General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

kaurnitasha

HSC
Re: English paper 1

Yea, the essay question was a bit retarded. In fact, the whole time thing is. Ohhh well...............

heyelsiemae

HSC
I did 2, 2, 3
same, i thought that was a good amount.

is anyone else in a state of paranoia that their atar is going to be 40 because of that stupid exam?

Comprehension - satisfactory - though didn't understand the 3rd text

Creative writing story - perfect, couldn't of been better - the boy in the tree was so easy to adapt to my story and with the time theme you just had to discuss how he got older and his attitudes changed

Essay - where can i vomit?

himynameisbrody

HSC
Fairly generic paper I thought, they didnt throw anything too crazy at us. Like everyone else though, time was the hardest thing to get around.
Did anyone else separate the paragraphs of their essay by contexts of belonging? e.g. personal, historical, social etc.?

nicole2460

HSC
N/A

i agree with the essay question.. it was meh
a bit too specific i reckon idk i still managed to write some stuff which i thought was good it was only my first paragraph that i don't think was convincing.

CJS 99

HSC
I thought the critical response was really good for Great Expectations, as it happened to fit my perfect prepared response like a dream!! I'm not sure about my creative though . . .

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
For my creative, I picked the picture of the man & woman standing on the grass.

However, in my creative I said it was a framed picture. I mentioned the picture at the beginning and end, and in the middle I had a flashback to that exact moment they were standing on the grass and explained it.

Can someone tell me if that was making it the central idea? Or would I just look like I bullshitted the whole thing and that it was not central at all?

cheepy5

HSC

Passage of time = how belonging can change over time

shongaponga

HSC

However, in my creative I said it was a framed picture. I mentioned the picture at the beginning and end, and in the middle I had a flashback to that exact moment they were standing on the grass and explained it.

Can someone tell me if that was making it the central idea? Or would I just look like I bullshitted the whole thing and that it was not central at all?
Holy shit, I did the exact same thing and structured same way haha

Keelan134

HSC

If you bring it up in the middle I think you'll be fine. Basically for time you just had to demonstrate a change in a sense of belonging, as belonging is transitory

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
If you bring it up in the middle I think you'll be fine. Basically for time you just had to demonstrate a change in a sense of belonging, as belonging is transitory
It revolved around an accident which killed his wife and left him paralysed.

Basically, at the start he was sad, by the end he was able to let go = transition.

Or so I hope

shongaponga

HSC
Normally around 64/100 (ie after Paper 1 is converted to out of 40) achieves a Band 5 & 78+/100 for Band 6. While this years paper was generic, if a lot of people had troubles I feel that may drop a couple of marks.

kayric

HSC
Comprehension was fucked, like, holy shit. I didn't get to finish part (e) because I spent way too long on the previous questions. I think I over-analysed and wrote way too much. I did this first, hence my time for the essay and creative was severely jeopardised. Managed to get an average response on paper for the essay, not my best but it'll do. However creative, I wouldn't even blame the markers if they threw that piece of crap straight in the fire. I have always struggled with paper one though, let's hope my bad luck is out of the way! Definitely agreeing with the people saying we should get two and a half hours.

Keelan134

HSC
It revolved around an accident which killed his wife and left him paralysed.

Basically, at the start he was sad, by the end he was able to let go = transition.

Or so I hope
Yeah if you only did beginning and end it looks as though you tailored a pre prepared response. Even though your whole story may make sense by the end because of the ending HSC markers are rushing and will be looking for sustained reference to the stimulus

Keelan134

HSC
Normally around 64/100 (ie after Paper 1 is converted to out of 40) achieves a Band 5 & 78+/100 for Band 6. While this years paper was generic, if a lot of people had troubles I feel that may drop a couple of marks.
That low? That seems so easy

madharris

HSC
N/A
I took 47 for short answers (a bit unexpected)
Soo I rushed the essay and ended up doing 37 min (~1150 words)
Which meant I had to rush through my creative and somehow did it in 25 min (~950 words) wtf.....?

So the extra time I spent scribbling out illegible words and rewriting them :)

Keelan134

HSC
The essay killed me. It completely disadvantages people who did Skrzynecki's 'immigration chronicles', and my related text was 'Of mice and men' so double whammy. Farkkk, got 15/15 for trials, now only looking at a 12-13.
Which poems did you do? If I had prepared for 10 Mary street or St.pats I woulda been cheering, ending up doing Feliks and Ancestors, that should be right

micwes12

HSC
Yeah I'm glad I didnt end up memorising my essay, it probaby would have freaked me out and I wouldn't have written a decent answer.

BandarSingh

HSC
I was quite put off by the stimulus for the creative. So I quickly checked the rubric and it didn't say that we will be marked on our ability to use the stimulus as a central idea. So i just sorta mentioned it in there a bit...screw having it as the central point lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)