General Thoughts - Ancient History (1 Viewer)

blake13

HSC
can i just say, anyone who thinks they're gonna get in the 90s after leaving the exam after an hour, you are kidding yourself something mega!!! i still can't even comprehend how you would even think of getting even a pass for leaving the exam once an hour is up. if anything u've just screwed yourself over!!!! there are so many cocky people on this site its embarrassing.

Last edited:

blake13

HSC
I hate to burst ya bubble stewmazza but there's absolutely no way ur getting in the 90s after leaving the exam once an hour was up. i'd be surprised even if u passed!!!

Last edited:

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
yes.
Mr private school loser. you are a wanker.
i know a lot of private school kids that are awesome.
you mate are a loser.

And i didnt mean to offend and sorry 'ill pull that pole out of my ass'
about the extra paper.
i know u dont need to use extra paper to get full marks.
but if u write big like me, you do.
cos one page is like 2 paragraphs otherwise.
it all depends on peoples writing etc.

And teachers wise.
there are some bloody good teachers at public and private schools.
as long as your happy with you mark. their teaching and everything
then thats all that matters.

And again.
the leaving an hour into the exam and expected a high band 6.
is bullshit.
make sure u post your mark hey?
id love to see that high band 6 after leaving an hour.
i will quite happily take back that.

Anyway.
All that matters is if ur happy with ur marks =]

Liat89

HSC
I thought Ancient History was alright. There wasn't anything to unexpected. My class does Minoans, Julius Caesar & Fall of the Roman Republic 78-31. The only wierd one was the second option for Fall of Roman Republic which was just 'Why did the Roman republic fall?' It didn't ask to assess or evaluate, just asked why did it fall? It seemed to easy though so I didthe first option which was to assess Pompey's military and political successes, or something like that.

Liat :)

joey...

HSC

Could not have asked for a betta exam!!!
Luckily they didn't ask anything I had forgotten... ancient is such a huge course! Took me full time though...I agree with ppl who say 1hr into the exam wont get a band 6!!! I'm always writing to the last second...anyone else?
Hopefully a high 90s...I'm pretty confident with this one- my best exam yet.

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
joey... said:

Could not have asked for a betta exam!!!
Luckily they didn't ask anything I had forgotten... ancient is such a huge course! Took me full time though...I agree with ppl who say 1hr into the exam wont get a band 6!!! I'm always writing to the last second...anyone else?
Hopefully a high 90s...I'm pretty confident with this one- my best exam yet.
Yup.
Writing until the last second in every exam.
except chem and bio...
they always have way to much time.
Hoping for a high band 6 too for this exam =]

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
navelj said:
This has got to be one of the best ancient history exams so far - by far easier than the trial. I did the following:

Pompeii & Herc >> so easy - wrote the space given + 3 pages for Q2 and + 5 pages for Q3(PS: i went on a trip to Italy for Ancient History this year!)

ANYONE WHO LEFT EARLY IS STUPID >> USE EVERY SECOND!!!
I went to Italy too with school.
At the end of year 11 for 2 weeks.
best freaking trip of my whole life!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=]
So moving to Rome after Uni =]

HistoryQueen

HSC
just wondering if ppl constantly integrated historiography into their essays for period and personality.

theodore223

God's reincarnate
HSC
Better than expected. P and H was predictable, especially the 10 mark response. Sparta was good except for the religious festivals.
Xerxes wasnt to bad. The Greece 25 mark essay, part a seemed weird at first, but given 5 mins thinking wasnt to bad. hoping for 70 +

Samwise89

HSC
darrynXtreem said:
On the subject of blow arses, I did Pompeii (as most of us did), Part 2 Sparta (4 pages), Part 3 Caesar (6 pages) and Part 4 Naval (4.5 pages).

The exam questions suited my prepared answers perfectly and I used my memorized essay almost word-for-word. We pay top dollar at my school for the only the cream de la creme of teachers. My teacher has been marking Ancient History for 13 years and she says my essays are right up there with the top of Band 6.

Now for Extension History!
What the hell mate? I go to a public school, and we don't pay hundreds of dollars to get an education, but even still, we get a damn good one!! We have two senior markers in our History faculty alone, and one of them is even reviewing the syllabus for the BoS for History Extension next year! You think that your school has the "creme della creme" of teachers? Well how about you get off your high horse and stop thinking that your the shit coz you finished the exam in just over an hour. I also get Band 6 responses for my essays, and I would never dare to leave the exam before the 3 hours is up. You may pay "top dollar" to get what you think is the best education in the state, but really, you are just a spoilt brat who is paying for his marks.
And i did a practice essay for Pompeii, and wrote only in the lined spaces, and got full marks. So it is possible.
Rant over =]

ed m

HSC
I just thought it neccesary to post a rubuttal to the viewpoint of most that Ancient was sinch. i did julio claudians and the qns were sh#t. The first question about Tiberius, sure theres alot bout him, but for us more intelligent students it became obvious that he actually didn't have a great deal of 'achievements', and to assess the other way was to say he wes a bad emperor, which he wasn't. The second qn was just hard!

Also i don't know why everyone is thanking bored of studies, more like thanks for making me waste time on the 95% of course content that wasn't covered! i mean how many times can you repeat burial customs in Mycenaen society in 7 hscs?? I think that was the forth time it came up.

But Cleopatra was easy. I would only prefer if there was some sort of desciminant for tha 15 marker that was open slather to the max!

Oh and can everyone stop saying they'll get a band 6. Thats only reserved for bout 10% of us....

~kiki

HSC
navelj said:
This has got to be one of the best ancient history exams so far - by far easier than the trial. I did the following:

Pompeii & Herc >> so easy - wrote the space given + 3 pages for Q2 and + 5 pages for Q3(PS: i went on a trip to Italy for Ancient History this year!)

Sparta >> pretty easy, a little unsure if i answered the army question properly = 10 pages.

Agrippina the Younger >> exactly what i studied, probably wrote more for the first question than the second - may lose a few marks for that = 13 pages

Julio-Claudians >> best question was the first one - a bit broad, so i included a lot of historiographical quotes and perspectives on Tiberius' failures and achievements "Assess" >> 15.5 pages >> anyone who did the succession question was committing suicide >> you'd have to be a historian to know quotes for that one or you just told the story.

Overall a great exam >> AIMING for 90+ ( it would be great if i got a position in the state rankings...but i'm probably over estimating) anyways

ANYONE WHO LEFT EARLY IS STUPID >> USE EVERY SECOND!!!
to be honest I think you wrote an excessive amount. They did ask a specific question. I mean, I guess, if its relevant and such/ if you have time it may be worth it. But then again-- the pompeii and herc questions have an allocated amount of space for a reason. Most people would be able to get their marks within the space provided. 4 marks, 4 things... 10 marks... 10 things or 5 things in depth...

jeannaner

HSC
the best test ever considering i studid my heart out! i did pompeii, sparta, hatshepsut and nke thut IV .... hoping for a band six!!!!!

jeannaner

HSC
HistoryQueen said:
just wondering if ppl constantly integrated historiography into their essays for period and personality.

yeh i did...constantly throughout both sections i mean its needed its the core of the marking criteria...

jeannaner

HSC
simonelye said:
Yup.
Writing until the last second in every exam.
except chem and bio...
they always have way to much time.
Hoping for a high band 6 too for this exam =]
yea i was so writing till the very last second...i mean i needed it! its true history is sooo long n u'd be crazy to leave before the 3 hours are up!!

jeannaner

HSC
blake13 said:
can i just say, anyone who thinks they're gonna get in the 90s after leaving the exam after an hour, you are kidding yourself something mega!!! i still can't even comprehend how you would even think of getting even a pass for leaving the exam once an hour is up. if anything u've just screwed yourself over!!!! there are so many cocky people on this site its embarrassing.

OH MY GOS SOOO TRUE..... THATS A LOAD OF SHIT IF U THINK UR GONNA GET ANYWHERE WITH SITTING IN AN EXAM FOR A BLOODY HOUR...U GOTTA BE PSYCHO OR ABNORMAL OR SOMETHING...IT TOOK ME THE WHOLE FREAKING THREE HOURS AND MANY WEEKS OF STUDY PRIOR!!!!:rofl:

~kiki

HSC
Floydy said:
Was really nervous, I didn't have much revision time because of my exam
timetable.

For me all sections were quite easy, especially Hatshepsut as both questions were almost identical to our assignment on that topic. I'd say almost everyone finished early at my school. I know I was looking good for time straight from the start, but chose to use that extra time to put more into the essay response.

Only disappointment was I didn't get to use much of my good essay on the Delian league (Greek period 500-440) because the question was quite abstract. However, I'd written that question down in my book as the teachers wrote it on the board (makes me think she made that question.. she said she didn't) so I was quite surprised it showed up, but pleased nevertheless eheh. So basically my school set us up really well, having picked 2 questions almost word for word ha ha.

Hope same things happens for english extension tomorrow..
I'm thinking you're from my school :p... Tom?...

Actually, I didn't finish the last question on pomp and herc. I was pretty bummed about that. I thought I had 5 minutes-- in fact I was looking at the clock on the wall and watching my time . Picked up my pen to finish the question and he said times up :/.... I was kicking myself about the delian league question. I noticed a pattern in the questions from past years and I KNEW it was going to be personalities. Instead, I spent ages trying to understand the events in the "transformation from league to empire" which weren't even needed!!! ><... and then had hardly any time to study Cimon's role.

Crholic

HSC
samuel slack said:
Lol. What bs. You cannot do an hour of work and get band 6. quote]

I AGREE ABOUT THE TIME THING...BECAUSE IF THEY THOUGHT WE NEEDED ONE HOUR FOR THAT TEST THEY WOULD HAVE GIVEN US ONE HOUR but one hour is not the recommended time! anyhow... overall it was so easy i feel so wierd becuase ah test are usually challenging but this one was simple i sorta wanted to get more tough questions to really test myself...AHAH AM I CRAZY? oh well its done

p.s i just read that somone wrote 8 BOOKLETS of an answer....is it me or having pages and pages will not guarantee a high mark, wouldnt the marker get annoyed im Curious...

HSC
jeannaner said:
yea i was so writing till the very last second...i mean i needed it! its true history is sooo long n u'd be crazy to leave before the 3 hours are up!!
Half the stdents left before the three hours was left i couldnt believe it. I had to use every moment as well.

How much you guys write?

Crholic

HSC
~kiki said:
nstead, I spent ages trying to understand the events in the "transformation from league to empire" which weren't even needed!!! ><... and then had hardly any time to study Cimon's role.
i wish we got a question on the delian league transformation!!!! i spent days trying to understand the development and now i do but i didnt get to use it...luckily i knew about the naval battles!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)