General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

1981Grant

HSC
wasnt chloroquine an antibiotic made for maleria?
Cholorquine was the drug used to treat the plasmodium in malaria. Unfortunately malaria is a protozoan which cannot be treated by antibiotics as antibiotics only work on bacterial pathogens.

damo_g

HSC
Re: 2011 HSC Biology Paper

The data did not include the ambient temperature or the actual 'internal' temp of the lizard so the conclusion is not justified. (something extra onto that, can't remember)

I also said 1 was a thermometer probe and the other was the data logger.
I did the same except i wrote data processor. Processor and logger the same thing or no?

I didn't write anything about it not containing the actuall ambient temperature because it said hot, dry desert environment. (i'm shit at bio though, don't like it). I can't remember my full answer to the next bit but it was something to do with internal conditions as well as other stuff.

1981Grant

HSC
What was the answer to the increasing sized pathogens? That totally threw me.
I cant remember the letter but it started with prion, virus, ..., macroparasite.

I think the letter was C, can't remember though.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
What did everyone get for the fossil evidence and punctuated equilibrium ?for MC

itop1st

HSC
it is harder paper than 2009 and 2010 particularly, but multiple choice got >15! wohoooooo
even my teacher said it was horrible paper

bigbirdbanana

HSC
Re: 2011 HSC Biology Paper

3) should be B imo
Yeah that's what i got. I also did c for 4 and d for 8 (what's the difference between killer and cytotoxic? i thought they were the same :S). Urgh.

And i had no idea that 'data logger' was the name of that thing, we've never even used one before at my school! I just said a data graph converter haha.

7 marker for Communications was awful because it had to be on the ONLY lesson I missed in the entire year! I read over someone else's notes on it but when i was talking to people after i found out that those notes were wrong, at least for the hearing aid. So annoyed!

maryjill

HSC
ANYONE- What did you say when it asked about why the scientists were wrong about body temp being purely controlled by the ambient temp?... the reptile question

D4ni3l

HSC
ah crap. I wrote that it was incomplete -.- I was about to write that. I'm going to faillll
The answer is A... The fossil record only supports the theory of punctuated equilibrium because there are GAPS. Therefore, it HAS to be A. :)

HSC
the desert lizards? For that i said that if the ambient temp were the only determining factor, then all the desert lizards would have the same temperature so there would have been no need to take the average.

natebrah1

HSC
ANYONE- What did you say when it asked about why the scientists were wrong about body temp being purely controlled by the ambient temp?... the reptile question
I wrote that it was only testing the skin temp? and not internal body temp... and the fact it was in the cage so any behavioural adaptations in regulating temp could not be used and therefore why the statement was not true

1981Grant

HSC
For that question I talked about how:
-They hadn't included the ambient temperature in their data thus they could not hypothesise any conclusions referencing this relationship.
-The lizards were relatively immobilised in their cages and wouldn't be able to generate heat by movement.
-Although the study was repeated it wasn't tested in a range of environments so it cannot be conclusive.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Guys if everyone thought that it was pretty much straight forward after the multiple choice, What did everyone say object Y was? I had been through the whole syllabus and I pretty much had everything covered yet I had no clue what this thing was meant to be, I assume X was a thermometer.
X - thermal Probe
Y - data logger
Skills section

jellybeans4me

HSC
lol i hated that question. i talked about how it cant be for the body temperature because the probe was resting on the skin of the reptile which might heatup indifferently to the rest of the body, so what they said was not accurate...something like that

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
For that question I talked about how:
-They hadn't included the ambient temperature in their data thus they could not hypothesise any conclusions referencing this relationship.
-The lizards were relatively immobilised in their cages and wouldn't be able to generate heat by movement.
-Although the study was repeated it wasn't tested in a range of environments so it cannot be conclusive.
I said the first two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)