General thoughts: English Advanced Modules Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

jakewist

HSC
Woooo! It's over but wasnt as hard as i thought it'd be.

Mod A - I found the question a bit more tricky so i spent more time on it than usual :/ 9 Pages.
Mod B - Question was meh... didnt really prepare much for it. 8 pages.
Mod C - Question was pretty generic but and i bs'd my analysis the whole time... 8 pages.

Had around 2 minutes left.

Flop21

HSC
What were the questions for Gatsby and Hamlet? :)
Gatsby was about the treatment of individual desire and if it showed similarities or enhanced the distinctness of each text or something.

Hamlet was a statement that I cannot remember, it was a does your perspective reflect this statement question, the statement was something to do with Hamlet representing 'bleak world and unbalanced'

Last edited:

Thjv

HSC
What were the questions for Gatsby and Hamlet? :)
I think the Hamlet one was that the character of Hamlet exists in a bleak world, and balance is disrupted by disturbance

(I can't remember it word for word, but it basically wanted you to talk about Claudius' usurpation of the throne, and the subsequent disturbances that happen after that)

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Gatsby was about the treatment of passion and if it showed similarities or enhanced the distinctness of each text or something.

Hamlet was a statement that I cannot remember, it was a does your perspective reflect this statement question, the statement was something to do with Hamlet representing 'bleak world and unbalanced'
*Treatment of individual desire
*'a bleak portrait of the disturbed unbalanced world' or something like that

Natasha Romanoff

HSC
Am I the only one wondering what the heck that Module C "Representing People and Politics" question was??

For the Metropolis/1984 Mod A one I just assumed "social manipulation" meant control of a social group ie. population haha

Mr_Kap

HSC
Am I the only one wondering what the heck that Module C "Representing People and Politics" question was??

For the Metropolis/1984 Mod A one I just assumed "social manipulation" meant control of a social group ie. population haha
I assumed that social manipulation by totalitarian regimes led to class divisions (which dehuminised through the repression of individuality and freedom etc....), class struggles and whatever else was in my essay which i can't remember

PhysicsMaths

HSC

I think there was a specific word in the question that implied that you were supposed to talk about rebellion, not just control (I may be wrong, but that's how I interpreted the question)

Can't remember the exact quesiton though

PhysicsMaths

HSC

For the Metropolis/1984 Mod A one I just assumed "social manipulation" meant control of a social group ie. population haha[/QUT

The question spoke about something to do with similarities thou
Yeah, but the similarities and differences are sort of implied through the structure of your essay

Flop21

HSC
Wasn't mod c 'Political motivations are ambiguous, but the aim is always control' or something similar?

JAMLO

HSC
But you needed to say whether it was similar or different

Mr_Kap

HSC
I think there was a specific word in the question that implied that you were supposed to talk about rebellion, not just control (I may be wrong, but that's how I interpreted the question)

Can't remember the exact quesiton though
The question was like, "......... of social manipulations in 1984 and Metropolis, lead to similarities or distinctive..."

Mr_Kap

HSC
Wasn't mod c 'Political motivations are ambiguous, but the aim is always control' or something similar?
yeh..something like that. My wording was a bit off when i said it before.

Auden's poems were perfect for that. I talked about Spain, Epitaph on a Tyrant, and Shield of Achilles

atargainz

HSC
I assumed that social manipulation by totalitarian regimes led to class divisions (which dehuminised through the repression of individuality and freedom etc....), class struggles and whatever else was in my essay which i can't remember
pretty much what I wrote about haha, social division which leads to a regression of humanity. The similarity and differences part of the question should already be through any mod A essay lol "comparative" study

atargainz

HSC
I accomplished that by synthesising both Metropolis and 1984 into one big paragraph (contrasting their differing perspectives)
I essentially echoed and used examples to argue "differing contexts similar perspectives". I said social manipulation was prevalent in both texts, but the reasons for doing so were differing (more capitalistic view in metropolis and more totalitarian in 1984), however ultimately the adverse effects on the citizenry are similar in both texts as it causes the regression of human qualities.

Last edited:

IamKirby

HSC
I thought that because it said 'or' you had to argue one or the other...

Reading this and seeing everyone say it was easy is making me panic. Mod A was fairly simple, Mod B was generic but I didn't write much, and Mod C for Politics I didn't like plus I realise now I didn't exactly 'evaluate'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)