 and 2?

4. (For 2nd year and above students - and I guess 1st years) Where did you buy your textbooks? From the UNSW Bookshop, UNSW 2nd hand Bookshop OR like Dymocks or something...?

5. Regarding Final Exams, is that both Sem 1 and 2 Content being tested or are there individual Final Exams at the end of each term??? o_O

Thanks. Hope you guys can help me =)

Lou-chin08

HSC
N/A
Btw, the Tutorial on Friday goes by the code 4088 (if that helps, in any way LOOOL)

HSC
1. Yes, same textbook for both 1A and 1B

2.If UNSW has emailed you and said they will make vacancies for you to enroll in that tutorial, then try and enroll in that tutorial again and see if it works.

3. No, recommended texts are not needed at all. As others have said on this forum, its best to ask around (e.g friends who have done the subject, lecturers, tutors) before purchasing a prescribed text, to see whether the textbook will be a worthwhile purchase. For example, the textbook for Psyc 1A and 1B was fairly useless for me. I admit, it did help clarify a few points made in the lectures, but other than that I hardly used it. Apparently, the mid-semester exam content was heavily drawn from the textbook. Here was the problem though. The lecture slides were usually heavily based off the textbook as well. So I only read the lecture slides and still managed to achieve a high mark for the midsem exams. But if you want to be safe, either borrow it off a friend or purchase it.

4. Got most of mine from the bookstore (cause I was lazy). However, sometimes, when I could find a better price elsewhere, I bought it there. Usually just typed in the ISBN number on google and searched for a lower price (e.g www.bookdepository.co.uk sometimes sells the textbooks for cheaper) or went on www.textbookexchange.com.au to find a secondhand textbook. By the way, you can check the details of your prescribed text and how much it will cost by typing in the course code (e.g PSYC1001) at http://www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au/textlist.html.

5. Individual final exams at the end of each semester.

Lou-chin08

HSC
N/A
1. Yes, same textbook for both 1A and 1B

2.If UNSW has emailed you and said they will make vacancies for you to enroll in that tutorial, then try and enroll in that tutorial again and see if it works.

3. No, recommended texts are not needed at all. As others have said on this forum, its best to ask around (e.g friends who have done the subject, lecturers, tutors) before purchasing a prescribed text, to see whether the textbook will be a worthwhile purchase. For example, the textbook for Psyc 1A and 1B was fairly useless for me. I admit, it did help clarify a few points made in the lectures, but other than that I hardly used it. Apparently, the mid-semester exam content was heavily drawn from the textbook. Here was the problem though. The lecture slides were usually heavily based off the textbook as well. So I only read the lecture slides and still managed to achieve a high mark for the midsem exams. But if you want to be safe, either borrow it off a friend or purchase it.

4. Got most of mine from the bookstore (cause I was lazy). However, sometimes, when I could find a better price elsewhere, I bought it there. Usually just typed in the ISBN number on google and searched for a lower price (e.g www.bookdepository.co.uk sometimes sells the textbooks for cheaper) or went on www.textbookexchange.com.au to find a secondhand textbook. By the way, you can check the details of your prescribed text and how much it will cost by typing in the course code (e.g PSYC1001) at http://www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au/textlist.html.

5. Individual final exams at the end of each semester.

WOW THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS!! =D

Tho, that particular Tute is still full and ive been waiting for some vacancies to show, but yeah... No luck =(

Any other responses and view from other people?? =)

Lou-chin08

HSC
N/A
BUMP.

Will anyone be willing to swap tutes and lecture time slots with me??=P

Kittikhun

HSC
If any of you guys need the textbook summary notes for PSYC1001 and PSYC1011, PM me as you can't attach MS word files on this site for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)