General Thoughts - Chemistry (1 Viewer)

alcheikh

HSC
champo14 said:
Haha, nice one. Did you mean the Haber process one?

I thought the exam was pretty good, and I got most of the calculations.

Did everyone multiply by 2 in the Sulfuric acid one? (Because it's diprotic)
yeh i also x by 2 lucky aye :) it was a good exam but the sum calculations were hard and i personally ran outa time :(

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
anniea89 said:
Yep. I did wood (but I said it wasn't metal) Iron and steel.

Why did they ahve question on car batteries? We did nothing on car batteries!!!
But it's 'on the choice of metals'.
As for batteries the question aims to assess your understanding of oxidation-reduction reactions and obviously a car battery does undergo one.

EDIT:
Yes I multiplied by 2 for the diprotic nature of sulfuric acid. Then got confused with the dilution one. I either got 3mL or 6mL.

alcheikh

HSC
joshuajspence said:
yeah we just had to draw the structural formula in the box aye?

yeh that was the best question lol :) i just drew the structural formula in the box

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Thank God I got K right, there's at least one thing in Industrial Chem I did right. I had to completey BS the mercury, diaphragm and membrane process bit. I think I might have done ok actually but definitely not six marks worth. The saponification question didn't really require any knowledge I thought. I had absolutely no idea what prac we'd done so I had to make something up, there's six marks gone.

Overall I don't think I did too brilliantly at all. :(

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
But it's 'on the choice of metals'.
As for batteries the question aims to assess your understanding of oxidation-reduction reactions and obviously a car battery does undergo one.

EDIT:
Yes I multiplied by 2 for the diprotic nature of sulfuric acid. Then got confused with the dilution one. I either got 3mL or 6mL.
Yeah I did that for sulfuric too. The questions after that confused me though. A lot. I ended up saying add 20mL of NaOH because somehow I ended up with that number and I was not going to get anything else so I decided to at least write something down. Can't remember what I put for the middle question.

I also completely screwed the question with the four bottles of solution. Oh man.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Fish Sauce said:
Yeah I did that for sulfuric too. The questions after that confused me though. A lot. I ended up saying add 20mL of NaOH because somehow I ended up with that number and I was not going to get anything else so I decided to at least write something down. Can't remember what I put for the middle question.

I also completely screwed the question with the four bottles of solution. Oh man.
Not dilution I mean neutralisation.
I screwed up the four bottles question, I should NOT have crossed out my 'correct' answer.

We'll just have to wait until December 19, the release of the marking centre notes or the release of the SuccessOne Chemistry 2008 edition.

amyg238

HSC
I didnt think it was too bad, had 10 minutes left to go back and check.
I checked over my multiple choice, changed almost all of them..errr

I did Chemistry of Art section, wasnt too bad. One question stumped me though, like the big marker... I bullshitted that real bad. Haha I wrote more for the 4 marker than the 7 marker. Oh well.

Well I didnt start studying for chem until Tuesday morning, where I studied at least, I'm sure 13 hours of chemistry with a break for lunch and dinner. Haha, crazy.

I hope I do well.

Mr-X

HSC
A mystery mark for me in chemistry :)
I left the exam room after 2 hours. I wrote something for every question except for the ones which required you to use maths to work things out (except for one of the pH questions...i got 2 for that). Multiple choice I think the only question I was very confident for was the first one.....ethanol right???!!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
twilight1412 said:
alot easier than last years i must say =)
and yes the first answer was ethanol =)
I agree with the first part.
I kept asking people at school and MSN, "Who didn't select Ethanol as their renewable resource ?"

Also, when they handed the exam papers to us before reading time, I could see through the first page and saw the first question, from then on I knew it was an easy exam.
Thanks BOS for thin and almost transparent papers, they look like someone's white T-shirt after they've been drenched, saturated, soaked and bombarded by water bombs :D.

blackbetty69

HSC
i know there was a few people angry about the battery question. cuz the syllabus says you either have to know lead acid OR dry cell and one other of your choosing.

that said, the question was hardly rocket science, its not like you had to know any equations. the second part was easy as well. why is it good that it last several years? environmental reasons and reliability of cars (i.e you won't get stuck out bush given that it operates the startermotor)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
blackbetty69 said:
i know there was a few people angry about the battery question. cuz the syllabus says you either have to know lead acid OR dry cell and one other of your choosing.

that said, the question was hardly rocket science, its not like you had to know any equations. the second part was easy as well. why is it good that it last several years? environmental reasons and reliability of cars (i.e you won't get stuck out bush given that it operates the startermotor)
Yeah I was a little annoyed at that but I think I got the equation right and I said convenience and reliability for the second part (plus one word about the environment just in case). The second part was common sense really. The first part took me a little while but is the equation:

PbO2 + Pb + 2H2SO4 ----> 2PbSO4 + 2H20

It took me ages because I neglected to copy the two for the oxygen in PbO2 and so I couldn't make it balance :p

anniea89

HSC
Shitwrecks: I realise that but it was referring to the shanges in the construction of vessels over time. And wood was the first material used.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
They didn't ask for wood.

EDIT:

Also Graphite is inert, it better be.
Graphite is indeed inert.

The question on the changing construction on ships was so fucking bad (due to factors in the aquatic environment? Stupidest question ever). I just spoke about stuff we use now (brass, aluminium, steel, sacrificial anodes). But when I think about it, are they talking about the earliest uses of metal in ships? e.g. "Vikings nailed overlapping iron shingles to cover oak planks".

dietjelly

HSC
hey everyone, thought chemistry was far more difficult than last year
was so prepared so it was a little disappointing

bmwz4

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Any shitwreckers here ?

I mentioned copper, cathodic protection and stainless steel as part of my response to the 6-mark question.

EDIT:

My chemist is a forensic chemist who analyses evidence from a crime scene (blood, semen ...) and deduces information from it. He will use analytical chemistry and use chemical principles such as chromotography to separate substances of similar chemical and physical properties and electrophoresis as biological molecules are charged and can be migrated in an electric field.

I did not name mine because it didn't ask for a name probably and I didn't have one in the first place.
shipwrecks!
erm i wrote about cathiodic protection and galvanising...structure of steel...the types of environments including sulfate reducing bacteria, low oxygen and acidity...yer btw whats the purpose of using the graphite electrode i put so it doesnt interfere with the reaction and cause its inert...i dno? is that right...and the petri dish was C which resisted corrosion

bmwz4

HSC
anniea89 said:
Shitwrecks: I realise that but it was referring to the shanges in the construction of vessels over time. And wood was the first material used.
you had to mention that wooden vessels were firstly built with some sort of metal ie copper in nails...then due to the changing attitudes about the corrosion in the ocean they started to find other metals which corroded less..then i tlked about sulfate reducing bacteria and finally steel which is used today and the different types of steel i.e structural etc.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
bmwz4 said:
shipwrecks!
erm i wrote about cathiodic protection and galvanising...structure of steel...the types of environments including sulfate reducing bacteria, low oxygen and acidity...yer btw whats the purpose of using the graphite electrode i put so it doesnt interfere with the reaction and cause its inert...i dno? is that right...and the petri dish was C which resisted corrosion
The question focused more on improvements to prevent problems with corrosion not fix the problem with corrosions after it happened.
I wrote how graphite is inert and will not interfere with the reaction as opposed to an active electrode like copper.
Petri dish C resisted corrosion because there were no blue colours to indicate oxidation of iron which only ferricyanide will pick up, that's my justification.

bmwz4 said:
you had to mention that wooden vessels were firstly built with some sort of metal ie copper in nails...then due to the changing attitudes about the corrosion in the ocean they started to find other metals which corroded less..then i tlked about sulfate reducing bacteria and finally steel which is used today and the different types of steel i.e structural etc.
I wrote how limpets and barnacles don't like copper sheets on ships as my first point in the 6-marker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)