General Thoughts: Ancient History (1 Viewer)

tahliadeep

HSC
How much do you think you would be penalised for saying something wrong just briefly?
For example in Sparta I had a bit of an exam stuff up and said in one sentence that Spartiates were able to sell land, which is not correct - however I didn't elaborate any further on the point (it was literally one sentence saying 'Spartiates could sell their land'). Am I still able to achieve full marks in that question despite making a simple error?

Thought Pompeii was pretty good, slaves was a bit obscure to expand on but it wasn't too difficult.
Sparta was pretty nice overall.
I really liked Hatshepsut - thank god I prepared those responses.
NKE to death of Thutmose IV was quite nice too - wish I could have elaborated more on my essay on royal women but I think it was alright in the end.

Hope everyone went well :)
you wont get penalised - if the markers read something wrong they just have to ignore it, you only lose marks if you dont have the information there :)

grizzlybear

HSC
Mr widdle grizzlybear has been at it all day!

Havn't you Mr grizzly? Yes you have, yes you haveeeee. Naw.
its not "Mr Grizzly," thats my first name. A bit of respect, im just expressing my thoughts on todays paper which was absolutely fabulous and i think ill get a band 6 definitely and i think the cut off will be about 87, so if you dont get over that... id consider TAFE

maddsr

HSC
Uni Grad
I had the exact same thoughts on these, except Xerxes a) was pretty difficult, didn't prepare well for it.
It was pretty decent and fair imo.

Pompeii and Herculaneum - good but had to bs about slaves..
Sparta - Tyrtaeus wasn't necessary..
Xerxes - a) was good b) was not too bad.
Greek World 500-440BC - excellent. ;)

mctwinkles

HSC
I thought the Pompeii stuff was pretty good, there were two multiple choice that threw me but that was alright.
The first short question about how the Pompeii peeps died was annoying and I thought kind of pointless but it was pretty easy.
And the question about reconstructing was good.

The Sparta stuff was ok, it could have been harder, but I don't by any means think it was fantastic. The slaves question left me WTF-ing and the Tyrtaeus question I didn't get but that's because I was lay when I studied. I was really disappointed that the ephors was only a 1 mark question.

Hannibal questions - KILL. ME. NOW. The first one about after Cannae was an alright question but once again I was lazy and so my answer didn't have anywhere near enough detail. But I thought the 15 mark was really god and pretty easy because I got to talk about Polybius and Livy and awesome people.

The Rome essay questions :/ I did the first one, with the Polybius quote, about WHY Rome wanted to continue expanding after the SPW. It would have been way better if it was HOW they expanded or something but it wasn't terrible. And the alternate question I don't have an opinion of because I can't remember what it was because I didn't do it.

All in all, it could have been worse, I was expecting it to be much worse than it was, but there were parts that were still a bit difficult.

EvansOne

HSC
N/A
Is the band 5 cut off really usually around 65? If so then I fell MUCH better about this. I was expecting low-mid 70's..

S1MZ8

HSC
Anyone know what those pots were in source C for Pomp/Herc? Was it for flour or oil?

Poops

HSC
lol so much bs for slaves haha! nice exam ^______^

Ryan_T90

HSC
Pompeii and Herculaneum was good. I was annoyed with the 10 marker because it was the one thing I didn't want them to ask about, but I still got enough down for a decent mark.

Minoan Society was pretty good. 15 markers for part D, very surprised.

Hatshepsut was pretty good too. Part A was the exact same question I did in my trial so I had no problems. Part B I did kind of bullshit my way through, hoping for anything over 8 really lol.

NKE to the Death of Thutmose IV was also pretty good. They asked about the royal women and again in my trials I was examined on the queens.

Overall, a good paper.

trevorli

HSC
Anyone do Pericles as the personality?
If so, what did you guys write about the modern sources etc.

So-joo

HSC
Even though I came first in trials, I managed to fuck up this exam because my brain decided to have a mental blank and not remember any important information sigh.

Bullshitted through Pompeii, especially with slaves and guessing the right terms for multiple choice.
Periclean Athens was shit, didn't focus any of my attention on learning about the buildings nor the education system... they chose such small dot points to write about, I don't even. Didn't finish this section.
Hatshepsut, even I got the exact same questions in trials (which I aced) still managed to fuck up because I couldn't remember my sources nor could I remember information about how she rose to the throne... Didn't finish this section either.
Same with New Kingdom Egypt. Couldn't remember sources or information, uneven paragraphs for each queen, but at least I finished.

tl;dr: I hate myself and my brain is too small.

Ceaser95

HSC
Awesome exam!
multiple choice was okay... but ucked up the one that was flour
sparta was pretty good
tiberius gracchus was hectic.. the easiest questions ever
political revolution of Rome... got so lucky hoping for a sulla question coz i hadnt studied marius at all and i got sulla
SO MUCH WIN
2 exams to go then off to play HALO 4

tamarajayne94

HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone put up the paper? Or at least tell me the questions for P&H, Sparta, Hatshepsut and Greek World 500-440BC?
P&H- contribution of slaves, reconstruction methods of archaeologists
Sparta- ephors (1 mark), Tyrteaus (4 marks), Gods and religious festivals (15 marks) and i cant remember the other one

brodiew87

HSC
Pompeii - Pretty good, confident
Sparta - Tyrtaeus - looked at him once, forgot everything, ended up writing nothing but bs, everything smashed
Agrippina - Ended up writing 9 pages of her relationship with Nero which was simple, and her changing interpretation was relatively easy
Augustus - Absolutely annihilated the question about Augustus bringing peace and prosperity to Rome, leading them into the 'Golden Age'

All in all, fairly happy, nice to finish Ancient on a good note.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)