General Thoughts - Mathematics Extension 2 (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Re: General Thoughts - Maths Extension 2

People were confident of getting full marks last year because it was so easy, but no-one actually did. From what I heard the top raw mark was 118/120 last year. Will it happen this year?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

Trebla said:
People were confident of getting full marks last year because it was so easy, but no-one actually did. From what I heard the top raw mark was 118/120 last year. Will it happen this year?
I would think that is possible this year, the only real issue was time and not the difficulty of the paper.

appleide

HSC

>3< What % do you think it would take to get into band 6?

I think I got 70ish percent raw. and you guys all go "Omg I got 95%".........................
So.... do you consider yourselves top 96% in the state? if not then I am screwed....................

noobking

HSC
Re: How did everyone go?

i left out around 30 marks.....is it very bad?

G

gaoOO

Trebla said:
i think there's a good possibility of someone getting full marks. i mean, personally, i think i got all the proofs without fudging and it's just going to be how well i went on the numerical cases. I feel better now that it seems others got the same answer as me for the last question.

Yip

HSC

Trebla said:
Didn't Stephanie Wang get a 120 last year? I also know another guy, Ning, who got an exam mark of 100 for 4u, which implies a 120 as well? (I was under the impression that u only get 100 exam only if u actually get full marks for the paper)

kony

HSC

Trebla said:
definitely. expect to see lots of ties for full marks :)

vladimirv

HSC

Yea last year the top mark was 118.
But this test seemed even easier, and a lot of the questions at the end of the paper were show questions, which means a lot less careless mistakes.
Still, a lot of people won't go as well as they thought so i rekon a few 120s

vladimirv

HSC

Nah you dont have to get 120 to get 100. I talked to stephanie wang, she said she got 118. I dont know her source but just thought id say that

G

gaoOO

Yip said:
Didn't Stephanie Wang get a 120 last year? I also know another guy, Ning, who got an exam mark of 100 for 4u, which implies a 120 as well? (I was under the impression that u only get 100 exam only if u actually get full marks for the paper)
that doesn't make sense because i thought state rankings were based mainly on external marks

divyachaddha

HSC

omg....am i lyk the only one who found that paper hard!!!??!!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Yip said:
Apparently that wasn't the case. Steph's friends said that she got 118/120, not sure where that came from though...they were also apparently shocked that nobody got full marks last year, considering a lot of the guys I know who got state rankings for it found that exam a joke...

fishy89sg

HSC

SoulSearcher said:
I would think that is possible this year, the only real issue was time and not the difficulty of the paper.
omg i fell better now. there was about 8 marks i couldve done but didnt cause i ran outta time.

G

gaoOO

Bonarius said:
Last question was just pie not pie^2 on 2.

Check it with the calculator if you like just sub in a large number
a large number doesn't equal infinity.

But actually, i do want to know what was wrong with the way i did the question, because while i wasn't sure about the answer, i can't see an immediate flaw in my reasoning.

lim n--> infinity of 2 (sin pi/2n)^2

as n approaches infinity, pi/2n approaches zero. But lim x--> 0 of sin x = x

therefore it is equal to 2 (pi/2n)^2
= pi^2/2

btw, how do people find out their raw mark? i think the 118/120 is probably her guess as opposed to a released mark, right?

kony

HSC

the answer of pi²/2 is correct.

and it's probably steph's guess, though that's likely to be accurate.

hey trebla, you haven't seen the paper right?

vladimirv

HSC

gaoOO said:
a large number doesn't equal infinity.

But actually, i do want to know what was wrong with the way i did the question, because while i wasn't sure about the answer, i can't see an immediate flaw in my reasoning.

lim n--> infinity of 2 (sin pi/2n)^2

as n approaches infinity, pi/2n approaches zero. But lim x--> 0 of sin x = x

therefore it is equal to 2 (pi/2n)^2
= pi^2/2

btw, how do people find out their raw mark? i think the 118/120 is probably her guess as opposed to a released mark, right?

pi^2/2 is correct, both theoretically and if u put in like 10000 in ur calculator. Whoever said it was pi/2 forgot to square the expression in the brackets

vladimirv

HSC

kony said:
the answer of pi²/2 is correct.

and it's probably steph's guess, though that's likely to be accurate.

hey trebla, you haven't seen the paper right?

steph said that someone told her, maybe a teacher from ruse with connections or maybe she has connections herself dunno
someone else asked how she knew her mark
she said that the guy who told her knew the top mark

wangurflapper88

wishforwings
HSC

i pwned it

probably 118-120

fuck yes...

jah_lu

HSC
N/A

does the board release any raw marks?
or is it just from markers leaking it to their students?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)