General Thoughts: Modern History 2008 HSC Exam (1 Viewer)

sbrooks

HSC
Re: Howd you find it?

WW1: pretty easy. although i always lose a mark or two on the 10-markers..

Russia [option b]: EPIC. FAIL. will i even get 5/25? who knows...

Trotsky: not bad. pretty easy to analyse using the quote [which was really gay imo. "history is about winner". pssh]

indochina [option a]: again, not bad. could've done worse, but could've done better.

but it's over now. done and dusted. don't really know and don't really care how i went. i know i'll do well enough to scrape myself into uni, and that's all that matters :)

tam18681

HSC
Re: How was modern Exam?

gem.in.rough said:
Overall I thought the exam was REALLY good. Before it, I kept thinking 'oh they are going to pull something out of left field or something from last year' (cuz I mainly studied what they hadn't done) and they didn't! You could have predicted it. I even couldn't decide between the Germany questions cuz they were both so good! The worst was Cold War, didn't have enough time and my hand was really sore. The good thing is: It's over now!!! Whoo-hoo no more Modern History!!!

But... does anyone go into an exam and start thinking about things you shouldn't be thinking about, like movies or what your going to have for dinner, cuz I kept finding myself getting distracted while my pen had a mind of its own. It was weird...

Lol all the time. We all do. In the middle of an essay my brain switches to what im gona eat when i get home or whatever. Wonder what random things I've written without realising.
'Winner'? Could the essay come out sounding any more stupid? 'In some ways he was a'winner', but he was also a 'loser''.
Paper was perfect. Hate that I wasted all that time and brainspace expecting them to be bad questions.
It's done now. Can't change anything. Fingers crossed.

WW1 extra. 10-15 for each section.

L-dog

HSC

Ian Paisley was def not a winner.. did anyone else do him as a personality? Im pretty sure my school is the only one.

skitzoid

HSC

Part One was simple, Germany (a) was awesome, Speer "history is about winners", im still trying to get over the fact that it sucked and by the time i got to cold war i was out of brain power. But all in all it wasnt too bad

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Re: How was modern Exam?

Scissors said:
i don't do this subject, but i just thought i'd tell you guys that a guy in my school wrote 24 pages for one of the essays. lol.
Doesn't make any difference; it could have been 24 irrelevant or badly-structured pages.
Could get a worse mark than someone who wrote 6. All depends on the argument.

PeterRickards

HSC

jokerj said:
yeah overall i thought pretty easy paper
Both Germany questions i was cheering with haha but i did b
the personality was a shit quote for albert speer, but i managed
to argue against it pretty well.. ended up with 10 pages for that (thats a and b :p)
core wasn't too bad.. and i did conflict in the pacific which was a fairly easy
question.. i'm going for band 5.. but hopefully a 6:D

how come u argued against speer????

in pretty much everythnig he did he was a winner if u cuont "being succesful and overcoming barriers" as winning...

like maybe only thing he didnt win at was being captured by allies, but still he was able to prove himself as a penitent nazi and in doing so got off wtih only 2 counts of international crime....
wouldnt that be counted as winning...

lochi90

HSC

yeah i agree
speer was definitely a winner
his ability to first burst out of the depression with his architectual feats, his ability to learn hitlers ambitions and play to them, combined with the fact he solely prolonged the German war effort by a yr thnks to his organisational skills and his ability to escape with his life from Nuremberg when he should have lost it (poor Sauckel) makes Speer a winner
Not to mention an international best selling book! he def had one or two virtues attached to his name...
for rest of exam:
WW1 was easy
Germany was way easier than i was expecting, got exact question i wanted
Cold War was a bit of a doozey
alright over all though:eek:

Dis Amrahs

HSC

The Nazi questions were brilliant. Pacific was a bit dodgy but i reckon i did fine. Speer...pffft.

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC

As i said in smoe other random thread.

If you dont agree speer was a winner in history... u need to re - learn ure personality.

Hes a winner in so many levels, with the utter most basic example of him escaping death at Nuremberg. Not only did he evade the death penalty, he also made a LOT of money through his books.

But the real reason as to why he was a winner, was because of his personality. He was pragmatic and "a chameleon" he would understand his surroundings and was much much more intelligent than the other Nazis.

Its the fact there is soo much controversy surrounding Speer about whether he knew or didn't know of the extermination of the jews, that makes him a winner, beacuse through the discussion; he is some what "immortalised" in History as being the person that escaped death, and the guy that was just too dam sneaky.

f(sex)

HSC

leon trotsky was the ultimate loser
he was all like
IM DA BEST
and then he got an ice pick in his head
that is soooooo winner

treehat

HSC

Why did everyone find WW1 easy ahh. I didnt know any detail about weapons really. Do you think its ok that I only talked about 2 weapons lol?

Greta08

HSC

i think the essay were easy to figure out, most people in my class had figured out the essays they would talk about and it was right!
and War in the Pacific!
allied and jap occuopation was so easy, you could see it coming form lasr eyars question...
ww1 was hard, they twisted the question!
would be very happy with above 85 i think!

bonger88

HSC
N/A

just a question - how important are the verbs 'assess' or 'account for' in modern? if you've made a judgement on something (and evaluated events) but the question asks for an explanation, do you lose marks?

bonger88

HSC
N/A

sorry just to clarify this was in regards to the weimar question (successes and failures) if you added the little extra and said, the failures greatly outweighed the successes instead of just evaluating them would that lose you marks? .(

HSC

bonger88 said:
sorry just to clarify this was in regards to the weimar question (successes and failures) if you added the little extra and said, the failures greatly outweighed the successes instead of just evaluating them would that lose you marks? .(
if they question specified "evaluate" then yes
usually if you don't answer the question you can't get <21

bonger88

HSC
N/A

nirvanafreak02 said:
if they question specified "evaluate" then yes
usually if you don't answer the question you can't get <21
oh dear. Even if the question said 'account for' and you answered it, plus added your own opinion?

HSC

bonger88 said:
oh dear. Even if the question said 'account for' and you answered it, plus added your own opinion?
if it said 'account for' and you accounted for that's all you needed to do, own opinion isn't required, but the fact that you did add it in will help not hinder

rach19

HSC
I stuffed most of the exam. Prepared for totalitarianism for Germany which was good, and Cold war okay, speer not sure. Section 1 was alright but I forgot to mension barbed wire for new technology. =( Had the flu so I didnt concentrate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)