General Thoughts: English Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

Tink

HSC
9-10 pages for both essay and creative (ATB). Best extension exam I've had all year.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
So happy with the essay question and creative stimulus!!! It fit everything i prepared for and I managed to write everything with 10 minutes to spare!!! (I had about 3.1k words hahahahahah) I wrote about 4 booklets for essay and 3 for creative so altogether 18ish pages? So glad I never have to write that much ever again.

I do navigating to global :)

rach2896

HSC
N/A
I do the module language and values and the elective language and gender. The essay question was really broad which was good and creative fitted with my story perfectly. I hear not many people do this elective does that effect the way it's marked?

Alias

HSC
Navigating the Global here.

Blanked on the essay. Still managed to come up with 10.5 pages but think I watered my argument down a bit and 9 for creative. Really liked the creative stimulus as it worked perfectly into my story.

Not looking forward to essay portion of the marks though...

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
God this forum brings back the beautiful memories of EE1... One of the many exams I did not study for.

Hoping that the 2014ers did well :D

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Navigating the Global here.

Blanked on the essay. Still managed to come up with 10.5 pages but think I watered my argument down a bit and 9 for creative. Really liked the creative stimulus as it worked perfectly into my story.

Not looking forward to essay portion of the marks though...
"blanks on essay"

writes 10.5 pages

britaker

HSC
My hand writing is quite big! But i definitely would have hit 1500+ words for both. Have a wonderful 4 month holiday :)
Sounds good! I'm a slow writer so I kept both my essay and creative to between 1000-1100 (factoring in answering the question, addition of stimulus, etc.) words, unfortunately I finished early because of it! :lol: Adrenaline is a strange thing.

Thanks, wishing you an awesome holiday too. :D

russ3l

HSC
I love the way you've structured your essay. That will no doubt pay well in dividend! :)

And lol more like 47 raw for you!
Edited for a bit of elaboration. Romanticism here. So many of us in this thread.

The essay question was surprisingly straightforward, and therefore so was my essay. Not too many variables unlike past questions.

My paragraphs went Keats (Ode on a Grecian Urn) > Blake (Angel of the Revelation) > Shelley (Hymn to Intellectual Beauty) > Keats (La Belle + On the Sea) > Austen (Northanger Abbey).

My significant ideas, in that order, were obviously the pursuit of the ideal for the first one (intellectual: reconsider philosophical paradigms concerning reality/one's tangible existence; emotional: Keats' personal suffering); corrupt religious and political institutions for Blake and Shelley, but for Blake especially his defiance of neoclassical practice, which basically represented cold intellectualism, and then the imagination's adverse effect on Keats, i.e perpetually entrapped within the ideal, reminds readers of implacable desires + there was an intellectual experimentation of form prevalent in each text so that engages the reader's capacity for innovation/to transform their milieu by questioning convention/'authorities' whether these be literary...

On the Sea, more of the same stuff but with materialism, then Austen obv literary convention/trivialised Gothic novel/feminine oppression in Regency England (I'm sure the private schools who actually do Pride and Prej for Mod A would've done this better than me). Intellectual/emotional engagement was a bit iffy for the last paragraph, but I basically went intellectual = experimentation, pertinence of literature to human experience, "realism" and reason, and then emotional = ambition, imagination, and criticism etc. Lots of flowery, wordy shit.

The creative was a gift for my story in particular, though the specificity was initially surprising. Since the questions were pretty easy, I imagine that they'll be marked pretty harshly. Wrote from Mary Shelley's perspective, how listening to Coleridge recite Rime of the Ancient Mariner in Godwin's study made her contemplate who the 'mariners' and the 'albatrosses' (including herself) were in her life, so there was already guilt/hope/hopelessness worked in, just placed the apology neatly in the emotional climax.

Thoughts on whether they will mark harshly? I'm not expecting incredibly high raw.
Rich to you and your answer! I'm glad we had a similar line of argument, it somewhat affirms our accuracy haha :) Since we are rid of the exam I'm more than happy to share my scripts with you, as long as you share your scripts! Would love to read the analyses from others

As for the raw mark e4 cut off, it will probably remain unchanged because of 2 things (that I can think of): (1) While people on this thread found it relatively easy, others in the state may have struggled with the generalised essay question and specific creative writing prompt, thereby meaning some sort of equilibrium in the grand scheme of things? (2) The marking process will go in such a way that getting an e4 this year will be just as difficult/easy/moderate as getting an e4 in other years, basically meaning, if you wrote better than everyone else, you will perform higher overall

Bleh, why am I writing so much? I just finished the HSC...

dirty_ink

HSC
Crime Writing here.

I found the essay question pretty straight-forward and easy, and was actually satisfied with the end result. The creative on the other hand was rubbish. I don't even know why I was expecting something related to the rubric when past HSC papers have provided equally strange questions that made me wonder where they pulled that out from.

Anyway, it was overall alright. Mixed. Could've done better but oh wells - what's done is done.

Avalonkat

HSC
It was so much better than I was expecting!! :)

10 pages each, but my writing was massive hahahah

I'm so so happy that the creative question fit with the story I had prepared ^^ just mentioned an 'apology' in like one sentence, but whatever xD
The essay too wasn't too difficult :) Though I felt time pressed as I wasted like 10minutes in the beginning writing out points for my creative so I wouldn't forget :(

either way, feeling like I could've gotten a high 80/low 90 so woo! :D

If only I didn't have another exam aha :')

mlpd

HSC
I'm student as second language and I want to do extension english for year 11 so I don't know can I do that or not ???
Can some one help me please ??????
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)